PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
n1nj4Lo's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless
Location: Marietta
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 351
Reputation: 60
n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
Should I Keep Waiting?

To get a HTC Arrive? I've been using well first Windows Mobile Phone's for about 3 or so years now, first was with an HTC Mogul, then a Samsung SCH-i770/Robin and now finally a HTC Touch Pro2 .

I'm happy with the TP2, got my mem maxed out to a 32Gb microSD card, love Sense and the ability to run Android 2.2.3 on my phone as well as WinMo 6.5, but I just hate damn Windows Mobile and how it'll crash sometimes and what not from whatever causing you to do a hard reset...

Only things holding me back from a HTC Arrive is THOSE DAMN UGLY TILES(I'd love to change that whole homescreen and get rid of the tiles, if only HTC Hubs were more updated and in sync with all the tiles, like how Sense was... WTF Those out Sense or toss it over to Android "The Competitor"?) and the locked in 16Gb storage/microSD (Any hardware mod to remove the 16Gb and add your own?)...

Thats really all thats keeping me from it so far, even though I am tempted.

So my 4 main concerns are:
1- Different UI Rather than default Tiles, or a way to implement HTC Hubs to the Homescreen, instead of Tiles
2- XDAndroid Possibility
3- Default Storage Card Hack/Mod to exchange it with my 32Gb
4- Possibility of using it on Boost (preferred) or flashing to metroPCS

Last edited by n1nj4Lo; 07-02-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
darren.wlsn1's Avatar
acs tester
Offline
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint
Location: pa
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24,870
Reputation: 51190
darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo View Post
To get a HTC Arrive? I've been using well first Windows Mobile Phone's for about 3 or so years now, first was with an HTC Mogul, then a Samsung SCH-i770/Robin and now finally a HTC Touch Pro2 .

I'm happy with the TP2, got my mem maxed out to a 32Gb microSD card, love Sense and the ability to run Android 2.2.3 on my phone as well as WinMo 6.5, but I just hate damn Windows Mobile and how it'll crash sometimes and what not from whatever causing you to do a hard reset...

Only things holding me back from a HTC Arrive is THOSE DAMN UGLY TILES(I'd love to change that whole homescreen and get rid of the tiles, if only HTC Hubs were more updated and in sync with all the tiles, like how Sense was... WTF Those out Sense or toss it over to Android "The Competitor"?) and the locked in 16Gb storage/microSD (Any hardware mod to remove the 16Gb and add your own?)...

Thats really all thats keeping me from it so far, even though I am tempted.
well i guess you answered your question cause tiles are still there. hd7 has a mod to change sdcard so maybe.

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 07-02-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
n1nj4Lo's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless
Threadstarter
Location: Marietta
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 351
Reputation: 60
n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
well i guess you answered your question cause tiles are still there.
I'd love to see HTC go balls out berzerk with their HTC Hubs and do something like Sense/TouchFlo/Manila-like with the tiles or Hubs...

But yea I read somewhere I think that it's against policy for any OEM to change the UI. Or some junk, but thats stupid.

Main reason I hate Tiles is cause to me I think of, microsofts version of the iPhone SQUARES GALORE LINKED and that's basically what it really is in a nutshell instead of being set in one place unscrollable like iPhone's though.
_

But the main concern, reason for considering the switch is cause no matter how many hard resets, htc's slide to answer in sense never picks up and answers a call, even disabled it doesn't. That and I'm extremely tired of WinMo's unstability buggieness.

Last edited by n1nj4Lo; 07-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 AM
eric12341's Avatar
Banned User
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,884
Reputation: 2795
eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

1. there's no way to change the interface past the color of the tiles and they are actually quite vibrant and useful. makes it look more alive sort of speak. this interface will also be implemented in the new Xbox dashboard and the upcoming windows 8 so the tiles are here to stay.

2. no possibility to run xdandroid but there is a possibility to run the mango beta that has been leaked. I loaded it onto my arrive today and it is impressive.

3. yes there is. check the disassembly thread by @pbankey and @steveo70 and @dtrush have all been able to successfully up the storage to 32gb.

4. boost maybe if u don't tell them what phone it is and im not sure about metroPCS.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 AM
n1nj4Lo's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless
Threadstarter
Location: Marietta
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 351
Reputation: 60
n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
1. there's no way to change the interface past the color of the tiles and they are actually quite vibrant and useful. makes it look more alive sort of speak. this interface will also be implemented in the new Xbox dashboard and the upcoming windows 8 so the tiles are here to stay.

2. no possibility to run xdandroid but there is a possibility to run the mango beta that has been leaked. I loaded it onto my arrive today and it is impressive.

3. yes there is. check the disassembly thread by @pbankey and @steveo70 and @dtrush have all been able to successfully up the storage to 32gb.

4. boost maybe if u don't tell them what phone it is and im not sure about metroPCS.
Funny thing is Arrive's with Bad ESN's are being sold as metroPCS/Cricket Phones on eBay and as far as Boost Mobile, one guy tried but I think he slipped up and the Boost rep told them they didn't have a plan for that phone. WTF?

I'd love to stick with Boost especially for 35 bucks a month then on out with unlimited everything after a year and a half of on time payments.

I've just had nightmares with metroPCS and wouldn't care to relive them again. LoL
_

Hopefully there'll be an XDAndroid in the works eventually sometime for HTC WP7's, IDK If SPB plans on trying to port over to WP7, I'd hope they do and if they did it'd surely give competitor's and developer's a reason to hack up and brew away their own alternatives... Or I really do wish HTC would do something like what I said with their Hubs, that would truly be awesome.

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 07-03-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: esn cloning talk a no no
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
steveo70's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T
Location: StL
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,455
Reputation: 5710
steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo View Post
I'd love to see HTC go balls out berzerk with their HTC Hubs and do something like Sense/TouchFlo/Manila-like with the tiles or Hubs...

But yea I read somewhere I think that it's against policy for any OEM to change the UI. Or some junk, but thats stupid.

Main reason I hate Tiles is cause to me I think of, microsofts version of the iPhone SQUARES GALORE LINKED and that's basically what it really is in a nutshell instead of being set in one place unscrollable like iPhone's though.
_

But the main concern, reason for considering the switch is cause no matter how many hard resets, htc's slide to answer in sense never picks up and answers a call, even disabled it doesn't. That and I'm extremely tired of WinMo's unstability buggieness.

I thought I'd miss Sense more than anything else but I don't. Everything I use the most is right there and live. I also thought I'd get bored of the tile layout (when previewing WP7 / TP2 mods) but I haven't. It will be nice if we ever get a chance to make custom icons for some of the tiles. (some are just plain fugly or don't color match the existing theme as others do). Sometimes only having the same rainbow of colors to choose from feels a little constrained. I do like being able to quickly change from light/dark themes depending if I'm outside or inside. If you don't like WinMos bugginess then look no further. Mine has been rock solid, slick, and fast. Yes there are some things missing, but coming(here now on beta). Changing the SDCard was a breeze. It really depends on you, the user. You'll know after you try one. For me, Android w/Sense feels familiar but when I tried WP7 it felt right.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 AM
steveo70's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T
Location: StL
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,455
Reputation: 5710
steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo View Post
... Or I really do wish HTC would do something like what I said with their Hubs, that would truly be awesome.
I agree with you, the HTC hub has been useless to me. Once in a blue moon if it's storming, I'll click on it to watch the lightening and hear the thunder like an amazed 4 year old lol, but that's pretty much it. Being a weather person, hunting,work,ect. it would have been cool if the Sense style weather could overlay on the lockscreen as an option at least for some eye candy.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
n1nj4Lo's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless
Threadstarter
Location: Marietta
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 351
Reputation: 60
n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
I thought I'd miss Sense more than anything else but I don't. Everything I use the most is right there and live. I also thought I'd get bored of the tile layout (when previewing WP7 / TP2 mods) but I haven't. It will be nice if we ever get a chance to make custom icons for some of the tiles. (some are just plain fugly or don't color match the existing theme as others do). Sometimes only having the same rainbow of colors to choose from feels a little constrained. I do like being able to quickly change from light/dark themes depending if I'm outside or inside. If you don't like WinMos bugginess then look no further. Mine has been rock solid, slick, and fast. Yes there are some things missing, but coming(here now on beta). Changing the SDCard was a breeze. It really depends on you, the user. You'll know after you try one. For me, Android w/Sense feels familiar but when I tried WP7 it felt right.
On note of the tiles you are aware of this aren't you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlhS-DQAABU
I hope somebody is cooking something up for a dual boot XDAndroid. LoL

Speaking of the dual boot, unrelated but I think my fellow PPCGeeker's will get a kick out of this if it hasn't been discussed yet.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/15/n...ng-with-windo/
_
_
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
I agree with you, the HTC hub has been useless to me. Once in a blue moon if it's storming, I'll click on it to watch the lightening and hear the thunder like an amazed 4 year old lol, but that's pretty much it. Being a weather person, hunting,work,ect. it would have been cool if the Sense style weather could overlay on the lockscreen as an option at least for some eye candy.
*Starts a rumor to see if it'll come true all firstly from speculation and hearsay...

Yea they could call it HTC Home Hubbles, or HHH for short... Or something like that.

Last edited by n1nj4Lo; 07-03-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 01:14 AM
steveo70's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T
Location: StL
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,455
Reputation: 5710
steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

I have seen that, thanks, Currently I have the things I use most to either be on the screen or one full swipe so there is no scrolling. Some icons just don't cut it for me. It's either Metro or its not. Prime example is Telenav wich I use a lot. It looks more "Dinik style" than metro. A real pimple IMO on a otherwise clean and simple design.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
dtrush's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)
Location: Sandy, Utah
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 273
Reputation: 405
dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Should I Keep Waiting?

Another point to make about the home screen is that one shouldn't really spend much time there. Seriously! If you look at the old MS T.V. commercials they convey the principle that you're supposed to get in and out of your communication tasks. This really is the case. You click the home screen and whiz right into your next task. No waiting, no need to park there too long and wow yourself at how pretty you made the homescreen or wait till the eye candy loads. It's an effective conduit to give you a short status glance and you're off to execute. A normal individual usually spends time in the actual apps themselves doing something productive. The WP7 homescreen gets you there. Once you get going on it you'll understand the whole logic at why it's designed that way. I've had a wonderous productivity boost because of it!

Getting your SD card changed out with a 32GB isn't too big of a deal. Just follow the awesome documented tutorial by @pbankey that really rocks. Read the thread.
__________________
RUNNING: Ansar 8773 18L Custom Rom! Page Plus Cellular via Verizon Wireless Network
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com