PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 AM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Re: windows 98/XP on PDA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIQ View Post
As someone in that convoluted post tried to point out...why would you want to go back to an older OS? And what's so technologically better about Windows 95/98/XP that would make you want to replace WM 6.1 with 10+ year old OS software? I don't see the benefits other than saying..."Look what I have on my PDA".

BTW this would NOT be a good idea to do to a Titan or any other PDA phone for that matter if you plan on actually using it for calls, the internet, text messaging, etc...
Would U like to have WM 6.1 on ur laptop instead of XP? LOL What is better about XP that I want to go back from WM6.1? U must be crazy. LMAO!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to stifiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Would U like to have WM 6.1 on ur laptop instead of XP? LOL What is better about XP that I want to go back from WM6.1? U must be crazy. LMAO!
must agree with that one as well.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, EVO 4G

toviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartoviaheli is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to toviaheli Send a message via MSN to toviaheli Send a message via Yahoo to toviaheli Send a message via Skype™ to toviaheli

I don't know, there's a few of my fav. PC games that just run better on an older operating system like '95 and '98. I'd love to run them on a hand held.

The Book of GOD: Helping Spiritual orphans know God their Father completely!
The New Book by TOV ROSE www.TovRose.com
Get it now on Amazon.com: http://www.createspace.com/3582133
Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)

DavidIQ is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ

A more appropriate annalogy would have been...would you go back to 95 or 98 on your XP laptop? I wouldn't think so.

Would you go to WinCe 2.1 on your WM 6.1 phone? Probably not either.

Furthermore would you want XP or even Vista on a Mac? They're two totally different platforms. It would be pointless to go through the pains of doing that and for minimal results. You'd be missing a crapload of drivers, half the hardware wouldn't work with it, so on so forth. I just think it's a bad idea overall to take a PDA Phone to try this out and basically brick it because there would be no way any of the phone functions would work. But if you have a spare PPC phone and want to do that then go right ahead.

As I saw it they have spare Dell PDAs and other such devices they're trying this on most likely because one of those would run you anywhere from $40+ instead of the $300+ that a PDA phone would cost you (without a plan). I'd be very careful what you try with this outside of the emulation that they talk about.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toviaheli View Post
I don't know, there's a few of my fav. PC games that just run better on an older operating system like '95 and '98. I'd love to run them on a hand held.
Must be dos based games.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

well i went through all the steps to try to get it to boot on a sdhc and sd card, and the bochs.exe jus wouldn't boot up. other people have got it running on all kinds of htc phones through the thread, so don't see why ours wouldn't work. i'm wondering if i'm the only titan user to try...could be a user error.

not trying to replace my 6.1 or nothing....but would still like to play around with it. and there's a lot of playing you could do with a full windows OS.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 AM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
A more appropriate annalogy would have been...would you go back to 95 or 98 on your XP laptop? I wouldn't think so.

Furthermore would you want XP or even Vista on a Mac? They're two totally different platforms. It would be pointless to go through the pains of doing that and for minimal results. You'd be missing a crapload of drivers, half the hardware wouldn't work with it, so on so forth. I just think it's a bad idea overall to take a PDA Phone to try this out and basically brick it because there would be no way any of the phone functions would work. But if you have a spare PPC phone and want to do that then go right ahead.

As I saw it they have spare Dell PDAs and other such devices they're trying this on most likely because one of those would run you anywhere from $40+ instead of the $300+ that a PDA phone would cost you (without a plan). I'd be very careful what you try with this outside of the emulation that they talk about.
On ur first post, U compared 95,98 and xp over wm6.1. Now Ur saying that 95,98 compared to xp. ofcourse I wouldn.t go back from xp to 98. But I would take 98 on laptop instead of wm6.1 if that's the only option. as far as xp on PPC's I would like to have it if I would not have to sacrifice phone functions. I would put it on my PDA anyday if it's proven by many to work properly.
XP will not run on an apple machine. It is proven that vista runs faster on apple machines and OSX runs better on a PC. If U like vista so much and Ur loaded, there's ur options.

Last edited by jethro_static; 08-03-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:

come on man you can't tell me u're not kinda bored with your pda nowadays. there's nothing else to do. u don't think this would be fun?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)

DavidIQ is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
On ur first post, U compared 95,98 and xp over wm6.1. Now Ur saying that 95,98 compared to xp. ofcourse I wouldn.t go back from xp to 98. But I would take 98 on laptop instead of wm6.1 if that's the only option. as far as xp on PPC's I would like to have it if I would not have to sacrifice phone functions. I would put it on my PDA anyday if it's proven by many to work properly.
XP will not run on an apple machine. It is proven that vista runs faster on apple machines and OSX runs better on a PC. If U like vista so much and Ur loaded, there's ur options.
I did compare 95, 98, and XP to WM 6.1 repeating what was said in the xda topic. And I still stand firm behind what I said...the whole point being that none of those OSs were designed for PDAs so there are no drivers for things like keyboards, touchsceens, etc. It would be pretty hard to get to work right.

My whole point is that doing this on a PDA phone is a very bad idea unless they figure out a way to get the phone functions, the Internet, Text Messaging, and other functions that are necessary for a PPC phone to work to be there on those OSs. They're designed for totally different platforms. I just don't want someone coming in here and thinking that they can put Windows 95, 98, or XP on their phone and replace their OS and expect their phone to work simply because some people over at xda got it to work somewhat on an old Dell PDA.

Sure you might be bored with your phone but if you're that bored with it then do ROM kitchen flashing of it. At least your phone functions would be intact.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 AM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
I did compare 95, 98, and XP to WM 6.1 repeating what was said in the xda topic. And I still stand firm behind what I said...the whole point being that none of those OSs were designed for PDAs so there are no drivers for things like keyboards, touchsceens, etc. It would be pretty hard to get to work right.

My whole point is that doing this on a PDA phone is a very bad idea unless they figure out a way to get the phone functions, the Internet, Text Messaging, and other functions that are necessary for a PPC phone to work to be there on those OSs. They're designed for totally different platforms. I just don't want someone coming in here and thinking that they can put Windows 95, 98, or XP on their phone and replace their OS and expect their phone to work simply because some people over at xda got it to work somewhat on an old Dell PDA.

Sure you might be bored with your phone but if you're that bored with it then do ROM kitchen flashing of it. At least your phone functions would be intact.
That is the whole point on the xda thread. It is under development. Poeple there are doing things that was thought to be imposible until somebody cracked it. U sound like they are just wasting their time doing the project. I say, Post on the xda thread, tell them that it will not work and let's see what response u'll be getting.
Just like OSX is not designed for PC's. Why are there a lot of PC's with OSX? and windows 95 is not designed for PSP's. LOL

Last edited by jethro_static; 08-03-2008 at 01:27 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan