PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; FROYO X GINGER CWM V3 Build/FROYO X GINGER CWM V3) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydazed
If you wanna blast back a couple years "technically" the tp2 is a PocketPC, not a smartphone. So in a dumb way the rep was right.. a Smartphone was any wm phone that didn't have a touch screen...

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App
You are absolutely correct sir.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: So, Sprint Rep Says TP2 is NOT a Smartphone!

so does this mean we can activate a touch pro 2 WITHOUT paying the extra $10 for smart phone data?

my brother (dumb phone) wants to get a TP2 like my sister and I have but we are afraid they will charge him the $10 extra for "smart phone" data (Sero plan)

thoughts?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
so does this mean we can activate a touch pro 2 WITHOUT paying the extra $10 for smart phone data?

my brother (dumb phone) wants to get a TP2 like my sister and I have but we are afraid they will charge him the $10 extra for "smart phone" data (Sero plan)

thoughts?
yes, there is no $10 fee on winmo phones...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

I had a similar situation.
WAAAAY back when the palm pre was introcuded, I wanted to get it, and I had a lg rumor at the time, the sprint rep said Id have to upgrade my plan if I wanted to get it.

So I didnt.

But then I got the touch pro 2 from a friend and they changed it out just fine. No changes to the plan at all.

So I was thinking about getting an evo shift and the rep I was talking to said that Id have to upgrade.

I told her how I had boughten the tp2 and brought it in and wasnt asked to upgrade and didnt have any changes to my sprint account.

She didnt go on the android rant though, she simply said, "The touch pro 2 and a few select other phones from its time dont concume the same amount of data, so thats why we can let them slide. Now if you were to get a newer generation phone like the evo's, many android style phones, or even the newer windows phone they are releaceing, they have much higher data consumption rate and would require a new plan to be able to give thoes type of phones the prouper...'allowance' of internet and other information to let them run at their best."

I guess she knew what she was talking about.. but I had also needed the screen fixed on my phone and she said that even if I didnt have insurance, their repair center on the other side of town might be able to fix it still if I paid for it.

so she gave me the number and when I called and told them the situation the guy only said
"ok, to get the record straight, if you do not have an instore insurance plan, or anytype of warentee for you phone... we, WILL NOT, touch your phone, period."

Then he pretty much waited for me to hang up
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

LOL, I gotta laugh! I've spent several hours on the phone (landline) with sprint support and my local ISP becuase I could not get text or data on my TP2. Several resets of the phone, airvana, network and nothing. But, everything worked outside of my house.

The funny thing is that while on the phone with SEVERAL sprint techs, they repeatedly referred to my TP2 as a "smartphone". I laughed and told them what the CSR I spoke with said and the tech laughed saying "of course the TP2 is a smartphone".

@ aedon, I'd love to see what the average data consumption is for an android phone. I end up using a couple gigs on my WM phone per month and thats not really heavy use for me.

@ everyone else,
Thanks for the responses. IMO, Sprint is not gonna budge on it so I'm stuck with my TP2 as long as I can milk it along and not break it.

The EVO I got is really nice and works great as a mini wifi tablet. I can run the apps I need for school... I just look like a dork with two phones...

David
Old 08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Folks. lets be real. a heavy tp2 users WILL use just as much data on a TP2 (if not MORE) than on an android handset.

the excuse that they use more data is nothing but CYA. ie they need a legitimate sounding excuse to REFUSE to let you use the newer phone as one more way to try and force you to upgrade your plan.

nothing more.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Folks. lets be real. a heavy tp2 users WILL use just as much data on a TP2 (if not MORE) than on an android handset.

@nerys hmm I don't know before I got my arrive my data usage never went over 2GB with my tp2. now that I have my arrive im using no less than 2GB a month so it depends on what one does, I know u can use alot of data by tethering and on the arrive and the android phones there are alot of data intensive streaming media apps.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
@nerys hmm I don't know before I got my arrive my data usage never went over 2GB with my tp2. now that I have my arrive im using no less than 2GB a month so it depends on what one does, I know u can use alot of data by tethering and on the arrive and the android phones there are alot of data intensive streaming media apps.
Ya, I figure as much, almost every app Ive installed on my tp2 android port tells me it used gps, wifi, data recording blahblahbalh.

Almost everything I use on android constantly uses data.

especially pandora, wich I use almost nonstop.

But ya, I def concider the tp2 a smartphone, I dont care what anyone ses.

And yes, people could use just as much if not more data compared to an android device depending on their use of it.

Like ive said, I use pandora all day on windows mobile and on the android port.

And I tether my phones internet almost every day cause the internet on my phone is faster then my schools net.

Or at least it used to be, now my phones being retaurded
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: i760
Carrier: vzw

rbyham is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

So does this mean that I would qualify for the $100 trade-in soon to be launched at Big Red? Verizon to offer a $100 trade-in for basic phone customers to get a smartphone - Phone Arena
Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
So does this mean that I would qualify for the $100 trade-in soon to be launched at Big Red? Verizon to offer a $100 trade-in for basic phone customers to get a smartphone - Phone Arena

I wouldnt know dude.. but it never hurts to try
In either case, Im sure they are just looking for people to come sigh contracts so regaurdless of the phones brought in im pretty sure your gana still get the paper in your face for a 2 year activation on one of their phones

Last edited by aedon; 08-14-2011 at 03:50 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2