PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllboredlll View Post
OEM ROM's sometimes dont run all applications. You might need to relax the security with a regedit. I'm not sure which one off of the top of my head but that's what search is for also.
Part of this is off-topic - my apologies, but since the question was asked...

I've played around with the Windows Mobile security policy settings - that's how I reached the conclusion that it isn't a security problem but something the application is seeking that wasn't installed and isn't in my stock ROM.

For reference, a good write-up of the WM6 security model and policies can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa455966.aspx

Each security policy ID (given as a decimal value) corresponds to a key under HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies (intentional duplication of the word Policies). The key itself is a 32b hex (so for example security policy ID 4102 (Unsigned Applications Poilcy) corresponds to key 00001006. The value of the key is typically an enable/disable (0 or 1), possibly a range of values (0, 1, 2) or a bitmask corresponding to approved roles. The roles can be found in the same write-up.

If I set policy 4102 to 0 (prevent unsigned applications from running) then the QuickGPS application won't even start. Nor will Total Commander or several others. Setting it to 1 allows QuickGPS to give me the component missing error.

As with any RegEdit - you can get yourself into trouble. Playing with security policies can break applications or worse, lock you out of your device even though it is booting fine. Make sure you can active sync, and I recommend an off-line registry editor such as CERegEdit. Whatever you do don't set policy 4133 to 0 - as long as this is 1, you shoudl be able to undo a security policy mistake from your remote registry editor.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPalmOS View Post
Part of this is off-topic - my apologies, but since the question was asked...

I've played around with the Windows Mobile security policy settings - that's how I reached the conclusion that it isn't a security problem but something the application is seeking that wasn't installed and isn't in my stock ROM.

For reference, a good write-up of the WM6 security model and policies can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa455966.aspx

Each security policy ID (given as a decimal value) corresponds to a key under HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies (intentional duplication of the word Policies). The key itself is a 32b hex (so for example security policy ID 4102 (Unsigned Applications Poilcy) corresponds to key 00001006. The value of the key is typically an enable/disable (0 or 1), possibly a range of values (0, 1, 2) or a bitmask corresponding to approved roles. The roles can be found in the same write-up.

If I set policy 4102 to 0 (prevent unsigned applications from running) then the QuickGPS application won't even start. Nor will Total Commander or several others. Setting it to 1 allows QuickGPS to give me the component missing error.

As with any RegEdit - you can get yourself into trouble. Playing with security policies can break applications or worse, lock you out of your device even though it is booting fine. Make sure you can active sync, and I recommend an off-line registry editor such as CERegEdit. Whatever you do don't set policy 4133 to 0 - as long as this is 1, you shoudl be able to undo a security policy mistake from your remote registry editor.

First off....I don't need a lesson in registry construction... secondly this thread isnt about QuickGPS or registry issues with applications... thirdly I told you it was most likely your ROM... if it isnt that then you got the wrong copy of QuickGPS....last but not least....long involved posts don't make you an expert... so please stop trying to glorify yourself by doing so... there are 53 pages of post in this thread and it's getting hard for people to dig information out due to this.... if you're not posting about how to get the GPS Fix to work or posting about having issues/success ... then you are most likely in the wrong thread

Accepted NOT Expected

Last edited by lllboredlll; 01-01-2009 at 05:02 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2-happy to see not crippled

froader knows their stufffroader knows their stufffroader knows their stufffroader knows their stufffroader knows their stufffroader knows their stuff

Its very strange, i am now getting a roaming triangle. i have been using the latest fix without any problems in the zip code 93101. I just traveled to zip 92024 and now have a roaming triangle. i have never had a roaming triangle here before and 3 other vzw phones are running normal. I am using GC's kitchen 1.5 i believe it is and re-applied the ppst gps fix which I know is the correct one. No big deal really, just thought it was strange.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: verizon

clubprerit is a n00b

why does the lock take over 2 minutes everytime? i did the 2nd phase of the upgrade, i get a lock, but it takes waaaay too long. any help or advice??
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ljclifton is just getting started

whats the best program to utilize with the GPS fix. Google Nav?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljclifton View Post
whats the best program to utilize with the GPS fix. Google Nav?
I use Garmin Mobile XT and that works good for me. But if your looking for something for free, I like Google Maps or Live search.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by froader View Post
Its very strange, i am now getting a roaming triangle. i have been using the latest fix without any problems in the zip code 93101. I just traveled to zip 92024 and now have a roaming triangle. i have never had a roaming triangle here before and 3 other vzw phones are running normal. I am using GC's kitchen 1.5 i believe it is and re-applied the ppst gps fix which I know is the correct one. No big deal really, just thought it was strange.
Did you reprogram so you could get the most current system info and PRL?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Hey bored, Any headway on the aGPS?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
N00b

dividebyzero is just getting started

I think I asked this before and sorry for being an idiot.

1> What is aGPS?

2> Depending on the answer to number 1, how do we know aGPS isn't working?

If it has to do with how well/fast the program locks satellites, then I would think it's already working as fast as it's been locking. When outside I get 6 satellites in maybe 5 seconds but then again I 'm closer to the equator than most of america.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividebyzero View Post
I think I asked this before and sorry for being an idiot.

1> What is aGPS?

2> Depending on the answer to number 1, how do we know aGPS isn't working?

If it has to do with how well/fast the program locks satellites, then I would think it's already working as fast as it's been locking. When outside I get 6 satellites in maybe 5 seconds but then again I 'm closer to the equator than most of america.
aGPS means assisted GPS. "Very often cellular network towers have GPS receivers (or a base station nearby) and those receivers are constantly pulling down satellite information and computing the data. This data is then sent to the cellular phone (when requested) and acts like a “cheat” since the relevant satellites to your location are already identified and all that GPS computations is handled by 3rd party computers."

As far as I know aGPS isnt working with the Verizon TP right now. Bored is still working on that.

Last edited by kyle4269; 01-01-2009 at 10:48 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro