PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

CrossXcalibur is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800)

I just followed the info in the F.A.Q.'s. It tells you to put 'Internet' in 'APN' and 'Android' under 'Name'. The first few times I did this I got nothing and in fact Android crashed again and again and again.... I just took a ventured guess at placing #777 in Username (could be Login Name also) since I had read about putting your phone number in that field. That didn't make sense to me since I knew my phone dialed out #777 to connect to wireless data. Now it could just be a fluke that it finally worked for the APN and Name fields and the #777 has nothing at all to do with it. I just know it finally started working for me AFTER I put this in the field along with the other two. Hope it works for you mate. I know this is still a rough BETA so we are lucky to have any of this working. Great thanks to the guys busting it to make this happen!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

xxmillertimexx is just getting started

That helps a lot. I'm booting in now and I will try it. I'll let you know real quick and see how it goes. Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

As I'm scrolling through, there's a lot of options to input in so I was wondering if you could read my down in the order that your APN appears? It's still not working for me with #777 in the username field. Mine is as follows, you can confirm it if it's the same for you.

Name: Android
APN: internet
Proxy: none
Port: none
Username: #777
Password: None
Server: none
MMSC: none
MMS proxy: none
MMS port: none
MCC: 310
MNC: 995
Authentication Type: none
APN type: none
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sorry it hasn't worked for you.

My settings are the exact same.

One other thing, I was once told that Android may need a period of 'settling in'. I.E,... being used and rebooted a few times before this may or may not work. I had been messing around with it for some time before I tried the last thing out to get it to work, but all in all, this may just be hit or miss for right now.

You still do have the wifi option if you happen to be around any hotspot areas or if you have that at home and/or work. It's not the same but at least you get a chance to test drive out some of the other areas of Android in the mean time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourborfrombk View Post
the battery draining is sick cause i hardly use the winmo anymore...an lets say if i use the blackstone startup.txt would the resolution be different cause i notice when i had first started tinkering with this android thing my screen resolution looked much better (ie. items on android look smaller naturally) an if so would that cause compatibility issue with the apps?
blackstone startup.txt probably wouldn't do you any good. You can open up the raph800 startup.txt (just the default startup.txt in my package) and mess with the lcd.density=XXX settings. It doesn't change the screen resolution, but it does change how Android interprets it. Warning: If you change it, there's a good chance that apps might start disappearing from the Market -- if they think you have a nonstandard screen size, they won't show up unless they're specially marked as being available for your screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrialex View Post
I thought the E was for Edge (2G)? I have seen it a couple times on the latest build as well. Once was when I was out in the middle of nowhere and the other time was when I was in a room with a bunch of servers. Seems to have a hard time keeping a 3G connection when I am near all that wiring...CDMA data works for most people once they put in Android/Internet for the name/apn fields, but if your carrier requires a username/password, chances are you will not be able to use that connection. There seems to be a problem with the RIL currently. Until that gets fixed, be glad WiFi works

If you open a terminal and type "su" (hit enter) then type "ifconfig" (both without quotes. This is to see if you are getting an ip from your carrier by checking your network ip settings. In the results the ppp0 entry is for CDMA (if you see tiwlan0 that is wireless, turn off wireless and wait for the 3G or E icon and try again). It will have a part with Rx & Tx. Rx seems to have 3 packets and 54 bytes if you can't connect to anything (strange because if you can't connect, how are you receiving ANY data???). If it is more than that, you 'should' have a connection. And we can go from there.
E is Edge (2G), 3G is 3G... of course, that's because this is a hacked gsm build. We don't have Edge, and our 3G is EVDO... so, really, 3G = EVDO, E = 1xRTT (2G). That could probably be fixed, but it's way down the list. And 'three gee' sounds better than 'ehv-doe' anyway.

The 3 packets and 54 bytes is probably just the handshaking to bring up the ppp connection. Doesn't really point to much either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossXcalibur View Post
I have an Alltel Touch Pro and had the same issues until I put '#777' in the 'Username' field. I did this this morning and have downloaded a bunch of free apps from the the Marketplace and finally started my own Gmail account from my phone. Funny thing, when I activated my Gmail account I got an email from Google saying, "Congratulations on your Nexus One!" I wish I did have that phone...
That's... really strange. (The #777 part). The dialing number, #777, is already hardcoded into the RIL for all CDMA devices. Putting it into the username field doesn't make much sense. But, if it works, I won't complain.

As for it thinking it's a Nexus One... I don't know why that is, but these builds are pulled from all sorts of weird bits of source floating around, so that's not too surprising. Doesn't it come up as a MyTouch when you first boot it?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thanks to the both of you, I really appreciate it. I'll keep messin with it and see how it goes. Thanks again
Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

[/QUOTE]
That's... really strange. (The #777 part). The dialing number, #777, is already hardcoded into the RIL for all CDMA devices. Putting it into the username field doesn't make much sense. But, if it works, I won't complain.

As for it thinking it's a Nexus One... I don't know why that is, but these builds are pulled from all sorts of weird bits of source floating around, so that's not too surprising. Doesn't it come up as a MyTouch when you first boot it?[/QUOTE]

I have not had anything that mentions it being MyTouch at any point. Nothing to worry about I suppose? I've gotta hand it to you mate this is really well done, regardless of the crashing issues here and there.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossXcalibur View Post
I just followed the info in the F.A.Q.'s. It tells you to put 'Internet' in 'APN' and 'Android' under 'Name'. The first few times I did this I got nothing and in fact Android crashed again and again and again.... I just took a ventured guess at placing #777 in Username (could be Login Name also) since I had read about putting your phone number in that field. That didn't make sense to me since I knew my phone dialed out #777 to connect to wireless data. Now it could just be a fluke that it finally worked for the APN and Name fields and the #777 has nothing at all to do with it. I just know it finally started working for me AFTER I put this in the field along with the other two. Hope it works for you mate. I know this is still a rough BETA so we are lucky to have any of this working. Great thanks to the guys busting it to make this happen!!!
It will reboot sometimes when you first enter that APN, but I don't think it's a normal crash. And after that -- for me and a few others, at least -- it started working. No idea why it kept rebooting for you. (Man, I end up saying 'no idea why' about a lot of things here.)

For some carriers, the username for ppp is in some form of phonenumber@carrier. That's separate from the actual number to dial, which is always #777. For others, the username and password are blank. I wonder if there's some low level info that can be pulled out of windows mobile to help figure out the correct login credentials. But I do sort of suspect that it's something in the RIL that's simply lacking.

The fact that your setup is working, with what is almost assuredly an incorrect username, is just another piece of info pointing to the username not really being where the problem is located.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D

nasa1303 is becoming a great contributor

mine rebooted itself the first couple of times i messed with it. wouldn't do data at first. finally got the settings right and now i can go to market and download whatever i want. internet working. pretty neat. just wish my screen was bigger. the hero theme actually shrinks the sides a little more. don't know what is going on with that.

it's pretty cool. once bluetooth, camera, and mic is working this will be awsome. my gps works i saw in the first post it wasn't working. i pulled up google maps and looked up my location. i guess its going off gps, maybe it is going off my data

appreciate everyones hard work and time they put into this
Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Alltel

mikel81 is becoming a great contributor

You guys really don't have data working right on install? When I first installed this, a week ago, I thought it was quite usable. I didn't have to do anything to get android running very well (calls,sms,data,gps). Everything worked except marketplace, and with an updated .sqush file It installed everything in the queue.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux