PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which phone should I get?
HTC EVO 11 11.83%
EPIC 4g 9 9.68%
HTC ARRIVE 14 15.05%
HTC EVO 3D 45 48.39%
Galaxy S II 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Dont want to give up my TP2, But is it time?

So far, from what I've seen and read, the Arrive, while superior from a hardware standpoint, is otherwise a step down from the TP2. Until hackers can "unlock" it, such as customization and tethering can be accomplished, I'd stick with the TP2. If you must have a new phone, many praise the Android phones as having more in common with WM 6.5 than W7 phones as far as business users are concerned. WP 7 appears to "dumbed down" to allow M$ to compete with Apple for the consumer market.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 AM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower

Excellent view points! Plus developers are still supporting windows mobile. There is a free Angry Birds Adventure Platform game , its simple and fun like iphone games out for our devices. Keep your touchpro2 until a real upgrade comes out.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
So far, from what I've seen and read, the Arrive, while superior from a hardware standpoint, is otherwise a step down from the TP2. Until hackers can "unlock" it, such as customization and tethering can be accomplished, I'd stick with the TP2. If you must have a new phone, many praise the Android phones as having more in common with WM 6.5 than W7 phones as far as business users are concerned. WP 7 appears to "dumbed down" to allow M$ to compete with Apple for the consumer market.
unless uve actually tried a W7 device for more than 5 mins u don't know the half,in fact not even the basics!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Epic 4G

gjhuff is just getting started
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Gee, as a person whose used windows mobile since the days of the Hitachi G, I thought I had a good understanding of the "basics." And as one who always likes to pick up the latest technology, I thought I had spent several times in various Sprint stores experimenting with the Arrive. It's very nice of you Eric to disabuse me of my illusions. I must have imagined my disappointment that the Arrive was less functional than the TP2 in many respects.

Now, if I could only learn to post in your elegant and correct style. Sigh.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhuff View Post
Gee, as a person whose used windows mobile since the days of the Hitachi G, I thought I had a good understanding of the "basics." And as one who always likes to pick up the latest technology, I thought I had spent several times in various Sprint stores experimenting with the Arrive. It's very nice of you Eric to disabuse me of my illusions. I must have imagined my disappointment that the Arrive was less functional than the TP2 in many respects.

Now, if I could only learn to post in your elegant and correct style. Sigh.
nope not even the basics. wm is still there its just that things are more streamlined allowing fir a much more smooth and stable out of the box experience. something that u couldn't get with wm 6.5 and Android without tweaks and yes I've tried the Android build on my tp2 and it isn't anymore stable than a freshly flashed 21916 rom. keep in mind I've been with wm for awhile too (since 2005) so I know what im talking about and also considering that im a VIP and ur just a lurker.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc 6900 > HTC TP2>Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: Metro PCS

pl0323 is keeping up the good workpl0323 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I know you like change see alot of you at Timberwolf and Sharkie.
I went from TP2 to galaxy, miss the TP2, however the processors on newer phones are lightning fast.

I'd check the forums and see who is making the android roms and stick with that crowd, more support the more comfortable you will be.

No one can tell you which is the best phone, it's all about what fits you best, hell, I can remember having a MA Bell rotary phone!!!!

Best of luck
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
wm is still there its just that things are more streamlined allowing fir a much more smooth and stable out of the box experience. something that u couldn't get with wm 6.5 and Android without tweaks....
Hey Eric you have best position to respond to my inquiries,
but anyone else please chime in.

I amin same position to be ready to move on,
but I admit, don't like change as now I have to relearn all stuff.

I was wanting the "HTC Arrive" as it look most like my TP2,
so I started looking into various comments to a few reviews.

but I read and found 17 various most posted issues,
both trivial and major ones.
So wondering if anyone knows when/if some can be resolved,
or if they exist at all.
Or I may be moving onto Evo3D in Nov.

Here they are(posted from various threads):
1--No Front Facing Camera,
2--No International GSM Support
3--No custom ringtones
4--Limited app library
5--Text messages just stop at 160 characters
6--No multi-tasking
7--No Sprint Live Football
8--Netflix video needlessly pixelated even when on wifi
9--No 4G,yet still have to pay 10 more
10--No FaceTime
11-Absence of sync with Outlook, no Mobile Device Centersync!
12-You can't use it as a drive when connected to a PC
13-There are a few places where the display doesn't flip to landscape mode
14-Keyboard can be difficult to slide out sometimes
15-Lack of microSD slot
16-Zune required for media Sync.
17-Too much swipping is involved if u have lots of apps,
due to the Vertical arrangement.

I am not sure 100% even if these problems exist as I don't have an Arrive,
So don't take this post wrong as if i am knocking it,

I would just like some clarification from those that know.
I'm shure we could take any device and make a similar list.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
nope not even the basics. wm is still there its just that things are more streamlined allowing fir a much more smooth and stable out of the box experience. something that u couldn't get with wm 6.5 and Android without tweaks and yes I've tried the Android build on my tp2 and it isn't anymore stable than a freshly flashed 21916 rom. keep in mind I've been with wm for awhile too (since 2005) so I know what im talking about and also considering that im a VIP and ur just a lurker.
The biggest reason why Android has advantage over winmo custom roms is that Android has working drivers...if you load up the experimental drivers made by the community you would see some things run faster but they were never completed so they aren't very stable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
If your going to upgrade in november..might as well grab a Tegra 3 quad-core that Nvidia promised by en of year :/

Quote:
1--No Front Facing Camera,
10--No FaceTime
This is the same question...and facetime is apple only...you mean Skype/Qik/Oovoo?

Quote:
6--No multi-tasking
There is multi-tasking for M$ stuff but no 3rd party multitasking yet..I think in mango?

Everything else I'll let someone with the device clarify..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
Hey Eric you have best position to respond to my inquiries,
but anyone else please chime in.

I amin same position to be ready to move on,
but I admit, don't like change as now I have to relearn all stuff.

I was wanting the "HTC Arrive" as it look most like my TP2,
so I started looking into various comments to a few reviews.

but I read and found 17 various most posted issues,
both trivial and major ones.
So wondering if anyone knows when/if some can be resolved,
or if they exist at all.

Here they are(posted from various threads):
1--No Front Facing Camera, there may be an addon that will mirror the rear camera over to the front
2--No International GSM Support the arrive doesn't but the upcoming mazaa will
3--No custom ringtones coming in mango
4--Limited app library 13,000 and rising wp7 has faster app development than bb,iOS and Android did in its first year
5--Text messages just stop at 160 characters not a big deal since its so simple to continue typing after send and the person doesn't get the messages any slower,may be fixed in an manufacturer update
6--No multi-tasking not a big deal to me as some apps allow background push notifications but its coming in mango
7--No Sprint Live Football this was crap anyway and there are equivalent apps
8--Netflix video needlessly pixelated even when on wifi only if u started watching on a 3G connection it clears up after a few minutes
9--No 4G,yet still have to pay 10 more carrier issue not an MS issue. 4G is a battery sucker anyway
10--No FaceTime see #1
11-Absence of sync with Outlook, no Mobile Device Centersync! u can link outlook account to hotmail and then they will sync seamlessly
12-You can't use it as a drive when connected to a PC I posted a link to a hack that allows this in the wp7 general
13-There are a few places where the display doesn't flip to landscape mode all the apps I use flip to landscape just fine. even in WM this issue was present
14-Keyboard can be difficult to slide out sometimes not much more difficult than the tp2
15-Lack of microSD slot 16 GB of storage is fine for most needs. there are dropbox apps and SkyDrive if more space is needed. Zune supports unlimited streaming of songs
16-Zune required for media Sync. see #12 and Zune makes it easier to edit tag info. supports WiFi sync and works perfectly with Zune pass
17-Too much swipping is involved if u have lots of apps,
due to the Vertical arrangement. alphabetical jumplist will be added in or even before mango

I am not sure 100% even if these problems exist as I don't have an Arrive,
So don't take this post wrong as if i am knocking it,

I would just like some clarification from those that know.
I'm shure we could take any device and make a similar list.
my replies are in bold above. bottom line no OS has came with a superset of features upon release but some how MS gets bashed for the same thing, gotta start somewhere.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
my replies are in bold above. bottom line no OS has came with a superset of features upon release but some how MS gets bashed for the same thing, gotta start somewhere.
H*LY SH*rTs!!
You ans. every question!
Dam good too!!..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2