PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

who? is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

The big problem is that iPhone OS 4.0 is rumored to have actual multitasking. Microsoft blew it when they pinned their OS to a long in the tooth version of iPhone OS. This is going to be quite an embarrassment.

Another problem is that there's no reason to not have multitasking when MSFT is requiring such high end specs. As the specs get better, it makes sense to have more functionality, not less, because the phone can actually handle it. But WP7 goes in the wrong direction.

Bring on the Supersonic!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Re: WP7 no removable storage, no file explorer, no usb hdd- am i missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
is it me or does it seem like winmo is just letting us go a little to easy? They have to know there are certain reasons some people still don't have an iphone and android seems to know those reasons. Microsoft has to realize the majority of ppcgeeks will go with android over wp7 as we can all see windows just wants to have their own iphone. Its as if Microsoft thinks apple is the only competitor. Android is rapidly growing and it didn't build an iphone.
"Letting us go"

"Us" is the nichest of niche markets. Microsoft doesn't care about us and with their flashy, new, locked-down, non-multitasking OS, they rightfully think that they don't need "us" to make the OS actually usable.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizofizo View Post
I guess I'm the only person on the entire internet who is still looking forward to WP7...

At first I was annoyed about not having a file system and removable storage but then I thought about WHY and it turns out, I don't really need to have them.

The one question I have still is how/if they'll handle PDFs? I know that they plan on having everything sync with the live services but does that include Skydrive?
So what is this magical "why" for not having certain functionality? Don't fall victim to the iPhone Stockholm Syndrome without even having an iPhone or a msPhone yet.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
is it me or does it seem like winmo is just letting us go a little to easy? They have to know there are certain reasons some people still don't have an iphone and android seems to know those reasons. Microsoft has to realize the majority of ppcgeeks will go with android over wp7 as we can all see windows just wants to have their own iphone. Its as if Microsoft thinks apple is the only competitor. Android is rapidly growing and it didn't build an iphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
I still plan to get it and am very excited for it. The removable storage thing sucks but hopefully that'll push OEM's to to provide better internal storage options and make that grow. I prefer internal storage and only use an sd card because I have to. The "no file system" thing is stupid to worry about, I see no use for it. You have a file you need to use, open the program it's used by and run it. What's the problem?

I'm not completely buying that, either a misunderstanding or it's a "we don't have this feature built in yet" kind of thing. Really all that needs to be copied is text and links. If they accomplish that I'm happy.
No file explorer means definitely no 3rd party apps or installs. With android or any other system if you want to install apps from somewhere else a file explorer is needed. Even if someone was able to find a way to install custom apps without a file explorer to access those files its useless.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
No file explorer means definitely no 3rd party apps or installs. With android or any other system if you want to install apps from somewhere else a file explorer is needed. Even if someone was able to find a way to install custom apps without a file explorer to access those files its useless.
Come on. Someone will figure out a way to access the file tree. If they did it in the iPhone they can do it in the mPhone.

But why waste the effort? Android here I come.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP

i remember them saying that was going to be a third version, more for professionals. that is the one i will wait for and see if they continue the full lockdown.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
i remember them saying that was going to be a third version, more for professionals. that is the one i will wait for and see if they continue the full lockdown.
all of the major conferences have passed, MIX10 was the last one that ended with the developer kits and tools. I highly doubt windows has anything else up their sleeve.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

Come on folks. It's a Zune HD with a phone. They've been telling folks for ages that their intent is to combine the 2 into 1 device and UI.

I have a Zune HD. It's really good for what it is. Music player with a very nice screen and simple interface. Apps work, but ARE very simple types. It also does not multitask. No cut n paste, nothing. Go to your local Big Box store and play with the Zune HD to get a really good feel of how the OS will work.

For what it is, it'll be great. It'll win a lot of lemmings, errr, consumers over from the fruit phone. They are going to the KISS principle here. For that 1 person here that doesn' t know, it's Keep It Stupidly Simple (or other variants).

You're not going to see custom roms, tweaks, hacks or anything else for a good long while, some things, probably not at all.

For the power user geeker who wants to do it all, WP7, like the fruit phone, just won't cut it. For the average consumer, they'll be all over it.

Where does that leave us? 3 options I see.

Stick with Win Mob 6.x and support ourselves. Which I'm sure many, many of us will do.

Palm's WEBOS, if they manage to release a much nicer phone than the Pre/Pixi. It's a really nice OS, it's being actively developed, hacked and having new apps every day. Pity the hardware isn't top notch tho.

Google's android. It's being actively developed, hacked and programs being written. Only catch here is the phone manu's are slow to release the updates on their hardware.

Honestly Google and Palm just have to be throwing parties at MS's decision here. Heaven knows, I'm not. I have a lot of $ wrapped up in apps for Win Mo.

I have a Palm Pre, I like the OS very much, just don't care for the hardware.

My wife has an android phone, I like the OS very much, but she's been waiting forever it seems for the manu to release an update that's been out for many, many months...

I suspect myself, I'll be jumping ship to android.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

bkrodgers is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
Come on. Someone will figure out a way to access the file tree. If they did it in the iPhone they can do it in the mPhone.

But why waste the effort? Android here I come.
That's exactly my thought. If there's a platform out there that supports the openness and flexibility I find attractive, I want to support it.

People may well hack WP7 and do some really cool things with it. But if MS is that hell bent on controlling the platform, I worry that another way they'll be mimicking the iPhone is by working to re-lock phones and otherwise make things difficult. I don't have time for those kind of games.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

kid_kris is becoming a great contributor

May you think missing multitasking is bad..now there is new that there is no copy-paste in WM7..going back to stone ages..lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2