PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

dadoc04 is keeping up the good workdadoc04 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dadoc04 Send a message via Yahoo to dadoc04
Re: Very Confused .. Sprite or SPB Backup - restore Help!

+1 for SPB
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good work

is spb backup useful when ur flashing in between roms...say from stock rom to Mightymike...or even from one mightymike to another????
Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrood View Post
is spb backup useful when ur flashing in between roms...say from stock rom to Mightymike...or even from one mightymike to another????
It will work for that (there is a ROM upgrade mode) but it's not really a good idea to do that.....

~John
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

mwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
It will work for that (there is a ROM upgrade mode) but it's not really a good idea to do that.....

~John

just out of curiosity, why isnt it a good idea
Old 11-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Chuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuffChuck_IV knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrood View Post
just out of curiosity, why isnt it a good idea
Because things that you have backed up and are restoring may have been changed/updated in the new ROM. This can cause issues with the new ROM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work

OK, this is very timely for me. I have purchased Sprite Backup, so would prefer to use that, although I understand that SPB might be a better choice (and I do have access to that as well if need be).

I have a Verizon Touch Pro 2, with a defective "R" on the hardware keyboard, which Verizon is replacing with a brand new one. I have Sprite Backup on both the SD Card, as well as my PC. I want to simply make the new one the clone of the old one, including all installed programs, registry tweaks, etc. I am using the original Stock ROM that came with the device.

When I go to Sprite Backup Restore Options, according to the Help files, I want to stay in the "General" category, as this is from what should be one device that is identical to the other, but correct me if I'm wrong. The options are:

Delete All Files - Yes or No and why? I would have assumed that the way to get a clean duplicate of my current phone would be to select Yes, although No is the default option selected.

Check For Corrupt Registry - this is checked as the Default, but once again I'm uncertain what the correct choice here would be - Yes or No, and why?

System Settings - Merge or Replace? Merge is the default selection, but once again I would have thought that in my situation Replace would be the better option.

Answers and explanations appreciated (and please don't just say SPB is better - I have paid for Sprite Backup, and would like to at least know the correct way to use this program).

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 AM
JZ*
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

JZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good workJZ* is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
OK, this is very timely for me. I have purchased Sprite Backup, so would prefer to use that, although I understand that SPB might be a better choice (and I do have access to that as well if need be).

I have a Verizon Touch Pro 2, with a defective "R" on the hardware keyboard, which Verizon is replacing with a brand new one. I have Sprite Backup on both the SD Card, as well as my PC. I want to simply make the new one the clone of the old one, including all installed programs, registry tweaks, etc. I am using the original Stock ROM that came with the device.

When I go to Sprite Backup Restore Options, according to the Help files, I want to stay in the "General" category, as this is from what should be one device that is identical to the other, but correct me if I'm wrong. The options are:

Delete All Files - Yes or No and why? I would have assumed that the way to get a clean duplicate of my current phone would be to select Yes, although No is the default option selected.

Check For Corrupt Registry - this is checked as the Default, but once again I'm uncertain what the correct choice here would be - Yes or No, and why?

System Settings - Merge or Replace? Merge is the default selection, but once again I would have thought that in my situation Replace would be the better option.

Answers and explanations appreciated (and please don't just say SPB is better - I have paid for Sprite Backup, and would like to at least know the correct way to use this program).

Thanks!
I have used Sprit for years...and seem to be the lone wolf (besides you )...anyway, Sprite works well for me (I don;t have Spb, so can't refernce anything else)...OK

The best thing to do is just do a Backup of the DEVICE. First...
Choose CUSTOM BACKUP, hit next
EVERYTHING SHOULD BE CHECKED except "Storage Card", hit next
NAME THE FILE (so you know its the one you want to use when you restore it)
and CHOOSE LOCATION (Use Storage Card), hit next,
BACKUP starts...let it finish...your done.

When you get your new device, put your SD back into the device, use FILE EXPLORER to find the backup on your SD, TAP the backup file...follow the prompts to let it restore...your done.

(The above assumes you have a large enough SD to store the backup, AND your device is the same ROM etc.)

Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic S2
Carrier: sprint

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ* View Post
I have used Sprit for years...and seem to be the lone wolf (besides you )...anyway, Sprite works well for me (I don;t have Spb, so can't refernce anything else)...OK

When you get your new device, put your SD back into the device, use FILE EXPLORER to find the backup on your SD, TAP the backup file...follow the prompts to let it restore...your done.

(The above assumes you have a large enough SD to store the backup, AND your device is the same ROM etc.)

Hope this helps
the only problem with that is when you update rprl then there is a conflict. if it is the same exact phone you backing up then no issue hard reset full restore works flawleslly..

As soon as you duplicate one phone to another including system data them forget it internet never works or something always going on i tired this with spb and sprite same problem...

my conclusion is with new device only restore contacts and data files. dod not restore system files. and reload all apps/games that is the only way i can get it the phone to work same as my previous device..

again same device perfect full restore will work i use sbp and no regrets...

new phone it can be done but it little tricky same when you load new rom there always system file conflict...

my 2 cents leaarning the hard way...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ* View Post

Hope this helps
I appreciate the reply. My main question is when you do this, what are the options chosen for Restore? When you choose Restore it will use whatever options were either selected by you or were there by default if you have never made any changes to it. That's where I'd like to better understand how Sprite Backup works.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj070 View Post
the only problem with that is when you update rprl then there is a conflict. if it is the same exact phone you backing up then no issue hard reset full restore works flawleslly..

As soon as you duplicate one phone to another including system data them forget it internet never works or something always going on i tired this with spb and sprite same problem...

my conclusion is with new device only restore contacts and data files. dod not restore system files. and reload all apps/games that is the only way i can get it the phone to work same as my previous device..

again same device perfect full restore will work i use sbp and no regrets...

new phone it can be done but it little tricky same when you load new rom there always system file conflict...

my 2 cents leaarning the hard way...
Thanks for the reply and advice. I can certainly see the potential for problems when going from one different device or ROM to another, but hopefully this will not be the case for me.

I am going from one Verizon Touch Pro 2 to another, and their 'birthday' should only be a month or two apart. I will check to make sure the ROM and other software versions are the same on both phones (again, I am using the original stock ROM), and if they are identical, my original question remains as far as which Restore options are the correct ones to use for this situation.

Anybody with explicit information on the use of Sprite Backup's Restore options in this context? I posted also on Sprite's very poor support forum (very little activity), but I rely on information from the experts here!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2