PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you or will you insure your Evo?
Hell yeah, insurance is a must. 44 75.86%
Nah, I don't think I need it. 14 24.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo!!
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

TheHoard is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone NOT getting insurance for their new Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeexee View Post
For those of you that don't want the Sprint TEP insurance, you might have gotten it without even asking for it.

Personally, I wanted it, so I told the employee helping me to make sure and add the $7 TEP insurance, and he told me that it was required for the EVO, and that he couldn't even activate the phone without having the insurance on the plan.

Since I wanted the insurance anyway, I don't know (or really care) if what the store employee told me was correct or not, but it might be worth checking on for those of you that don't particularly want it.
Hmm, I haven't heard that, but I'll look into it. I need to call about my discount for my credit union so I'll ask about that when I call. I don't believe they would ever force insurance on people because it's always been optional, but you never know. I think regardless of how much the phone costs it should be up to the owner if they want insurance. I'll probably cave and get insurance just in case. Knowing my luck this will be the one phone that gets destroyed one way or another.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g
Carrier: SPRINT

wchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwchamblee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have always had it. The first time i didnt, of course my phone broke. It should be manditory for phones over $400!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Dr. Evo is keeping up the good workDr. Evo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREmp77 View Post
I have the BB "insurance" and I have had two phones break, took them in and they gave me a new one on the spot. It was exactly what they told me when I got the protection plan. They said if anything happens bring it in and we will replace it at no cost, that day. (I did laugh at the no cost thing seeing how it is 9.99 a month) Sounds to me Rodney that they did you dirty in your case.
Hmmm, two difference experiences. Now I don't know what to do again. I guess I'll keep the BB then. It beats having to call and cancel then going to a Sprint Store and activating their insurance. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Dr. Evo is keeping up the good workDr. Evo is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoard View Post
Hmm, I haven't heard that, but I'll look into it. I need to call about my discount for my credit union so I'll ask about that when I call. I don't believe they would ever force insurance on people because it's always been optional, but you never know. I think regardless of how much the phone costs it should be up to the owner if they want insurance. I'll probably cave and get insurance just in case. Knowing my luck this will be the one phone that gets destroyed one way or another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeexee View Post
For those of you that don't want the Sprint TEP insurance, you might have gotten it without even asking for it.

Personally, I wanted it, so I told the employee helping me to make sure and add the $7 TEP insurance, and he told me that it was required for the EVO, and that he couldn't even activate the phone without having the insurance on the plan.

Since I wanted the insurance anyway, I don't know (or really care) if what the store employee told me was correct or not, but it might be worth checking on for those of you that don't particularly want it.
I'm not sure what crackerjack salesman told you that. When I purchased my phone at BB, they ASKED me did I want their insurance. I asked them what to do if I wanted the Sprint TEP. They informed me I would have to go to a Sprint Store to have it added. I had chose not to get the BB insruance, that would have been it. No further issues. My phone still would have been activated.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Something

seebeexee is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evo View Post
I'm not sure what crackerjack salesman told you that. When I purchased my phone at BB, they ASKED me did I want their insurance. I asked them what to do if I wanted the Sprint TEP. They informed me I would have to go to a Sprint Store to have it added. I had chose not to get the BB insruance, that would have been it. No further issues. My phone still would have been activated.
I had a feeling at the time that the salesperson might have been wrong, but like I said, I was going to get it anyway. I probably should have asked for more clarification. I guess I was just too excited about being the first in line at the Sprint store (I got there at 4:15 AM) to really care.

When he told me it was required, I immediately thougth about the people buying from Best Buy/Radio Shack since I know you can't get TEP added from those stores, but I quickly dismissed the thought.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

marinemissez is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evo View Post
A little off topic ... I've been debating on whether or not I should keep this Best Buy insurance for $9.99/mo or switch to Sprints insurance for $7.99/mo. I think if the phone breaks, BB gives you a brand new one ... while Sprint will probably only give you a refurbished one. The plus side with the Sprint plan, is that they cover lost or stolen phones. The BB plan doesn't. Anyone have any suggestions? I didn't want to create a whole new thread for this question.
I would suggest going with TEP. I've read the other responses and saw the 2 different experiences with BB, but it seems like a YMMV situation.

Look at it this way; If something should happen to your phone and you have TEP, if there aren't any refurbs you get a brand new one. If there are refurbs, you have to wait at most, what, 2 days? I personally think it's just an ease of mind having TEP.

The downfall to taking TEP now however, is your coverage won't start for 20 or 30 days I believe. Or it may start, but the soonest you can make a claim is 20 days out. It's in the TEP brochure and possibly on Sprint's site.
If you go with TEP, I say keep the BB for another month then cancel. Yeah you're paying for insurance twice, but it beats a lapse in coverage.

If you've been helped, a 'THANKS' is very polite!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

XstingstreetX is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to XstingstreetX Send a message via MSN to XstingstreetX Send a message via Yahoo to XstingstreetX Send a message via Skype™ to XstingstreetX

I have never had insurance on any of my phones. I don't plan to either thats almost $100 for a year you would be paying for the phone twice if you have the device for two years. I take good care of my stuff and try to be careful.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

phaze is just getting started

Just to clarify with the best buy insurance.

Only with Blackberries will they swap in-store and on the spot. With all other phones, they will be sent off to their repair center which can take 14-30 days.

Trust me, I just waited almost a month and a half for my replacement phone.

I fell for their sales pitch about "brand new replacement phone in store", almost two years ago when I got my Touch Pro on my SERO plan.

Fast forward to April, my touch pro legitimately broke, and I took it to best buy for a replacement. They said they had to send it off for repair, and if they cannot repair it, I can get a new phone. I finally heard back 28 days later, that I was approved for a phone. Well I was sort of in a bind because they don't carry the Touch Pro 2's in store's and none of the other smart phones can be activated on my $50 SERO plan. (Keep in mind that I had a shitty loaner phone from them that they made me pay $150 deposit).

Long story short, I ended up waiting an extra week or two for them to stock the BBerry Bold, and I ended up switching plans, but was able to add my employers discount, bringing my plan to 53.99.

After getting the bold, the best buy rep asked me if I wanted their insurance. That's when they told me that only with blackberries will they swap on the spot, no repair center. I thought about it, but passed because I am sure I'll get a different phone other than a blackberry later this year when my 2 year upgrade kicks in. Luckily, Houston has 4G so I am anxious to see what kind of phones will be available this September.

Last edited by phaze; 06-06-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nope. It does not add up for me. When I did have an issue ONCE over all my years with sprint, sprint caved. My phone broke, they wanted to charge me retail, I said cancel me right now, they caved in. I got a replacement phone for the contract price of 100.

Also, remember, Sprint is not giving you insurance out of the goodness of their hearts... it's a MONEY MAKER. Plain and simple. If you count the payments and the deductible, again it does not add up for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

i've never paid insurance on phones. if it's not broken by the end of 30 days it's been fine. never had any probs. i also don't get extended warranty's when buying electronics. that's how i roll and it's saved me a bundle.

might think i'm crazy but think of it this way... if i'm that confident that nothing will happen to it, why would i pay an extra $84 a year? now if you've had to take advantage of that small fee before, then it's worth it... me? nah.

edit: wait, you have to pay $100 on top of the monthly fee?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G