PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: VZW

Sarge, USMC is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My search for PNG turned up nothing so if I can ask

I made some splash screen graphisc for my kitchen.......240x320 png files, 256 colors. Do I need to know anything else?

Also, the "main splash" field is set to default, which is no graphic. Where in the bootup process would the main splash graphic display, and if I try to select from those available, which are all 240x320, it tells me I need a 320 square graphic......??

Last edited by Sarge, USMC; 01-17-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Main splash is the WM6 splash screen (the one just before the calibration or today screen comes up). Boot splashes (the one you see at power on/reset) are 240x320, because they always display in portrait. The main splash is 320x320, clipped to a portrait or landscape viewport depending on which mode the phone is in. If you use a smaller image for either splash, you'll have black strips where the missing pixels are. If you use a larger than necessary picture, the picture will be clipped (potentially wasting ROM space for main splash pics, but not for boot splash pics)

BTW, <Default> doesn't mean no graphic...it means to use the graphic pre-baked into the kitchen (which may be blank)

Last edited by gguruusa; 01-17-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: VZW

Sarge, USMC is just getting started
ok so the main one is the green/blue Windows Mobile graphic then. I can ace that and "bake in" one of the 240x320 ones that are available then?

I'm <> this close to cooking up my 3rd ROM.........this time with my OEM cooked in.

A scant month ago I didn't have a cloooooooo.............
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

LiquidSolstice is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by iclickjohn View Post
to LiquideSolstice,
After you have the phone activated and functioning normally, you may go ahead and install your new ROM. This will not effect your activation.
Keep in mind that when you do a bootloader set, hold the power button + record/voice command (top left side) and poke in the reset hole on bottom all at the same time. Your screen will look grayed out. do this by a bright light an tilt the face of the phone back and forth until you see some text in the lower right screen. that is your version # which will probably be .02. However, I never saw a place to put that info in the OEMizer. But anyway, that is sometimes scary when the screen goes gray.
In the two downloads, you may have noticed a tools folder. In that is the OEMizer. you pretty much go through and select the options you want, being careful to not WANT everything. Being fairly selective, you will not run out of space. When you save your OEM put a unique name on it like your name or something. When you go to the build, your named OEM will be listed and you can select it. (about 3/4 way through ROM options. Keep in mind some of the SPB stuff is trial usage. Found that out. You will probably make 4 or 5 ROMs before you are happy and things are smooth, so I would wait until you are REALLY sure that you like it the way it is prior to filling it full of customizations. Be sure to include the PIMbackup. After you customize or anytime after several significant additions to contacts etc. do PIM backup.(onto storage card)
There are a few HTC Today options I think I picked HTC touch kaiser. They are the options that take away that wm6 today screen.
Just another note. It is very easy to add cab files of your favorite apps. Literally just drag them into the box I think second OEMizer option box. They will compress and be included in your ROM so that space is saved. My preference is for PocketCM of which there is a newer version of. I downloaded that cab and installed it myself. You will also want. Google maps. And for anyone reading this, have you noticed (what I think is THE most significant software for this phone) Microsoft's "live Search". You MUST include it. It's not microsoft "Live". I know confusing. You will know because Live Search has a green loading bar on start up and there are several companies logos shown. This is the one you want. OK make sure you get the latest version because......you will notice to select a new city,,,in the lower left it will say "speak" press the left soft key and and say the city and state you want to search. It finds the city (if it recognized your words correctly) and you press the D pad down to select. next if you highlight the search field, you will see again in the lower left "speak". Here is the cool part. You can say almost anything for it to search in the selected area. It will give you options and then you can select them one by one with the d-pad. Also, use the map feature. Scroll anywhere you want even across country.
while in that view go to menu and select search ~this view. Again, speak command allows you to say what you want and it will find it. You can speak for the general description of what you are looking for or the specific item. i.e. furnature vs. Clines mattress shop. Both will work.OMG
Another final recommendation since you are so new to this. I have cut a small piece of clear packing tape and flapped it over the SD card once installed. Flap over into the gray keyboard area and cut out a little corner for the antenna. I've lost two cards because they just POP out anytime they wish and you will almost NEVER find those tiny things. Use the stylus to press down the tape nicely around the card. Don't push down on the card because it'll do a weird pop out/ can't pop out situation. Sorry if this doesn't help. Hope it does a little.
There really is no fear in this. You can always flash back to the original ROM found on UTstarcom's website.
When you see all those thread about people freaking out over blank screens and froze phones.....They screwed up someplace. This stuff all works fine.
Man....

Thanks a ton for that! That really alleviates my fears of doing this.

Hey, it was kind of unclear, what does this "Live" service do? Do I need a data plan, or it can it be run off of wifi(the only option for me now!)

~~~~~~~Tweaker's Mantra: When something is working perfectly fine, that means it's time to tweak it.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800

LiquidSolstice is a n00b
Hey on a quick side note, I was wondering if there was a tool to resize .pngs or .jpgs to the correct 240x320 resolution? Inspired by the the Windows Xp Black Edition that's out there, I made a special bootscreen, but I did something wrong, I don't have the source file, and I don't know why I can't resize the .png with The GIMP. It keeps saying the resolution is 240x319, which is really irritating. I've tried scaling it, but teh document properties keep telling me that it is 240x320. It came out really nice, and I am perfectly happy with anyone using it, as long as someone can correctly resize it and re-up it here? It would be much appreciated.

The below image should be in .png format. If you can make it work, enjoy!

EDIT: I do have the original .jpg if that helps anyone
Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 T7381
Carrier: 2degrees

mastersm is a n00b
Hi, I recently had my laptop stolen. I have managed to sync everything except the email that were on my Apache. For some reason activsync and Vista's version won't recognise and sync them across to Outlook? Anyone have any other ideas? Is there a program that I can export my emails from my Apache and then import them into Outlook?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC6875 WM6.5
Carrier: Alltel

lennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlennysh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to lennysh Send a message via AIM to lennysh Send a message via MSN to lennysh Send a message via Yahoo to lennysh Send a message via Skype™ to lennysh
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersm View Post
Hi, I recently had my laptop stolen. I have managed to sync everything except the email that were on my Apache. For some reason activsync and Vista's version won't recognise and sync them across to Outlook? Anyone have any other ideas? Is there a program that I can export my emails from my Apache and then import them into Outlook?

Thanks
Yes, just forward them all to either the same account, or another one. Best way I can tell ya right off....

Verizon's (CDMA) PPC-6875 (Rhodium_W/Touch Pro2) with WM6.5

Chat Rooms:
EliteTeam: Java or IRC Client
HTCGeeks: Java or IRC Client
PPCGeeks: Java or IRC Client

Click here to donate to the CDMA Raphael Project Team
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV-6700

jsavin is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jsavin Send a message via MSN to jsavin Send a message via Yahoo to jsavin Send a message via Skype™ to jsavin
Ring not working, vibrate not working -- but the phone is working! Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb94 View Post
apache, verizon vers xv6700 from wm 5 to helmi 6, phone was ringing fine until 2 days ago, noticed it yesterday. volume is up and i believe all the setting are correct within the sounds folder, but when i get a call it goes immediately to my network ring back tone and to voicemail, any ideas on a tweak to get it to ring, the phone has the sounds, i can change them in the sounds menu but wont actually ring on a call. any thoughts reflashed it twice already. please any thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would be appreciated

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysh View Post
Can you make outgoing calls fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
If you can make calls, your next step is to flash back to a stock rom (don't flash the bootloader, just the ce and ext rom images) and see if it works. That inbound calls immediately forward indicates your carrier can't locate your phone - if the problem exists with the stock rom, call your carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysh View Post
If you can't make calls, please post how many bars you see on your signal meter.
Interestingly, I'm having exactly this problem, and have taken some steps to debug. I'm hoping to find a solution short of a hard-reset, since I've put a fair amount of work into this setup, despite having spent many hours building a ROM to my liking. In my case at least, I know the calls are getting to the device -- the device just isn't ringing (or vibrating).

Here's what I've found out so far:

- All the basic stuff is in place: Ringer is on, volume is up. Also tested with vibrate, but no incoming calls ever ring/vibrate.

- I can make outgoing calls just fine. Likewise, data works without a hitch.

- Callers hear a few normal-sounding rings (4 or 5) and then it goes to voicemail. It does *not* drop straight to voicemail as it would if Verizon couldn't find the phone. Instead it acts as if the phone is actually ringing, but I just never answered.

- Oddly enough, I do get new voicemail notification.

- If I'm on a call, I still get the call-waiting tone, and can switch over to the incoming call. If I don't answer the call-waiting call, I do get a missed call notification bubble on the device.

- I flashed with the 12-17-2007 kitchen, using OEMs from the most recent UserOEM.rar. I've got a bunch of things selected, and can send along my config if it would help. I also have a couple of custom OEMs, but nothing that should have affected the ringer or phone at all.

- I started off on the 1.41 radio, which I'd upgraded to from 1.27 a few months back. Tonight, I upgraded to 1.43 (the soft-reset version build from the 1.41 RUU), but that didn't fix the issue. 1.41 was working fine with the last ROM I'd flashed, which had been built with the Nov '07 kitchen.

- Here's where it gets really weird, and may give someone a clue: I can't exit out of the phone Options screen. In the phone app, I tap Menu -> Options, and then Ok, and nothing happens -- the Options screen just stays there. Doesn't seem to matter what tab I'm in either. Clicking Start -> Today gets me out, but I'm not sure any changes get applied... Which brings me to the next strange thing in this screen...

- I can't preview ring sounds/modes. In Phone -> Options I tried choosing a different sound, and tapping the little Play button, and nothing happens. Same if I change from Ring to Vibrate here, or to any other setting for that matter.

- I see very similar problems in Start -> Settings -> Sounds and Notifications. I can get to the Notifications tab, and choose the Phone: Incoming Call event just fine, but the Play button does nothing, no matter where the volume is set or what ring type and tone I have selected. When I tap Ok to dismiss the applet, I get the Windows Mobile wait cursor for a second or two, and nothing happens. I can do this many times, and nothing will happen. Start -> Today or the End Call buttons are the only ways out of this screen.

So I think the last three are the real clues as to what's broken. My guess is that there's some corrupted data in my notification settings, or there's some critical dll or exe that's not working, which is needed in order for the phone to access ring sounds or incoming call notification settings.

I actually went so far as to call Verizon and have them do some debugging on their end. They were very nice, and spent about 30 minutes with me trying to figure this one out. We *228 programmed the phone (whatever that really means), and checked the NAM settings, and tried both Home Only and Automatic network selection, etc. All was fine, but still no calls went through to the phone. They advised that I hard-reset the phone, and I put them off, hoping I could fix this without going that far. (I did not tell them anything specific about the software I'm running.)

Any clues as to how I might debug this further? Does any of the above ring a bell for the more experienced forum members?

I'd like to (a) fix my problem, (b) document whatever I may have done to cause this so others don't run into the same problem, and (c) help the kitchen developers to prevent users from being able to get into this state.

Thanks in advance,
-Jake

Ps. Still no answer on the question I posted last weekend about PagePool size. The last ROM I flashed had it set to 6, and that made it really slow. This one I went with 16, and it's much faster. Also I don't seem to be having problems with running more than one app at once -- Mort Player and Google Maps or Live Search for instance -- which I was having before. Is there a good place to go learn about the PagePool setting tradeoff? Anyone on the thread care to share their experiences? (Thanks again. )
Old 01-19-2008, 06:21 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV-6700

jsavin is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jsavin Send a message via MSN to jsavin Send a message via Yahoo to jsavin Send a message via Skype™ to jsavin
To LiquidSolstice:

The Live thing is Windows Live Search. It's an app that looks up maps an local businesses on the Internet. It also does driving directions, and has a voice-activated search feature, but it's voice-in only -- no voice out.

Since the data comes from the 'Net, you'll either need WiFi or a data plan. Personally I like TomTom Navigator *much* better for GPS-based on-the-road navigation, but being 16, you probably won't need GPS-nav too soon, will you?

And for home screen plugins, yeah the HTC Home plug is pretty cool -- I ran with it for about the last month or so, but I decided it was just too big, and not flexible enough for my needs. I've been using SPB Mobile Shell 1.5 for about the last two weeks, and I love it! Only disadvantage: It's not free. It is, however, well worth the money. (Same is true for SPB Plus and SPB Diary, in my humble opinion.)

HTH, -Jake
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache 6700, HTC Touch (Vogue), HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Sprint

bilson is keeping up the good workbilson is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavin View Post
Interestingly, I'm having exactly this problem, and have taken some steps to debug. I'm hoping to find a solution short of a hard-reset, since I've put a fair amount of work into this setup, despite having spent many hours building a ROM to my liking. In my case at least, I know the calls are getting to the device -- the device just isn't ringing (or vibrating).

Here's what I've found out so far:

- All the basic stuff is in place: Ringer is on, volume is up. Also tested with vibrate, but no incoming calls ever ring/vibrate.

- I can make outgoing calls just fine. Likewise, data works without a hitch.

- Callers hear a few normal-sounding rings (4 or 5) and then it goes to voicemail. It does *not* drop straight to voicemail as it would if Verizon couldn't find the phone. Instead it acts as if the phone is actually ringing, but I just never answered.

- Oddly enough, I do get new voicemail notification.

- If I'm on a call, I still get the call-waiting tone, and can switch over to the incoming call. If I don't answer the call-waiting call, I do get a missed call notification bubble on the device.

- I flashed with the 12-17-2007 kitchen, using OEMs from the most recent UserOEM.rar. I've got a bunch of things selected, and can send along my config if it would help. I also have a couple of custom OEMs, but nothing that should have affected the ringer or phone at all.

- I started off on the 1.41 radio, which I'd upgraded to from 1.27 a few months back. Tonight, I upgraded to 1.43 (the soft-reset version build from the 1.41 RUU), but that didn't fix the issue. 1.41 was working fine with the last ROM I'd flashed, which had been built with the Nov '07 kitchen.

- I can't preview ring sounds/modes. In Phone -> Options I tried choosing a different sound, and tapping the little Play button, and nothing happens. Same if I change from Ring to Vibrate here, or to any other setting for that matter.

- I see very similar problems in Start -> Settings -> Sounds and Notifications. I can get to the Notifications tab, and choose the Phone: Incoming Call event just fine, but the Play button does nothing, no matter where the volume is set or what ring type and tone I have selected. When I tap Ok to dismiss the applet, I get the Windows Mobile wait cursor for a second or two, and nothing happens. I can do this many times, and nothing will happen. Start -> Today or the End Call buttons are the only ways out of this screen.

So I think the last three are the real clues as to what's broken. My guess is that there's some corrupted data in my notification settings, or there's some critical dll or exe that's not working, which is needed in order for the phone to access ring sounds or incoming call notification settings.
Almost same here. Your phone is receiving calls but not ringing or vibrating. Mine will vibrate and when using BT I get ringer in headset. I have radio 1.41 and basically the same setup as yours. One thing different is no lockups. I think my speaker is out and will be looking into that today. I recently received a replacement 6700 so I have a spare nonworking 6700 for parts. Will update after taking phone apart.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development