PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

wildpig is keeping up the good workwildpig is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Setting TP2 GPS for assisted or non-assisted mode?

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this real quick. I like to know if there is a registry entry that I can do to put the GPS in TP2 into sat mode only with no asssistance whatsoever. This is useful if I am traveling outside US and don't wish to use or do not have data connection. It's also good to test the intrinsic sensitivity of the built in GPS.

I've already checked the how to: configure GPS for TP2 which really has more to do with getting TP2 GPS to work better.

I also checked another post regarding

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS. On my TP2 the key EnableAGPS here already has value of 0. Yet when I run igo 8 or beelinegps, it would initiate a data connection to get assistance. I could turn the phone mode off (enable airplane mode) so it can't initiate a data connection, but would rather not have to do this everytime I use the GPS.

I figure there must be some simple registry entry to edit. Seems like back in the Mogul day, you can force the GPS into any of the 4 modes at will.

Thnx for any suggestion.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung s3 BABY!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

pmeunier is keeping up the good workpmeunier is keeping up the good work
Re: Setting TP2 GPS for assisted or non-assisted mode?

just don't use quickgps. thats what it does is download the sat data over the internet using cell towers for coordinates. no quickgps = no gps assist
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
just don't use quickgps. thats what it does is download the sat data over the internet using cell towers for coordinates. no quickgps = no gps assist
QuickGPS only downloads every 7 days tho doesnt it? It shouldnt download sat info everytime the GPS polls
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
wrong. quickgps downloads ephemeris data to assist the built in chip lock onto satellites and has nothing to do with AGPS. trying to achieve a standalone lock without quickgps would be brutal.

all the tp1 gps settings apply to standalone gps.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

thnx for all response. However, all above responses are about quickgps,which I am not even using,as Tp2 GPS w/ assistance fron tower signal is more than enuf.

I am Still waiting for a response regarding my question of how to place gps on TP2 into a completely unassisted mode (which means that it would not try to use cell tower signal either) . Is there some sort of registry entry to change?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Anyone?? Much appreciate any answer. Need to know how to disable the assisted mode so I don't get wacked with data charge outside U.S. everytime I use iGo8. Thanks for any help
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

So I take that there's not a way to disable the assisted gps mode on Tp2 or at least nothing simple like changing a registry key?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

a_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good worka_c_s is keeping up the good work

there is a way and it does not require a registry edit... I don't have my phone in front of me, but my recollection is that if you scroll across the bottom bar to settings, there is some place in there to make adjustments to GPS settings, and one of those choices is a check box for using aGPS... just uncheck it... it's definitely there and I'd be more specific with a phone in front of me...
Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

why is everything so difficult with you???

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
why is everything so difficult with you???
I was thinking the same thing lol.

This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2