satur9
Lurker

satur9 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [4-7-11][ROM] gingerbread-evo-deck [rc9][STABL-ER]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtDMonet View Post
One borderline noob question -- I hear all this talk about kernels,etc and I really don't know what that means, or how to change them independent of flashing a rom.
I am not the best person to answer your question as I am a genuine neophyte myself (Evo=1st rooted phone), but since no one else has responded I can get you started.

Kernels are flashed just like ROMs. My understanding is ROMs always come w/a kernel, but other kernels can be used separately. Just search on xda for Evo 4g kernels or Tiamat (most popular GB kernel, it seems). You will find the threads/files no trouble. Always Nandroid before changing anything, but my understanding is you shouldn't hurt anything as long as you have a solid backup. It seems you need to run the kernel for several charge cycles, if not days prior to noticing a change (I have yet to give them that much time).

Stay away from "SBC" kernels until you know more about them. Look for "no-sbc" versions (not hard to find).

I am confused as to whether nand backups backup the kernel or not. I have read conflicting information on this, so if someone else can provide the answer, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by satur9; 04-08-2011 at 12:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.