PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Setting TP2 GPS for assisted or non-assisted mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
I am running MightyROM full force and nothing in my other settings in sense about GPS.
Thanx. Well, much appreciated if anyone running stock sprint rom can see if there's anything in the setting menu of sense which says anything about AGPS under the others submenu..

a_c_s, you run stock rom or a custom rom (which one if custom)?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Found the answer to my own question turns out the answer been all right there in the Titan forum. There are several values under supl agps that can be changed (Add them if they are not there already)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
"EnableGPSSmartMode"=dword:00000001
"GPSMode"=dword:00000002
"EnableAGPS"=dword:00000001

This came straight from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431 I believe the titan section of ppcgeeks also have extensive information in a section on this.

At any rate the main entries of interest are the gpsmode, enableagps, and enablegpssmartmode

From what I gather, setting gpsmode to 1, enableagps to 0 and enablegpssmartmode to 0 will completely put gps into a standalone mode. This is confirmed when I changed to these values. Absolutely no data connection was initiated

The most assisted mode seems to be gpsmode 2 or 4 (from what i heard, 2 is slower than 4 but gives more accurate fix with 4 only availlable with sprint), enableagps to 1 and enablegpssmartmode to 1.

It also seems that you don't have to soft reset the phone to actually change the gps mode. You only have to quit and restart a gps utilizing app to reinitialize the gps to get the new reg changes to take effect.

Much appreciate if anyone else knows more and want to comment.. Thnx

Last edited by wildpig; 06-11-2010 at 10:07 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
Found the answer to my own question turns out the answer been all right there in the Titan forum. There are several values under supl agps that can be changed (Add them if they are not there already)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\SUPL AGPS]
"EnableGPSSmartMode"=dword:00000001
"TimeBetweenFixes"=dword:00000001
"NumberFixes"=dword:3B9AC9FF
"GPSMode"=dword:00000002
"EnableAGPS"=dword:00000001

This came straight from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431 I believe the titan section of ppcgeeks also have extensive information in a section on this.

At any rate the main entries of interest are the gpsmode, enableagps, and enablegpssmartmode

From what I gather, setting gpsmode to 1, enableagps to 0 and enablegpssmartmode to 0 will completely put gps into a standalone mode. This is confirmed when I changed to these values. Absolutely no data connection was initiated

The most assisted mode seems to be gpsmode 2 or 4 (from what i heard, 2 is slower than 4 but gives more accurate fix with 4 only availlable with sprint), enableagps to 1 and enablegpssmartmode to 1.

Much appreciate if anyone else knows more and want to comment.. Thnx
Good find! Glad you worked it out! Im sure other ppl traveling overseas will be glad to know this also.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

well, it would be good if someone with the know-how maybe make a small app installable with cab so that you don't have to fumble around with a reg editor. Maybe there's already one and I just miss it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
well, it would be good if someone with the know-how maybe make a small app installable with cab so that you don't have to fumble around with a reg editor. Maybe there's already one and I just miss it.
Try this out. Here's what it does...

[HKLM/SOFTWARE/HTC/SUPL AGPS]
"EnableGPSSmartMode" DWORD=0
"GPSMode" DWORD=1
"EnableAGPS" DWORD=0

Let me know if this works!
Attached Files
File Type: cab KD-Standalone GPS.cab (700 Bytes, 5 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
Try this out. Here's what it does...

"EnableGPSSmartMode" DWORD=0
"GPSMode" DWORD=1
"EnableAGPS" DWORD=0

Let me know if this works!
Cool . it does work.. that was quick. thanx man. Well, the next thing I guess is if we can create an exe that you can run which would have, says, a check box which allows you to select either Standalone and AGPS. Anyone??
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

sorry I didn't respond earlier, I got distracted with newer info and been trying to do some testing before posting and my phone is my internet for now.

the above settings will force standalone mode. however if you want to be able to toggle then I believe "GPSMode" DWORD=2 allows this. so far my testing has confirmed this with CamerAwareBuddy (yes this has an aGPS toggle, just not positive if a reboot is actually required to turn it back off)

also it seems that EnableGPSSmartMode will only work if aGPS is on. it enables a two way assist where the phone sends info back to the tower and the tower returns a lock. otherwise the aGPS just gets a nearby soft lock that helps the internal chip with the math.

also back to the topic of quickgps; it will only use data when you tell it to. you do NOT have to use a PC although you can. you can even download the file to the storage card on a public pc and load it manually. a must have app in my book.
the gpsoneapp is the one that seems to always trigger an aGPS request.

this is how I have mine set currently and can toggle with CABuddy succesfully

"EnableGPSSmartMode" DWORD=1
"GPSMode" DWORD=2
"EnableAGPS" DWORD=0 (or 1 for ON)

Last edited by shaggylive; 06-12-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I notice even in standalone mode, TP2 gps (at least for the particular TP2 I have as well as my current location) is fairly sensitive. Seems as good as or better than the sirf III GPS chip in my UMPC and Mio in reporting 2D position.

One thing I do notice is that the TP2 GPS seems to have more problem with accurate altitude recording compared to sirf III. Not a very good thing unfortunately for me since I need also accurate altitude reporting for use as back up flying nav....
Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
sorry I didn't respond earlier, I got distracted with newer info and been trying to do some testing before posting and my phone is my internet for now.

the above settings will force standalone mode. however if you want to be able to toggle then I believe "GPSMode" DWORD=2 allows this. so far my testing has confirmed this with CamerAwareBuddy (yes this has an aGPS toggle, just not positive if a reboot is actually required to turn it back off)

also it seems that EnableGPSSmartMode will only work if aGPS is on. it enables a two way assist where the phone sends info back to the tower and the tower returns a lock. otherwise the aGPS just gets a nearby soft lock that helps the internal chip with the math.

also back to the topic of quickgps; it will only use data when you tell it to. you do NOT have to use a PC although you can. you can even download the file to the storage card on a public pc and load it manually. a must have app in my book.
the gpsoneapp is the one that seems to always trigger an aGPS request.

this is how I have mine set currently and can toggle with CABuddy succesfully

"EnableGPSSmartMode" DWORD=1
"GPSMode" DWORD=2
"EnableAGPS" DWORD=0 (or 1 for ON)
So they only change to enable/disable AGPS is the "EnableAGPS" key, right? 0=OFF and 1=ON

Also, would this only work on HTC devices (seeing as the keys are in "HTC")?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7
Carrier: Sprint

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
So I take that there's not a way to disable the assisted gps mode on Tp2 or at least nothing simple like changing a registry key?
Use this program and choose the gps option this should do the trick. I hope I helped you out. I would suggest disabling the log, and delete all of the gps text logs.
Attached Files
File Type: cab Advanced_Configuration_Tool_v3.3.cab (282.1 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!

Please don't forget to thank me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2