PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

joeadamo is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

Like it or not - It's their sandbox and they set the rules, if you don't like the rules change carriers!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
A low class move? They are offering you the ability to have the BEST phones on the CHEAPEST plan in America. God you people are whiners. For 40 dollars a month, you are getting every single feature that any normal sprint customer pays 70 dollars a month for AND you get 50 more minutes. What makes you so special that this plan is not good enough for you? You are getting literally 43% off what everyone else in the country pays, and most likely you weren't even really eligible for the SERO plan in the first place like the majority of people who actually signed up for SERO. If you don't like it, stay with your current dumpy phone and pay the 30 a month or leave sprint altogether and end up paying at LEAST double what Sprint is offering you for anything even REMOTELY similar.
I dunno if you meant all SERO folks were whiners when you said "God you people are whiners." But if you did mean it that way, please don't put me and other folks that feel the same way in that same group. I am a very happy SERO user, and love the plan. I also dont 100% agree with the $20 for a Evo or Epic (I didnt like the move when Sprint did the $10 to regular customers) but I can understand why they did it. While I don't think I will move to the $20/mo for an Evo, I may end up doing the extra $10 to get the other services, which I do think is a fair offer. Navi, Any mobile Any Time, and Sprint TV are well worth the ten bucks, let alone getting to use Android, BIS, or WebOS if I wanted to. But I never meant in anyway to whine about my service. I would also like to think that not all SERO folks are whiney little turds.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
I dunno if you meant all SERO folks were whiners when you said "God you people are whiners." But if you did mean it that way, please don't put me and other folks that feel the same way in that same group. I am a very happy SERO user, and love the plan. I also dont 100% agree with the $20 for a Evo or Epic (I didnt like the move when Sprint did the $10 to regular customers) but I can understand why they did it. While I don't think I will move to the $20/mo for an Evo, I may end up doing the extra $10 to get the other services, which I do think is a fair offer. Navi, Any mobile Any Time, and Sprint TV are well worth the ten bucks, let alone getting to use Android, BIS, or WebOS if I wanted to. But I never meant in anyway to whine about my service. I would also like to think that not all SERO folks are whiney little turds.
I agree. No complaints Here. Although, I just took over a SERO 500 last month so I knew the restrictions.

I was happy to get my first bill this month which included my 22% discount. You won't find me complaining for $23.60/ month.

By the way Sprint TV and Nav both work fine for me, are they not working on your SERO plan??
I also have the Free Sprint to Home option with my Google Voice #, so I not only get anymobile anytime, but any number period, anytime!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I love this thread lol, especially since there is nothing on tv!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Linux Administrator

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
I agree. No complaints Here. Although, I just took over a SERO 500 last month so I knew the restrictions.

I was happy to get my first bill this month which included my 22% discount. You won't find me complaining for $23.60/ month.

By the way Sprint TV and Nav both work fine for me, are they not working on your SERO plan??
Nah, they dont work for me on my SERO. I think its kinda hit and miss with SEROs and Navi/TV. Some of the "newer" seros seem to have it, while older plans (possbily created before they launched TV and NAvi services) dont get them. I even tried them on my stock ROM before I flashed the phone and they didnt work. I get very few of the TV channels, and the navi fails on logon.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadamo View Post
Like it or not - It's their sandbox and they set the rules, if you don't like the rules change carriers!
5 years ago you come out with a service. People text 500 times a month. 1GB or less of data. Some picture mail and some minutes. $30 seems good.

Now there is android where taking and sending pictures are easier, apps and youtube eating up more data, people sending text messages like crazy, your business using cell phones only.

5 years ago you could get an all you can eat buffet for $6. Now they charge $8 for the same thing. People are getting bigger, eating more.

Your usage goes up. Prices go up. As things get easier to use you won't notice you are using way more than on windows mobile.

People set rules 5 years, 20 years, 50, 100 years ago. Those may not apply today. Times are changing and all these older people are trying to keep us behind the times when the younger people are trying to prepare for the future.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ok, I'm going to jump right in here and point out something fundamental some of you seem to be missing.

Look at AT&T for a moment, and look at what their network was before the iPhone. They used to be a pretty decent carrier, with a strong data network and happy customers. Now, their network is literally crumbling, calls dropping, data speeds not maintaining their highs, etc...
iPhone users are complaining left and right, and everyone appears to be counting down for the iphone to hit "a better network, you know, like Verizon".
What many people are failing to realize is that this would likely happen to ANY network the iPhone launched on, even VZ. Why is that? One could argue that the iPhone doesn't use any more data than the Windows Mobile phones that have existed on AT&T for ages. Why all of the sudden does the iPhone crumble their network?

Simple. It brought heavy-usage to the public. Once upon a time it was just a percentage of geeks and power users (the kind who read this site, for example) who really knew how to make the most of the mobile web.
The iPhone suddenly made the mobile web accessible to everyone and their grandma (who doesn't even own a computer). Everyone's digging this new fangled wireless internet thing, and it caught on like fad.

Now, lets jump back to Sprint. Sprint's data network is arguably one of the best (PCWorld rated it as the most reliable us 3G network after all), and part of the reason is that they are the opposite of post-iPhone ATT. To be more specific, they had plenty of bandwidth to spare and not so many people really pushing the network to its limits. The SERO plan was a great offer and in their calculations they could still turn a profit since most people wouldn't reach the capacity of the network.
Yes, there are many of us on PPCGeeks and XDA who know how to abuse the network. Some of us have run bit torrents or tethering, racking up obscene amount of data, and Sprint didn't stop us. It was worth it for them, because thankfully not everyone on SERO was a power user like us. My wife, for example, has a Sero line like mine, but uses less than 10% of the data monthly that I do. She just checks her email on her lotus, and occasionally checks facebook with opera mini. Phones like my TP2 intimidate her, meanwhile I'm streaming netflix to my laptop with WMwifirouter while we travel. Sprint can handle people like me because they also had people like her.

But what happens when the "power users" are no longer just the geeks? That's what the Android and the WebOS devices did. They took the power of high end smart phones and made them available to the general public in a way that they never did before.
The end result? My mom had a Treo Pro, and hated it. Barely used it for anything beyond calls and texting. But she tried a Hero in the store, and was sold on it. Suddenly she wants to download apps, stream video, customize widgets, all the things she wasn't interested in doing before.

THIS is why Sprint had to change the rules. Because certain devices changed the way people use the networks limited resources. Its got nothing to do with you and how YOU use your phone. I mean, most of us have been using crazy amounts of data since day 1. That makes it very hard to understand why we suddenly have to pay more for the same services we had and the same usage we were getting from the beginning.
But the mistake we're making is in assuming everyone is like us. The plan restrictions were not put into effect because of people like us, but rather because of the balance between us and rest of SERO users wasn't playing nicely anymore.
Sure, to you and me, we're probably using the same amount of data as we were on WM for Android or WebOS, so it seems unfair. But we're not the standard. Windows Mobile is allowed on the old SERO because its not a mass market friendly device, and therefore not everyone who uses it knows how to use it like we do. Some people will use it alot, others for the bare basics. Therefore, it balances out somewhere. But if everyone on these new devices are using it like Power users, forcing Sprint to add capacity, then yeah- they need to charge more.

I don't like it, I don't think its necessarily "fair", but it makes sense. Its not unique to Sprint, either... Look at what the iPhone did to AT&T's data pricing. Devices that bring features to the mass market end up screwing up the bottom line on any carrier. I liked it better when it was just a handful of us "geeks" that knew how cool this stuff was. It was much more fun being in our own exclusive club. Ah well, Viva progress!

Last edited by dishe; 09-07-2010 at 10:17 PM.
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor

Hey nerys, you did not answer my question from before. What exactly do you want us current users to do? I want to use all phones without the $10 fee too! You specifically said yourself that us SERO customers make up maybe 1/2 of 1% of their customer base...and we are also paying them the least out of their customers as well. Should we all meet up in an alley to threaten the Sprint CEO? Cause otherwise we have absolutely no influence on what Sprint does even if we all complain to HQ. You realize that even if you leave, they won't care right? One of their regular customers paying $70/month can cover a loss of two SERO customers...

You also referred to how unfair it is about subsidized phones versus ones you buy straight out. Yes, Verizon and Sprint limits the phones you use no matter how to obtain the phone and T-mobile and AT&T doesn't. You realize T-Mobile and AT&T don't because they can't right? They are actively working on new ways to detect which phone you are putting your sim card into. Many people have reported that AT&T have sometimes not only detect that they are using a smartphone...but automatically "upgrading" them to the higher data plan without even asking them. You can be sure that the other sim providers, once they are able to know that you are using a high end device, they'll force you to use a high end data plan.

Yes, I agree, what Sprint does isn't entirely "friendly"...but then again Sprint isn't my friend nor will I ever view them as such. What they are doing is totally fair in the business world and many companies do something similar...and often much worse. As many have stated, Sprint never actually stated that all phones will be available with our plans. At the time when data-intense devices were pretty much non-existent, Sprint didn't feel the need to limit our selection. Believe me, if they could've without repercussions, Sprint wouldn't have let our Touch Pro 2's on SERO either. However since Windows Mobile has been around forever and was allowed on SERO, they couldn't justify upsetting everyone. Our TP2's are essentially a fluke in their system because it is a SERO phone that can use up a lot of data while using an "old" operating system.

If you feel so upset about it, show Sprint you mean it. Just start streaming youtube and tethering to your heart's content to get your $30 worth of service. Then if Sprint threatens to kick you out and cancel your service, argue with the rep about the definition of unlimited.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
"

AT&T Cingular (same now) metro cricket us cellular boost

all these companies you can use any phone you can make work.
As i mentioned earlier you can" make an android phone work" on Sero.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Linux Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
As i mentioned earlier you can" make an android phone work" on Sero.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
Would you mind letting us know how you do this? Other than dual booting Android on a TP2.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2