PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Mr.Gadget is just getting started
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [4-7-11][ROM] gingerbread-evo-deck [rc9][STABL-ER]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerj View Post
Here you go.. I thought this was posted on the OP but I could not find it so I did a search in this thread and this is what I found.

Get MSL Reader app from the market and get your MSL
Nandroid Backup EVO-Deck (GB rom)
Nandroid restore Sense ROM backup
Goto the dialer and type in ##GPSCLR# or ##GPSCLRX#
Let the phone reboot
Once phone is back up, reboot into recovery and wipe everything
Nandroid restore EVO-Deck (GB rom)
Download GPS Status APP from market and run

Remember you must be on a Froyo Sense rom to do this fix. Do not attempt this on a gingerbread rom as it will not work.

If this does not help you then Google "evo gingerbread rom GPS fix" and you get tons of options.

Thanks....tannerj
Thank you tannerj and company.
Hum. I did run this from a Froyo Sense ROM(myn-WarmTwoPointTwo-01-07-20). Punching in the code appeared to work as my phone counted down and rebooted as it should. I was unable to update my radio to the latest until I downgraded my Clockwork Recovery to 2.5.0.7, then I was able to upgrade the radio to 2.15.00.11.19. I tested GPS here and it worked great (just to rule out h/w issues). Then I re-nandroid recovered my RC9 install and no GPS. I think I am going to reload RC9 from scratch after wiping all as maybe there is something in the Nandroid that is wrong... I'll post my results. Thanks for the ongoing help!

Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 04-08-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, EVO

CtDMonet is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'm not really a noob, but I'm not an expert. I've flashed roms since my TP2 days. I use 4G tether quite a bit, so I am hesitant to flash RC9 right now (I used CM4 & CM7 for a while, figured I'd come back when it was a little more stable, as I really like the stock GB AOSP. Honestly I can't remember what rom I'm on, as I switched to SPB Shell (kind of enjoy it) and forgot if I was on a Sense or an AOSP rom.

One borderline noob question -- I hear all this talk about kernels,etc and I really don't know what that means, or how to change them independent of flashing a rom. I generally, download a rom, boot into recovery and flash zip file. I'm not really sure how any of this effects my kernel. My current Kernal version (from settings/about phone) is 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15. All I know about that is that if I have my phone unplugged, I get about 30 seconds of battery life (I'm exaggerating a little). I would love to try this Timat 3.3.5 but I have no idea what that means, or how to do it.

Can someone help me understand it a little better? Does the flash-fix for Hulu work on this?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo

satur9 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtDMonet View Post
One borderline noob question -- I hear all this talk about kernels,etc and I really don't know what that means, or how to change them independent of flashing a rom.
I am not the best person to answer your question as I am a genuine neophyte myself (Evo=1st rooted phone), but since no one else has responded I can get you started.

Kernels are flashed just like ROMs. My understanding is ROMs always come w/a kernel, but other kernels can be used separately. Just search on xda for Evo 4g kernels or Tiamat (most popular GB kernel, it seems). You will find the threads/files no trouble. Always Nandroid before changing anything, but my understanding is you shouldn't hurt anything as long as you have a solid backup. It seems you need to run the kernel for several charge cycles, if not days prior to noticing a change (I have yet to give them that much time).

Stay away from "SBC" kernels until you know more about them. Look for "no-sbc" versions (not hard to find).

I am confused as to whether nand backups backup the kernel or not. I have read conflicting information on this, so if someone else can provide the answer, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by satur9; 04-08-2011 at 12:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
Thank you tannerj and company.
Hum. I did run this from a Froyo Sense ROM(myn-WarmTwoPointTwo-01-07-20). Punching in the code appeared to work as my phone counted down and rebooted as it should. I was unable to update my radio to the latest until I downgraded my Clockwork Recovery to 2.5.0.7, then I was able to upgrade the radio to 2.15.00.11.19. I tested GPS here and it worked great (just to rule out h/w issues). Then I re-nandroid recovered my RC9 install and no GPS. I think I am going to reload RC9 from scratch after wiping all as maybe there is something in the Nandroid that is wrong... I'll post my results. Thanks for the ongoing help!
Hum. Still no GPS even after a full wipe and fresh install. GPS works on Froyo for me but not on GB (second ROM with no GPS). Well, I'll have to keep reading to see what I can find.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo

danielpat89 is a n00b

@ CtDMonet, Yes u flash a kernel the same way u flash a rom just like Satur9 said, but also note that if ur on an aosp rom u have to flash an aosp kernel (it usually tells u if its aosp or not) and if ur on a sense rom u have to flash a kernel compatible with sense..u can go to xda and search evo developement..theres kernels all over the place there lol, hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

urvi is a n00b

Well flashed to this last night from fresh's rom. So far its pretty good. The only thing i have ran into is that when i try and bluetooth a file (.apk in this case) from my mac to my evo it instantly fails. My screen will light up for a split second then it turns right off. I never get the chance to hit "I accept" on my phone.

On a side not, and this is purely for aesthetics, is there a way to make the notification bar transparent?

Thanks for the hard work!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: cdma touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

dpro11 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
Hum. Still no GPS even after a full wipe and fresh install. GPS works on Froyo for me but not on GB (second ROM with no GPS). Well, I'll have to keep reading to see what I can find.
I'm having the same problem as you. I've gone back to froyo to do the gps fix and once i go back to rc9 the gps no longer works. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

elosogrande7076 is keeping up the good workelosogrande7076 is keeping up the good work

Great job Deck. I am not sure about a couple things. I have a version 004 Evo and usually do not have issues with the camera but i have wiped several times and reloaded the rc9 version of this rom and everyime i launch the camera it FC on me. Also, I notice there is no file folder or hot spot/tethering app. Curious what do people do to get their backups back on their phone (do they just redownload a file folder app each time they flash or is there another way since i already have astro.apk on my sd card and didnt want to have to redownload it). Is there a way to get the sprint hotspot app? Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 4G Evo & Touch Pro 2

thaisport_sf is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpro11 View Post
I'm having the same problem as you. I've gone back to froyo to do the gps fix and once i go back to rc9 the gps no longer works. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong
Hmm... Which rom did you use for the fix? Personally I've used Sprint Lover's ROM for the fix. I've read somewhere that some people have had issues with other sense roms. Sprint Lover's is probably the closest to stock you can get. Maybe give that a try for the fix.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisport_sf View Post
Hmm... Which rom did you use for the fix? Personally I've used Sprint Lover's ROM for the fix. I've read somewhere that some people have had issues with other sense roms. Sprint Lover's is probably the closest to stock you can get. Maybe give that a try for the fix.
OK, I'm in. I'll try that one. I used the myn-warm2.2. I'll report back!

It is here by the way... I'm going to try the standalone and not the one with all the PRI updates and stuff.

Last edited by Mr.Gadget; 04-08-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Add link

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development