PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

...I would never complain about free cords...

But I think you've done enough. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Weapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuffWeapondrift knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
...I would never complain about free cords...

But I think you've done enough. Thanks again.
lol im actually impressed that it only took you what...two days...lol man your fast.

DavidinCT "I was going to say something like......So I bumped into your girl and noticed the cheeze...then she said she was happy to find a real man....but, I just cant"
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (RAPH 500)
Carrier: Verizon

x4osw0n is a n00b

So I have uploaded a copy of my working version from my verizon 500 (XV6850):

http://drop.io/oibsgic

This one is almost good enough for daily use on this crippled phone (seriously, winmo itself isn't a hell of a lot more stable, especially with touchflo enabled). It does hang a bit, especially with regards to inbound calls, but I can receive calls, and do the whole thing. Wi-Fi works, and in fact 3g data works great (as I am writing this I am streaming music from Slacker, on my headset).

So, from what I can tell the big pieces left are: speed, stability and camera. Everything else is at least as functional as it is on the windows iteration of this phone (the gps has always been lackluster thanks to VZ). I am really curious if moving the development tree to 2.2 is going to be a boon to us on these older handsets since speed increases are the big deal there (JIT is a wonderful thing). But for now I will try spending as much time as I can in android since it feels so much more modern than the winmo interface.

Again, I can't thank you guys (Makkonen and Weapondrift) enough for the work on this. In the space of a couple days, android was promoted from a minor curiosity to a full fledged option.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Have you tried the GPS? I don't know what the status of GPS on VZW in WinMo was... did it ever work?

I'm getting a lot of hangs and ANRs, but otherwise it's usable. A stripped down low-memory-usage version would not go amiss on this phone. I really have no idea how much effect JIT will have.

Thanks for the package -- I swear I'm going to put one together myself (for all 3 phones I care about) and stick it on the first page soon, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. (And I haven't even tried GPS or turbo mode yet, either.)
Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i'm sure nothing you don't know already but the turbo works pretty well on the raph800. noticeable speed increase and i haven't noticed any stability issues.

i just installed the overclock widget as mentioned in a thread on xda. it supposed to clock down the processor when in deepsleep so hopefully it will increase battery life for us.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

Nice. Hope it helps.

Of course, the big drain is the cdma radio, and that's a long way from getting optimized -- but every other step in the right direction is good, too.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Lurker
Carrier: Bell

xgumbyx is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
Nice. Hope it helps.

Of course, the big drain is the cdma radio, and that's a long way from getting optimized -- but every other step in the right direction is good, too.
Perhaps this is a really n00b question, but what makes the cdma radio so hard to optimize?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i'd say lack of people working on it. we have 2 maybe 3 devs on cdma. the rest are gsm.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgumbyx View Post
Perhaps this is a really n00b question, but what makes the cdma radio so hard to optimize?
What hamagc said, most of the devs are from other countries - we're pretty much the only country in the world that uses CDMA so much, other than maybe Canada or China...

Excuse my ignorance, but where is more information on 'turbo mode'? I've seen a few people reference it, but I have no idea what it entails. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

tubro mode was put in by bzo. this came at the same time as GPS so it wasn't that big of news at the time lol.

not very much info on it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzo
Also of potential interest to you guys is my "turbo" mode patch. It overclocks the memory to give a little performance boost like newer devices like the TP2. It may cause some stability issues however. If you want to give it a try, get the latest kernel from:

http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/

and add acpuclock.force_turbo=1 to your startup.txt
like i said it seems quicker and i haven't seen any stability issues yet.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux