PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM
Carrier: Sprint

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why upgrading to an EVO when you're not in a 4G Market is a waste of money

I live in NYC. NYC is not slated to get 4G until January 2011. This means that the 4G extra charge of $10/month on top of my phone plan is charity to Sprint. I've read repeatedly the charge is because the device is constantly pulling data (who asked it to, after all what's this going to do to battery life?) and for unlimited (in other words, no 5G data cap, which is pretty amazing given that I always thought unlimited meant unlimited not unlimited with a 5Gig data cap, NOW we have to pay an extra $10/month for them to admit that when they originally said unlimited, they were out and out lying) data.

When they actually allow people to use data unlimited and watch as people stream 100s of gigs of data and movies to their devices, I wonder how quickly this tune is going to change? Oh, did we mean unlimited with no 5Gig cap, but we didn't know you'd actually take advantage of it.

All of which leads me to believe that this isn't a good deal and a bait-and-switch that is going to bite Sprint in the collective butt. They're selling a phone top-of-the-line phone that cannot take advantage of one of its most powerful uses as the 4G market is not yet everywhere. Even when it is, I get the feeling there will be LOTS of people complaining about throttling of bandwidth due to it being used as advertised.

Just my observations.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Why upgrading to an EVO when you're not in a 4G Market is a waste of money

it is still about the phone though too... its 200 bucks, thats cheap for a sweet phone.. even if i can only run it 3g... and for my first android phone, 200 for the most spec'd phone to date.. i can live with that.... im pretty sure itll be close to a year before 4G is Detroit and the metro areas(unless the walmart/wimax deal goes through, then itd be quicker for everyone im sure)..

just sayin.. its still a sweet phone.. i have every discount in the book just about.. 10 bucks isnt gonna kill me.. hell, ill look at like im paying 10 a month for tethering finally LOL.. there ya go sprint, im finally gonna pay for something

**you better believe im gonna start using some serious data now though.. 100s of gbs a month.. its on LOL FTW!****
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Sigh... how many more of these are we going to see before June 4th? If you dont want it dont buy it... its certainly not going to stop anyone else from doing so.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc Evo4G
Carrier: sprint

arsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararsmithsr is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Sorry but sprints unlimited phone plan really is unlimited and has been. The 5 gig cap is on their 4g usb modems and on the base stations. There is not and has not been a 5 gig cap on the unlimited data plan. However it also has said you can not tether on the plan either. Me and my family go over 5 gigs all the time and always have. My kids watch sprint tv stream music and video all the time. So does my wife for that matter.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPrint

crooks89 is becoming a great contributor

I'm sorry I just can't wrap my mind around the crying over this $10 fee. I mean I'm lucky to be in Baltimore with 4G but even if I wasn't I'd still get the EVo no problem. It's not like sprint is taxing you $30 a month or some outrageous amount for the phone. People need to grow up and stop crying. SHit I manage a Verzion store and I want to laugh at them when they sign up for those expensive ass plans then then have to throw on a $29.99 Data plan as well for JR's droid or Dad's blackberry. Sprint is offering a dope phone and some of the best plans around.....so please tell me what's the real issue? If it truely bothers you don't buy the phone or if sprint's pricing annoys you I can hook you up with a Verzion plan that'll surely piss you off lol.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

jrios3323 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jrios3323

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
**you better believe im gonna start using some serious data now though.. 100s of gbs a month.. its on LOL FTW!****
I currently download/stream from 1.4TB - 2TB+ monthly. We shall see how exactly their unlimited nocap internet really works.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Capone is just getting started

Yeaaaaahhhhhh

I dont live in a 4G area and I'm still buying the phone. I mean, what else does Sprint have thats even remotely close to this? The Nexus One?

Oh yeah....
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo-lution

karong is keeping up the good workkarong is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Sigh... how many more of these are we going to see before June 4th? If you dont want it dont buy it... its certainly not going to stop anyone else from doing so.

Agreed. I’m also in NYC and I know we aren’t going to get 4G anytime soon but guess what? I don’t care. Even when we do I’ll probably keep it on 3G most of the time anyway to save battery life unless im downloading or streaming something. Of course no one is happy about paying $10 more but some of us spend more than that on lunch a day so its not going to cause anyone to go homeless. The plan is what it is, pay it or don’t get the EVO, simple as that. I wanted a iphone 3GS bad when it came out but I looked at AT&T’s pricing and I said no thanks. I tried to justify it so many different ways but the pricing is what it is and I choose to pass. Just like you can do now with the EVO.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Q_Q
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Q_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regularQ_Q is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I hear ya.
Quit whining $10 ppl.

Don't politicize it. Don't classify it.
We don't care how you spin it, if you can't pay, don't play.
Simple.

Some haterz are actually floating the idea of suing Sprint over this at su.com (btw, a site where most of the time the conversation is how to circumvent & manipulate Sprint's pricing plans to get discounts)
Over what??
The official plan hasn't even come out yet.

Watch them change it to $439 & see how many flock to buy it...it rhymes with a lot.

Last edited by Q_Q; 05-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Pao
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Pao is keeping up the good workPao is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by capone View Post
yeaaaaahhhhhh

i dont live in a 4g area and i'm still buying the phone. I mean, what else does sprint have thats even remotely close to this? The nexus one?

Oh yeah....
..qft
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G