PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

I guess that kind of makes sense but you point out the very inconsistancy. Blackberries and WM phones have been around for a very long time. (most do not know you DO NOT NEED BIS to use a blackberry they work just hunky dorry with just power vision you only lose push mail (so what) and its hard to get picture mail to work right. other than that they work just fine without BIS. (I used an 8330 for a while since I like the qwerty candy bar phone style)

Its still an issue though. I can understand your point. SO do what they are doing if you upgrade. FINE. you want sprint to subsidize part of your phone then sprint has the right to set terms such as more expensive plan for certain phones.

my primary issue is this price increase ALSO applies even if you buy the phone outright.

Just buggers me thats all. so many companies are taking massively unethical paths like this (comcast direct tv dish etc.. etc.. etc..) Sprint has always been SOO GOOD about Customer first even if their Customer Support was not always the best in the end it was customer first always.

and now they are turning and burning like the other companies.

I guess I was just hoping sprint would be different.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

They were different because they were losing a lot of customers fast....now that they aren't as much, they are more focused getting money because they invested quite a bit to be the first kid on the block with 4G. Most companies are notorious for focusing on new customers and ditching the old ones (Comcast...), this is sorta a half way point to reach their old customers...not totally screwing them over but not handing it out free either.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

MinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
your analogy is flawed. this would be like you having a SUBSCRIPTION to Big Mac's and one day you come in with a nice shiny new FORK to use to eat your big mac and McDonalds says sorry to use that fork to eat this sandwich you need to pay another $10 per month.
Lets compare burgers to burgers....

You have a membership to 500 big macs for 30 dollars mnth from franchise Sprint....
It's only valid at Sprint's McD's within a designated area and Sprint McD's can change or cancel the subscription that you agreed to when you began the membership. They are the rulemakers since they drafted up the contract, provided a service at a discounted price, and the Sprint McD's paid for the overhead to make the burgers for you.

Sprint McD's gives you the option for $10 more that you can use the new angusdroid burgers instead of the meat that you had been eating since they believe the angusdroid burgers are a premium meat....
Sprint McD's also says you can use your membership at any McD's and they'll even give you rough crappy gps directions to the other McD's to eat your angusdroid burgers....

Previously they didn't allow angusdroid burgers because they didn't allow nor were they obligated by your membership to use tha angusdroid meat for your membership

mmmm angusdroid burgers
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

nerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnerys is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

no wrong analogy. the correct analogy is paper plates is what they offer you. I want to bring my new fangled CERAMIC plates and sprint says nono even though the big macs are the SAME we must charge an extra $10 if you want to use your very own ceramic plate (ie NOT plates supplied by sprint)

You keep forgetting I do not pay sprint for the phone I pay them for the SERVICE THE PHONE USES. why do you guys keep intentionally changing this aspect of this issue?

There is ZERO difference from the sprint side SERVICE WISE (ie what I am paying for) whether I use a TP2 or a Pixie. Just like there is NO difference between the paper plates and the ceramic plates to mcdonalds as THE SAME WITH THE PHONES mc****s did not supply the plates. I DID.

If they want to can my account they can do that. but WE are in control not sprint. They bend to our will or they cease to exist. The problem is when people forget this and the companies get out of control. this is how it starts. its a very very bad precident.

AGAIN all you who disagree with me. Here is my analogy again.

Gasoline is X dollars. XYZ gas station is 30% cheaper so you go their.

You upgrade your car to a new lexus but when you get to XYZ he says oh no you got a new lexus now gas is more money for you. Not different gas. No higher grade gas but JUST because you want to use it in a nicer car.

WOULD YOU STAND for that? would you consider it Ethical?

"not totally screwing them over but not handing it out free either. "

handing what out free? whats spring giving me that I have any interest in for that $20 a month? surely not the phone that I BUY with my own money and they are not cheap.

what are they giving me for free? all I want is what I have already been getting just on a different piece of silicon and plastic. thats it. (I don't even really WANT the evo or epic I am rather happy with my tp2) I am fond of the pixie though. at least the wifi version.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.3521/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

You would be buying the car knowing that gas would cost more. You buy the phone knowing that service will cost more. Just go to another gas station or another provider.

For the plates thing. You bring your own plate and Mc D gives you the same Big Mac and gives you fries and a drink for $10 more. You may not want fries and a drink but Mc Donalds doesn't care. They are giving you more for $10 and they see it as a good thing.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

You did not answer the question you avoided/altered it.

You had NO way of knowing that about the new car UNTIL the new car came into being.

all PREVIOUS new cars did not have this problem. (I changed my phone some 10 times since I got an account NEVER had a uh oh that new phone won't work issue)

so THAT twisted analogy is also busted.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

MinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
You did not answer the question you avoided/altered it.

You had NO way of knowing that about the new car UNTIL the new car came into being.

all PREVIOUS new cars did not have this problem. (I changed my phone some 10 times since I got an account NEVER had a uh oh that new phone won't work issue)

so THAT twisted analogy is also busted.
Regardless what device you buy to use for whatever service the provider makes the rules, not you buddy.....
Who cares if you buy the device at full price, they provide the service...

If you buy an Onstar device outright, Onstar decides how they'll bill or provide the service

If you buy a modem/router, the ISP decides how they'll bill or provide the service....

etc etc etc......This has been happening in America forever and ever.....

As far as Sprint locking into plans, last quarter I believe they made a profit for the 1st time
Iphone still doing strong with its requirements....

As far as you stating you didn't think sprint would go the route that doesn't please you, Sprint isn't your friend or family member its a company that you subscribe to...

As far as you busting analogies, I havn't seen you bust one yet besides your own statements being nothing more than personal preferences or opinions.....

Other posters here and myself are writing reality....
As far as you believing your in control with Sprint, that is so fiction its unbelievable to me that it seems you wholeheartly believe that....
The majority by far are going to pay up if they want a 4g phone or they are going to stay put on the regular sero for $30.....

If you want the 4g phones the bottom line is you'll have to pay up....

The majority here is willing to do it gracefully or because they feel forced, regardless sprint is in a win win situation IMO....

Build your own cell network and charge $30 for the latest and greatest and see how far that will take you against the likes of the 4 cell providors already in the bizz guy

Last edited by MinLo; 09-04-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:31 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

beserker15 is becoming a great contributor

Here's a new analogy for you. A lot of barber shops charge female prices for guys with really long hair. Women and men receive the same service (a friendly barber with some scissors cutting your hair) but for longer hair, the barber has to spend more effort. Now obviously it's your choice to grow your hair long (getting one of these new high end devices). But the barber can't charge you the same as she would if you got short hair (a non smartphone device). You are paying for the same service, it's just the service costs more (same as you using more data). Now as I point out earlier, the newer Windows Mobile 6+ phones like these Touch Pro 2's are kinda like a guy with medium hair. The barber wants to charge more obviously...but the guy can argue that his hair isn't long and he might leave thus losing a customer.

You can still choose get service with short hair (Samsung Exclaim, Rumor Touch, etc) but if you want long hair (Samsung Intercept, HTC Hero, Palm Pixie, etc), or long hair and a perm (EVO 4G, Epic 4G) you'll just be paying for the extra cost of the barber's service. It doesn't matter what type of hair you bring in before the haircut...(upgraded phone with contract or phone you buy outright with your own money), the fees is in the service (maintaining heavy data usage, building new towers, upgrading costs to 4G) and you will be charged on what the barber ASSUMES will be worth the amount for the service they are giving you. For all they know, your really long hair is easier to cut than people with really thick curly short hair (you can use a 4G just for voice and not data while a guy with an Exclaim can be streaming youtube all day)...they are still going to charge you the extra cost because they won't really know how much effort it will take before actually cutting your hair.

Last edited by beserker15; 09-04-2010 at 05:39 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

No your analogy is once again flawed (seriously what is wrong with you folks?)

to cut your longer hair the barber has to DO MORE DAMNED WORK. how is this not freaking clear to you?

If I use a Pixie or a TP2 sprint has to do NO MORE WORK. Provide me with NO MORE or ANY DIFFERENT service.

Once again I will produce a CORRECT analogy which you folks conveniently keep ignoring.

a gas station decides to charge you MORE just because you have a certain new car even though its EXACTLY the same gasoline going into the tank even though they are providing you exactly the same service.

You guys call this analogy broken. YOUR RIGHT its broken. because its FRAKING STUPID. its LUNACY to think anyone would do such a think.

Yet you keep defending sprint for doing PRECISELY that.

There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in service between a PRE and a 8330

there is absolutely NO DIFFERENT in service between a Pixie and a TP2

any difference you perceive is PURE FICTION. there is nothing I can do on any of the first 2 that I can not do equally on the latter 2 service wise.

THIS IS charging more for the same gasoline just because you pulled up in a nicer car

AND THAT IS NOT RIGHT. and it IS 100% in MY control.

this is a strange contextual problem you guys seem to be having.

"MY" is metaphorically "THE CUSTOMER BASE"

No customers No sprint. Period. End of discussion. Therefore the CUSTOMERS are in control. PERIOD end of discussion. IE "I" am in control. Not sprint.

If enough "I's" say NO that is not cool then sprint COMPLIES or SPRINT DIES.

the trick is educating enough people to say no. Instead of the sheeple you folks seem to be.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

Quote:
the trick is educating enough people to say no. Instead of the sheeple you folks seem to be.
Seriously - just stop. No one is forcing you to switch your phone or plan. No need to be dogmatic. It really is making you look arrogant, childish, and cheap.

You do realize that Sprint is throwing us a bone here, right? I think it is a nice gesture from Sprint to even offer the option. I'm fairly certain I will be using more data once I get the Epic, so if they want an extra $10/$20 - fine. Makes me feel better knowing I'm at least somewhat supporting Sprint in their push to upgrade their network and phone selection to keep pace with the other big carriers while accommodating us spoiled SERO users. $30/month plans weren't gonna last forever and its extremely shortsighted to think that Sprint would allow this forever regardless of the device you are using (BTW laughing my ass off at you comparing a Sanyo phone to a Palm or whatever was in that asinine list you assembled).

And judging from all the 'thanks' everyone but yourself is getting, it appears you are in a lonely boat. Its quite simple - Take it or leave it buddy. If you still can't get that through your hard head, I hope you leave it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2