PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 AM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New SERO Oct 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
He said he had been with Sprint for several years and it looked like he was multiplying that out by 10 years.
if anyone expects sero prices to be good for 10 more years, they are crazy. i do believe with the advent of the local unlimited plans via cricket and metro pcs will force other carriers to drop the price eventually (the us pays more for cell service than any other developed country in the world). but to expect to get a 66 percent discount for longer than the life of your first contract is something that only happens in the sunshine and lollypops world of sprint sero customers. if i were sprint, id limit sero to two contracts, then a renegotiation.

Last edited by austin420; 08-26-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Well, Sprint never does say exactly the extra fee is for 4G coverage. Sprint actually has stated in their advertising that 4G will be available for free as part of their packages.
What you are actually paying for is the "many features" that these iconic devices have. If you research the term "sprint coolness tax" you will see what I mean. Sprint never has really came out and said specifically what the "tax" is for. They will only mention that it is for all the really innovative features on the new EVO 4G.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work

You are also paying for truly unlimited data. Not like the 5GB cap or 10GB cap others have (even Sprint use to cap supposedly at 5GB before charging, though I've never gotten close to that).

The 4G fee is a "premium-data fee" which means you can litterally have 100GB or more if you want, of data and you will have 0$ extra charge. Tethering, using your 4G phone as your home internet, etc. is completely acceptable when there are no monthly bandwidth limits.

10$ a month for that is nothing, IMO though the 10$ is more for helping pay for more 4G towers and that stuff aint cheap. Early adopter fees :P

Still, I think it's perfectly acceptable. With all the extra charges, even on a regular plan, Sprint is by far the cheapest carrier out there.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Linux Administrator

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Hmm... bullet2300, are you refering to the $10 "iconic device fee" that goes active for SERO folks? or the actual $10 fee for having the Evo and Epic?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker

bullet2300 is keeping up the good workbullet2300 is keeping up the good work

I am referring specifically about the Epic/Evo $10 fee (4G fee).

The devices fee sucks, but I don't mind paying that personally :P It does indeed suck though lol.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vinterceptâ„¢
Carrier: Sprint SERO500 & Virgin Mobile

one80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on repone80oneday is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to one80oneday

The good news is that, at any time, you can downgrade back to SERO basic if you no longer use an "Iconic" or "4G" device. That means if you get the EPIC/EVO now and they come out with comparable device that's not 4G, than you can drop that fee.

I think most people are hung up on the new costs and don’t realize that this is an option and complaining here isn’t gonna change anything. I think these people see the charges like this:

Monthly Fee: $30= data + minutes + text
Iconic fee: $10= data + phone + minutes + services
4G fee: $10= data + phone

People seem to be upset that they are paying for data three times (whether it’s available to them or not), the phone twice, and for services they might not use. I think they are confused because other networks don’t charge a monthly fee for their devices or charge multiple times for the same thing. I understand Sprint’s side, love my SERO plan, and will most likely upgrade to the fullest, however a 67% increase in monthly fees will be tough.

I was initially planning to just get an EPIC come October but I am actually considering trying out an EVO (if available) for 30 days just because Sprint lets you.

Last edited by one80oneday; 08-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Linux Administrator

Well, if they do indeed give you unlimited data, wifi hotspot sharing, and tethering then thats not too bad of a deal.

Granted, I have been tethering my phone using the "stealth" modes in all of the ROMs out there anyway, but it would still be nice to do it legally without worry of being caught. Plus not having any kind of data caps makes it even better.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I was on SERO for a long time until I had to get a family plan. It's funny how it is the EASILY the cheapest data plan around but it almost creates this sort of SERO "sense of entitlement attitude". I distinctly remember when I finally had to switch to a family plan, I was thinking Sprint is really "ripping me off" with this family plan when my new plan was in reality STILL was cheaper than other carriers.

I knew in my head that I was still saving money but I still couldn't help think I was getting shafted.... and boy was it painful to depart from SERO. I came away kicking and screamin' that this was totally unfair but in reality I had is soooo good for so many years. I had nothing to complain about.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

nrupalp is a n00b

Does anyone know if you are in middle of your contract, would you be able to get new phone at discounted price or would you be charged full price for it?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
it drives me nuts when people say its only $10 more a month its only $20 more a month.

$10 a month. I have been with sprint for over 20 years. $10 more a month means $1200

$20 more a month means $2400

that is not CHUMP CHANGE to me.

when your subsidizing a phone OK you set the terms. it should however NOT be legal for sprint to "lock out" some phones like this if I buy the phone outright.

Sprint is giving me NOTHING for that $10 or $20 extra a month. I already have navigation I already have more minutes and more M2M than I will ever use.

And what the hell is with mandatory 4g $10. it should be optional. I DO NOT WANT 4G I have no need or use for 4G.
Ok then change to Verizon or AT&T and get on one of their cheaper smartphone plans without the $10 fee.. and then complain about how its more expensive. I dont complain about it because I work in corporate america and understand how businesses work.. maybe some of you dont? Do people not see all of the postings of sprint losing money even after slowing down their churn? They FINALLY posted a profit and it was at the hands of the evo launch so what does that tell you?

SMH @ folks wanting to have it both ways. You're too cheap to pay for a plan like everyone else but think you're entitled to have whatever phone you want on your plan. Maybe Sprint should just give you free unlimited phones of your choice whenever you want them too?
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2