PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: $10 is really bothering you? Check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
yup, where they will officially announce Froyo and the Evo's software will be out of date from day one
Realistically even if they announce Froyo, a phones Development takes months, probably longer. Do you expect Sprint to say Hey wait there's a new Android version out 2 weeks before our Major Evo launch, lets switch the OS. I don't see that happening, that's what future upgrades are for. If they set around waiting for the next best Androis OS, they would never release a phone!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
Realistically even if they announce Froyo, a phones Development takes months, probably longer. Do you expect Sprint to say Hey wait there's a new Android version out 2 weeks before our Major Evo launch, lets switch the OS. I don't see that happening, that's what future upgrades are for. If they set around waiting for the next best Androis OS, they would never release a phone!
I definitely would rather they work all the kinks out before its released and I dont think it will be released that quick. just IMO

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
nope i expect them to say "we understand there is demand for the newest version of android and we are working quickly with our partners to get this deployed as soon as possible" three weeks later they'll announce 3Q 2011 availability but then just stall until the Evo's replacement launches
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Yeah I'm hoping for root access, we will be waiting forever for froyo from sprint. The Samsung moment just got 2.1 and 2.1 has been out since October or so last year. Hero is still waiting even though a leaked 2.1 rom from Sprint is out there.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Yeah I'm hoping for root access, we will be waiting forever for froyo from sprint. The Samsung moment just got 2.1 and 2.1 has been out since October or so last year. Hero is still waiting even though a leaked 2.1 rom from Sprint is out there.
Maybe we can get the leaked vrs like we did with the TP2

CW
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
i read somewhere that the 2.1 moment upgrade has actually been available since February, just that no one noticed because they were expecting OTA delivery like the other carriers
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Whoever told you that is out there mind. My friend was waiting for that update and I've been checking everyday. He's been wanting to play homerun battle 3d and its only available on 2.1 devices.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

Quote:
Whoever told you that is out there mind. My friend was waiting for that update and I've been checking everyday. He's been wanting to play homerun battle 3d and its only available on 2.1 devices.
very possible, i wouldn't know first hand, my brief android device was the hero so i was never concerned with an update for the moment
Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO

Deutch is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Deutch

The official Android 2.1 for the Moment was just released a few days ago, but I've been running it for about a month now. 2.1 was definitely not available before it was leaked in mid April-ish.

We will have Froyo on the EVO relatively quickly thanks to XDS-Developers. Hero users have been running 2.1 for months thanks to them and with the popularity of the EVO, I expect this phone to be rooted with custom ROMs available within weeks of release.

On topic - I'm amazed at how fast this thread progressed over a $10 charge. I understand everyone's complaints, but the way I put it in perspective was by looking at the alternatives and quickly realizing that it is awfully nice to be with Sprint.

I had to give up my plan of 2500 mins w/ free texts, mms, roaming, internet, n&w @ 7 that cost me $100 (not including my 18% disc) for the 1450 simply everything plan to get my moment and coming from a touch pro. I'm paying roughly $30 more per month but I'm perfectly content doing so. Android is a breath of fresh air coming from WM. Can't wait to see the difference with the EVO...
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
nope i expect them to say "we understand there is demand for the newest version of android and we are working quickly with our partners to get this deployed as soon as possible" three weeks later they'll announce 3Q 2011 availability but then just stall until the Evo's replacement launches
Sprints bad, but not THAT bad...

It looks like the Sprint Hero was released on or around Oct 11, 2009. The 2.1 SDK was released Jan 12, 2010 and the update provided by Sprint was May 19th, 2010. So the turn around for the update was ~4 months.

If this is to be the new flagship phone I wonder if they will be more speedy with the updates? Didn't the Palm Pre get updates all the time to work in iTunes? If the updates go faster, I seriously do not mind the $10 a month fee. Four months though, not worth it and we already get that slow service for free...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G