PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: $10 is really bothering you? Check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutch View Post
The official Android 2.1 for the Moment was just released a few days ago, but I've been running it for about a month now. 2.1 was definitely not available before it was leaked in mid April-ish.

We will have Froyo on the EVO relatively quickly thanks to XDS-Developers. Hero users have been running 2.1 for months thanks to them and with the popularity of the EVO, I expect this phone to be rooted with custom ROMs available within weeks of release.

On topic - I'm amazed at how fast this thread progressed over a $10 charge. I understand everyone's complaints, but the way I put it in perspective was by looking at the alternatives and quickly realizing that it is awfully nice to be with Sprint.

I had to give up my plan of 2500 mins w/ free texts, mms, roaming, internet, n&w @ 7 that cost me $100 (not including my 18% disc) for the 1450 simply everything plan to get my moment and coming from a touch pro. I'm paying roughly $30 more per month but I'm perfectly content doing so. Android is a breath of fresh air coming from WM. Can't wait to see the difference with the EVO...
it'll be interesting to see how well they can pull that off because they'll have to extract the software to run the WiMax chip from the existing rom

and the fact that they're still cheaper than every one else, is not an excuse to raise their rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Sprints bad, but not THAT bad...

It looks like the Sprint Hero was released on or around Oct 11, 2009. The 2.1 SDK was released Jan 12, 2010 and the update provided by Sprint was May 19th, 2010. So the turn around for the update was ~4 months.

If this is to be the new flagship phone I wonder if they will be more speedy with the updates? Didn't the Palm Pre get updates all the time to work in iTunes? If the updates go faster, I seriously do not mind the $10 a month fee. Four months though, not worth it and we already get that slow service for free...
THAT

and the updates from palm were so quick but it was only palm involved, they added their updates and that was it. with android google has to release the rom to the manufacturers then HTC has to make sure Sense is compatible, when Android went 2.x they had to rebuild sense from the ground up and with the changes in 2.2 who knows what they'll have to change

Last edited by jbearamus; 05-19-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
Sprints bad, but not THAT bad...

It looks like the Sprint Hero was released on or around Oct 11, 2009. The 2.1 SDK was released Jan 12, 2010 and the update provided by Sprint was May 19th, 2010. So the turn around for the update was ~4 months.

If this is to be the new flagship phone I wonder if they will be more speedy with the updates? Didn't the Palm Pre get updates all the time to work in iTunes? If the updates go faster, I seriously do not mind the $10 a month fee. Four months though, not worth it and we already get that slow service for free...
i wonder why the sdk was released so late. Nexus was released January 5th and it already had 2.1 , therefore 2.1 was created before January 5th. Just like the evo sdk for froyo has been released and froyo isn't even out yet.
Google is the next skynet

Last edited by p-slim; 05-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт
Threadstarter

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
i wonder why the sdk was released so late. Nexus was released January 5th and it already had 2.1 it, therefore 2.1 was created before January 5th. Just like the evo sdk for froyo has been released and froyo isn't even out yet.
Given that the device was completely governed by Google itself, they probably just decided to throw it out there once it was done and finish the SDK a little late.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

If you are on an individual plan its not that bad $10 dollars more (quit crying). For me I was on a family plan were my other phones didn't have internet. Now I have to move to a family everything data plan the cost $30 dollars more plus the $10 premium data. So for me its $40 dollars more. With all that said I guess my daughter will be happy with internet and picture mail, unlimited text, but I'm not that excited about the cost. I'm hoping sprint will maybe adjust the plans so I don't need internet on every phone and I can just pay the $10 for premium internet on the EVO.

Droidrox39

Last edited by zone23; 05-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
but I'm not that excited about the cost. I'm hoping sprint will maybe adjust the plans so I don't need internet on every phone and I can just pay the $10 for premium internet on the EVO.
to quote yourself (emphasis added):
Quote:
its not that bad $10 dollars more (QUIT CRYING)
anyway, they're not going to break up data packages on the plan its all or nothing, so pick up some standard phones and just tell your other lines they don't have internet
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
to quote yourself (emphasis added):

anyway, they're not going to break up data packages on the plan its all or nothing, so pick up some standard phones and just tell your other lines they don't have internet
So then you did see the part were I said it was going to cost me 30 dollars thats THRITY because I have to UPGRADE ALL THE PHONES PLANS. I want to turn off internet on two handsets for example because my dad doesn't need it on his phone. You would make a great rep, you probably listen as well as you read. Sorry for the flaming.

Last edited by zone23; 05-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

Quote:
So then you did see the part were I said it was going to cost me 30 dollars thats THRITY because I have to UPGRADE ALL THE PHONES PLANS. I want to turn off internet on two handsets for example because my dad doesn't need it on his phone. You would make a great rep, you probably listen as well as you read. Sorry for the flaming.
i did catch that actually, which is why i didn't comment on that, that's the complete plan change that i had to make last summer when i picked up a Pre and then moved to Hero, but i also didn't complain about the increase of price because I picked up web on 3 phones that didn't have it and text on 2 phones that didn't have it, my whole objection to the $10 is that's over and above being required to having an Everything Data plan, for no reason, other than its a rate hike on smartphones that i'll bet anyone on this board that we'll see it attached to smartphones in the future

and i wasn't necessarily trying to be rude i was just pointing out that you said get over it and then complained about (the whole thing) at the end, i was trying to leaving the $30 aside because the debate over the Everything Plan requirement is raging in another thread
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

nitussi is just getting started

It used to be that being on a contract with a carrier was good enough for a discounted phone.

With the Samsung Instinc, they started forcing more expensive text/data plans(now mandatory on most phones).

Now they want to charge a lease/luxury expense on a 4G phone despite data usage barely changing and 85% of the people not having access to 4G (soon to be mandatory on most phones).

In the future the next nice phone that you want, they are going to make the $30 tethering mandatory..

Where does it stop?

I would have preferred that Sprint went ahead and raised their $69 plan to $79, rather than charge a $10/mth; $120/year "being cool tax!", or whatever they want to call the pathetic fee.

A lot of peeps will get this phone, like me, but I guarantee retentions will be swamped with calls all next month.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G