PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

Kreigz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Kreigz
You guys had much luck with Vista + WM6 when the "USB to PC" option "Enable advanced network functionality" was turned on? WMDC 6.1 won't react to my phone if I have the option enabled.

If it's not turned on, everything is fine except the sync process will choke on big files ... like when I sync the phone with Media Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post
No problem--glad to hear it worked. WMDC 6.1 makes things much easier for Vista users now (myself included!)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigz View Post
You guys had much luck with Vista + WM6 when the "USB to PC" option "Enable advanced network functionality" was turned on? WMDC 6.1 won't react to my phone if I have the option enabled.

If it's not turned on, everything is fine except the sync process will choke on big files ... like when I sync the phone with Media Player.
Yeah just a general explanation for people:

The method your PPC uses to talk to a Windows PC its connected to used to always be a serial connection emulated over USB. Beginning with WM5 MS moved to a networking-type connection called RNDIS. It had a ton of problems at first, made worse by the fact that you couldn't choose any other method.

Around the time of AKU 2.0 of WM5 MS debuted the "USB to PC" applet in Settings->Connections to facilitate switching back to the serial driver if desired. Also, RNDIS has improved a lot compatibility-wise since it first debuted with WM5. However, on some systems it will still have problems (due to firewalls, corp lockdowns with group policy, etc.). In those cases reverting to the serial driver (unchecking the "use advanced networking" checkbox in Settings->Connections->USB to PC) is the usually the solution to the problem (and there's no downside, although I'm not positive if Internet Sharing works in that mode).
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kreigz is a n00b
Thanks for the quick reply ...

So, anyway of diagnosing where the problems is? I've already tried turning anti-virus off, firewall off, etc ... no luck.

Suprisingly, the most sure-fired way of getting my Vista pc to sync is to use bluetooth. The only problem with BT is Media Center doesn't recognize the SD card for sync'ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post
Yeah just a general explanation for people:

The method your PPC uses to talk to a Windows PC its connected to used to always be a serial connection emulated over USB. Beginning with WM5 MS moved to a networking-type connection called RNDIS. It had a ton of problems at first, made worse by the fact that you couldn't choose any other method.

Around the time of AKU 2.0 of WM5 MS debuted the "USB to PC" applet in Settings->Connections to facilitate switching back to the serial driver if desired. Also, RNDIS has improved a lot compatibility-wise since it first debuted with WM5. However, on some systems it will still have problems (due to firewalls, corp lockdowns with group policy, etc.). In those cases reverting to the serial driver (unchecking the "use advanced networking" checkbox in Settings->Connections->USB to PC) is the usually the solution to the problem (and there's no downside, although I'm not positive if Internet Sharing works in that mode).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

cjbreisch is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigz View Post
Thanks for the quick reply ...

So, anyway of diagnosing where the problems is? I've already tried turning anti-virus off, firewall off, etc ... no luck.

Suprisingly, the most sure-fired way of getting my Vista pc to sync is to use bluetooth. The only problem with BT is Media Center doesn't recognize the SD card for sync'ing.
There's a good thread on this here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...highlight=wmdc

For me, I have discovered that every time I flash a new ROM, I have to switch to a different USB port. I can go to one I've used previously, but not the most recent one if that makes sense.

It probably doesn't...it doesn't even make sense to me. Let me give an example.

I use USB port A on Monday. Everything's working great. Tuesday morning, I come in, plug my phone into USB port A and then flash a new ROM. Once I'm through, I need to switch to USB port B because USB port A stops working for me. When I do, everything will work fine. Wednesday morning, I come in, plug my phone into USB port B, and realize I did something wrong on Tuesday, so I flash a new ROM again. After the flash, USB port B won't work for me anymore, but USB port A will once again work. So, I switch back to USB port A and I'm happy.

Don't ask me why this is working for me. I haven't a clue, and don't really have enough curiosity about this phenomenon to try to figure it out. Someday MS will get WMDC stable enough that I won't have to do this, I hope.

Oh, and I have much better luck using USB ports directly attached to the machine...no hubs.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4

daveedem is just getting started
Hey... Luv2chill ....

having a problem with the new 6.1.6965 WMDC and the build OS. For some reason it's not recognizing my device. I've left it in standard mode and also put it in bootloader mode and it still doesn't recognize.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to get this working on my vista machine.. but I'll go back to my XP if I needed.

in chat room right now if that will help.

Daveedem
Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kreigz is a n00b
Man, this forum is my favorite place that doesn't serve alcohol!

cjbreisch, you are da man! Changed the USB port and ... wham! Sync City. Well, almost wham ... I had to connect and disconnect 3 times, but it's working.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbreisch View Post
There's a good thread on this here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...highlight=wmdc

For me, I have discovered that every time I flash a new ROM, I have to switch to a different USB port. I can go to one I've used previously, but not the most recent one if that makes sense.

It probably doesn't...it doesn't even make sense to me. Let me give an example.

I use USB port A on Monday. Everything's working great. Tuesday morning, I come in, plug my phone into USB port A and then flash a new ROM. Once I'm through, I need to switch to USB port B because USB port A stops working for me. When I do, everything will work fine. Wednesday morning, I come in, plug my phone into USB port B, and realize I did something wrong on Tuesday, so I flash a new ROM again. After the flash, USB port B won't work for me anymore, but USB port A will once again work. So, I switch back to USB port A and I'm happy.

Don't ask me why this is working for me. I haven't a clue, and don't really have enough curiosity about this phenomenon to try to figure it out. Someday MS will get WMDC stable enough that I won't have to do this, I hope.

Oh, and I have much better luck using USB ports directly attached to the machine...no hubs.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

alright.. who's smoking what here...???

I'm trying to reflash... and getting can't connect messages.. I have 4 more ports to try... will report shortly...

BUT come-on.. I know it's MS and all... but this can't be the case...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kreigz is a n00b
I think you're problem is different than mine.

I couldn't sync; thought it was something to do with my flashing the rom, but it was just a "new device" plugged into the same port. WMDC was ignoring it until I used a different USB port.

You're having problems getting your Vista box to use the kitchen BuildOS software to flash your Apache. So did I. I read how some were getting it to work, but it seems to much work for me. I just used my XP laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveedem View Post

I'm trying to reflash... and getting can't connect messages.. I have 4 more ports to try... will report shortly...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveedem View Post

Here's the error with RUU, Vista, WDMC 6.1.6965

"an unhandled win32 exception occurred in in ROMUpdateUt.exe [5324]. Just-in-time debugging this exception failed with the following error: no installed debugger has just-in-time debugging enabled. in visual studio, just-in-time debugging can be enabled from tools/options/debugging/just-in-time
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker

OK... CJ.. you partly the man... damn MS.

So i resorted back to Modaco's RUU fix. I also switched my USB port and wouldn't you know it... the damn thing is now loading....

reaching for my wine glass.... i need a drink

Luv? grr? those more-in-the-know-than-me? I feel like a complete noob. What is it? just typical MS BS?

Mother? leave me alone.. I'm in the kitchen cooking.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development