PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Photon' (23016) ** | Built Oct 13th | Manila 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroo View Post
Is there a way to completely disable tethering or any semblance of it on the Photon OCt 13 build. I have a 120.00 bill now for a whopping 12mb of data that i charged for unknowingly. Since unlocking/flashing I am now tethering or similar everytime i activesync my phone. Completely F@(&*ed.
That sounds odd...it shouldn't be tethering automatically when you connect to a PC - it wouldn't make sense that your PC would be pulling internet data through your phone unless you configured it to do so.

Do you have an unlimited data plan?

...does the line item on your bill say "tethering"? Just seems very strange. I don't think the device will share an internet connection automatically. You might call Bell and ask for clarification...just remember when you speak to them, you're not using a custom ROM. Ask them to explain in detail why you're being charged if you're not sharing the Internet Connection.

I haven't heard anyone report this issue...I would definitely get more information from Bell.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pmoreau is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |HERM|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Photon' (23016) ** | Built Oct 13th | Manila 2.

I use Linux at home and I noticed that when I plug the phone in a new network connection is establish along with the wired connection and data is ballanced between the two. The only way I could prevent this was to select connect as Disk on the PPC when the pop up opened and asked. Active Sync or Internet Sharing both established a new network connection on Ubuntu 9.04 Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFaces View Post
That sounds odd...it shouldn't be tethering automatically when you connect to a PC - it wouldn't make sense that your PC would be pulling internet data through your phone unless you configured it to do so.

Do you have an unlimited data plan?

...does the line item on your bill say "tethering"? Just seems very strange. I don't think the device will share an internet connection automatically. You might call Bell and ask for clarification...just remember when you speak to them, you're not using a custom ROM. Ask them to explain in detail why you're being charged if you're not sharing the Internet Connection.

I haven't heard anyone report this issue...I would definitely get more information from Bell.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

J.T. is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroo View Post
I have always assumed the same!!! grrrr. but for some reason it seems that everytime now since flashing that i connect my phone to computer to either charge or sync, I end up getting billed as tethering. HENCE my question and still remains... How can I be sure that I am NOT tethering or similar when synced to the computer. I'm afraid to plug the damn thing back in. at 8.00 a meg..its an expensive exercise.

Well...if in doubt I'm sure you could probably go fudge something in the registry associated with tethering and 'break it' lol
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Lurker

Akeldama is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoreau View Post
I use Linux at home and I noticed that when I plug the phone in a new network connection is establish along with the wired connection and data is ballanced between the two. The only way I could prevent this was to select connect as Disk on the PPC when the pop up opened and asked. Active Sync or Internet Sharing both established a new network connection on Ubuntu 9.04 Linux.
I can confirm that this is/was the case with both Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, in case someone is still using 'older' releases of that distro.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
ThreeFaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoreau View Post
Can you adjust the settings of that secondary connection? I haven't experienced the issue and obviously can't replicate it...but, and I'm just riffing off the top of my head, would it have anything to do with how Active Sync is configured to connect? Are there adjustments that can be made on the PC-side, let's say to disable "wireless connections when connected to Active Sync". <---whatever that option is.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G :)

sryans2004 is keeping up the good worksryans2004 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to sryans2004

How's the battery life on this rom? Wanna try it out but I have great battery life with the rom im on...
Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

stuge123 is just getting started

k, so... whats the verdic, will we get a manila 2.5 for our TP or should i go ahead and buy a new phone?
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
ThreeFaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtology View Post
Ok.. there HAS to be SOMEONE out there who knows how to revert the PROGRAM tab back to 3 columns and revert the ALL PROGRAMS menu to single line as it appears in stock rom. From what I've seen its actually default in most of the new 6.5 roms for TP but on the EnergyRom Standard its not. There must be a registry edit or program I can remove to restore the default setting. Again I emphasize.. this is not the start menu 3 column fix I'm looking for. Its the Program Tab and All Programs sub menu. Isn't there anyone out there who can figure this one out? Step up guys and flex your skillz! LOL.
Hey dude...this might save some time. I checked the sashimi thread and this is the reg key I back up to carry my program tab from one ROM to the next.

EDIT: I don't think you're going to find anything in that reg entry...seems to be specifically for what links appear in which slot, nothing on how many slots are displayed...unless you can remove slots by removing those subfolders. If I come up with better info I'll post back.

EDIT 2: Sorry to edit again, I did some more research and confirmed this can be done by replacing a few manila files in the Windows directory. I found some info over at XDA but am unsure if the manila files posted there would work for us. [mostly, I'm being cautious], but here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=4773651.

I would try to confim you can use those on this build. I'm always concerned with messing with manila.

Last edited by ThreeFaces; 10-20-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Checked into it. ...checked further, using Google.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

pmoreau is becoming a great contributor

If you want a full function stable 2.5, I would say get another phone (WVGA).
I've tried other distros with 2.5 and it was just too flakey. It took them a long time to get 2.1 working acceptably and that was in the heat of getting stuff on the TP. TP development is really starting to wind down.

I really want to see HTC's Sence UI on the TP but I don't think that will happen, at least not a stable port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuge123 View Post
k, so... whats the verdic, will we get a manila 2.5 for our TP or should i go ahead and buy a new phone?

Last edited by pmoreau; 10-20-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
ThreeFaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryans2004 View Post
How's the battery life on this rom? Wanna try it out but I have great battery life with the rom im on...
It depends on the user. It isn't known for having great battery, but some folks have been able to tweek theirs to do just fine. Try it if you're curious - individual results may vary. There's a link in my sig that has some tips we've collected that may help the battery drain.

It's a great ROM, but that is one thing you'll want to give some attention to and configure proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuge123 View Post
"You keep using this word...I do not think it means what you think it means"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development

Tags
sprint, touch pro