PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to meatgel
Re: Pinch and Zoom App

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Ok, Microsoft makes multi touch software and hardware. true. But not for handhelds because apple owns the patent for multi touch handhelds. this was all we're talking about ever since the beginning of my post. Microsoft surface is not a handheld and is as big as ur coffee table. Apple does not own multi touch technology on everything else aside for handhelds. That is why Iphone and ipods have it and no other handheld device. There is one I mentioned earlier which is meizu. A chinese company. They do not care about patent infringement because their government does not give a crap on this things. They have more important things to take care of rather than going after apples problems.

Trust me, I do not take anything personally. I just want to educate people like U. U try so hard to prove me wrong with ur irrelevant posts. I do not say that what U say is false, But it is irrelevant.
Apple owns a patent on HOW they make muti-touch happen on their handhelds. They are using the same technology in their laptops and such now as well.

Microsoft owns a patent on HOW they make muti-touch work on their new harware as well. They are not retricted to Surface and could use it in a handheld if they choose to make one.

Apple was the first to use it in a phone, but there are many companies that are developing for it now. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch) the application of multi-touch will be getting bigger and bigger ...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

but at the same time, how is it possible to patent a technology on a handheld device?

is it just that our devices arent capable of having multitouch (hardware wise, and specifically to the diamond and most winmo devices) in addition to the development not being implemented by microsoft?

it seems pretty retarded that a company can patent an idea, preventing anyone from using it. Its like if apple patented portable mp3/music players, sounds so impossible.

im so confused.

edit: meatgel's post makes sense. but then what jethro is saying is wrong? OH LORD THE CONFUSION

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond~>Samsung Moment~>HTC EVO!

vinscuzzy is becoming a great contributor

This article seems to imply that current windows mobile phones are capable of multi touch, but the function has to be implemented into the OS. Maybe Im reading it wrong, but according to this author, it seems to be more of a software issue, not hardware.

http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/37508
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinscuzzy View Post
This article seems to imply that current windows mobile phones are capable of multi touch, but the function has to be implemented into the OS. Maybe Im reading it wrong, but according to this author, it seems to be more of a software issue, not hardware.

http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/37508
its a combination of both.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre too an Hero!

a1aone is just getting started

I have a 3g iphone as well, pinch and zoom is not that good.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Finger works develped multitouch on touchpads keyboards etc in 1999. Apple acquired them on 2005.
Mixxy, owning a patent does not mean nobody can use the technology. U can still use it depending on agreement with the patent owner. I'll give U scenarios.

Sony patented betamax and did not license it to any company. Maybe they wanna control the flow and the price. It was later died because JVC came up woth VCR and license 3rd party company to make it. A lot of manufacturers made it and the competition is on. U know when there's competition, price goes down. betamax then died. Sony learned they're lesson well and did not made the same mistake on bluray disc. Bluray is licensed to 3rd party company like samsung.

Another one is atari. They did not patent they're unit and games. So everyone else made a system that is atari compatible and much cheaper. It killed atari business.

one more is Nintendo. They did not learn from atari and did not patent famicom which is mostly shipped in asia. everybody then make clones, replica's of the units and games which is so much cheaper. Nintendo did not died tho. they protected their next console with patents and no one ever copied it. It's the Nintendo NES. This is the very reason why patenting ur invention is very important. Apple protects it's iphone with 200+ patents. but the question is, is it enough? there will always be a loophole.

here read this:
Apple may hinder wide deployment of multi-touchscreen technologies as it owns one of the patents involved, according to the analysts at iSuppli.
Apple has adopted multi-touch technology within its iPhone. Such technology is more responsive than single touch, and is capable of recognising multiple simultaneous touches - which is why iPhone users will be able to pinch an area of their screen to zoom into an image, for example.
However, Apple owns one of the essential multi-touch patents, and at present: "It’s unclear whether Apple will be willing to accept royalty payments in exchange for use of the technology," the analysts said.

Read full article here:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=18340&pagtype=allchandate

This is just one from many articles. Hey mixxy, I tell U, I cannot be wrong. What I say, anywhere in this site, is not what I think. It's what the fact is according to the people involved in the topic. Trust me, I cannot be pwned.

U may also wanna read this:
http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2..._they_l_1.html
http://sparkingtech.com/computers/ne...ed-multitouch/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835

Last edited by jethro_static; 12-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:

This is just one from many articles. Hey mixxy, I tell U, I cannot be wrong. What I say, anywhere in this site, is not what I think. It's what the fact is according to the people involved in the topic. Trust me, I cannot be pwned.

U may also wanna read this:
http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2..._they_l_1.html
http://sparkingtech.com/computers/ne...ed-multitouch/
no pwning was intended. lol i know u speak wisdom (signature), i just got super confused with all the different posts flying around. thanks for the clarification btw, makes things a lot more clear.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxy View Post
no pwning was intended. lol i know u speak wisdom (signature), i just got super confused with all the different posts flying around. thanks for the clarification btw, makes things a lot more clear.
Oh I know no pwning. It's just a term we like to use on the net.I apologize If I made the confusion.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
╚════════════════╝

U know what is worst? Apple filed patent for multitouch technology itself. And the term "multi touch" to be their trademark. They wanna own the world. LOL. but I think it's too ambitious and it's imposible.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero

jonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good workjonnythan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
U know what is worst? Apple filed patent for multitouch technology itself. And the term "multi touch" to be their trademark. They wanna own the world. LOL. but I think it's too ambitious and it's imposible.
Do you have the patent number on that?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond