PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G - TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Riptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIPRiptide9 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Riptide9
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM v1.6 | Eclair | *Updated | 6/30/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntiger View Post
OK so I'm not scared anymore I did the update but didn't use Nand backup so I had to restore everything manually. I'm lazy so can someone tell me how to properly use Titanium backup. By the way I'm in a 4G area and my 4G is working not any better than before but it's working. I installed the 1.6r update and the wifi addition.
Nand backup backsup your entire rom and is very important to have one available in the instance of your phone not booting and you need to reflash from recovery.

Titanium is used to restore all your programs and data after you flash a new rom. It works very well and is worth the money imo.

You click the backup/restore tab on the top, then click menu>batch to select what you want (ie Backup all user apps + system data) then run it

To restore do the same but select restore all user apps + system data (if you don't buy the app you will have to click yes on every app - hint BUY IT.. Its worth it.) Flash a new rom and in 1 min everything is reinstalled and setup "EVERYTHING'... wallpaper, settings, logons, data, etc.
Hit the Thanks! or your phone will turn into an iPhone and all the other kids will point and laugh at you!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcatsmommy View Post
I have tried the new wimax and it flashed fine and took away my insufficient memory problem while using the Market. I'm not in a 4g area, so I can't comment on that. Thanks OMJ; I'm glad you're around as I'm definitely a newbie again!
Only problem I still have is what was going on yesterday and the day before. When I plug my USB in I can't access my SD, though the USB debugging symbol shows up in the top bar. I also can't connect to HTC sync. I've tried the fix (all night last night!) over at XDA, but that didn't change anything. Not sure what else to try. Not the hugest issue, but if I want to transfer stuff on my phone I have to take out the SD each time. If anyone has any other ideas, do share.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I flashed 1.6r on the wife's Evo along with the new_wimax.zip that OMJ linked in the first post. We went to Naperville, IL, which has 4G and I tested it and it worked. I never used it before since we don't have 4G near our house.

With 1-2 bars of 4G, we were getting 1-1.5Mbps down. At a stop light where we had 4 bars we got about 3.5Mbps down. The signal seemed to be all over the place, but it did work for us.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

@riptide-+1 on titanium, it rocks. For me I see just a little weirdness with batch restore. For example my Mail 2.0 doesn't restore well, had to do it manually. Could be that I'm on the free version but just thought I'd mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcatsmommy View Post
Only problem I still have is what was going on yesterday and the day before. When I plug my USB in I can't access my SD, though the USB debugging symbol shows up in the top bar. I also can't connect to HTC sync. I've tried the fix (all night last night!) over at XDA, but that didn't change anything. Not sure what else to try. Not the hugest issue, but if I want to transfer stuff on my phone I have to take out the SD each time. If anyone has any other ideas, do share.
Pretty sure FastRX8 already suggested but you did try reformat?
Did you try
mount /sdcard
in adb?
I think it's in adb shell but not 100%

@mindfrost-SWEET! That's good news, did you just run the wimax? No PRL updates or any other steps?

@Those with 4G issues-I'm reading about at least 3 fixes (including the one I posted last night) over at XDA. One even includes a new root method (check FastRX8's thread over the next few days to see if he updates that method). My point is the issue is being worked on so hang tight....

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-02-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Damn T9!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

johntiger is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to johntiger

Works just fine on my end
Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I flashed 1.6r on the wife's Evo along with the new_wimax.zip that OMJ linked in the first post. We went to Naperville, IL, which has 4G and I tested it and it worked. I never used it before since we don't have 4G near our house.

With 1-2 bars of 4G, we were getting 1-1.5Mbps down. At a stop light where we had 4 bars we got about 3.5Mbps down. The signal seemed to be all over the place, but it did work for us.
Well from my experience we have two EVOs in my house the one I have has OMGs latest ROM the other is factory all the way. I've noticed that my internet runs faster as far a downloading and stuff but the actual bars shown on both of the devices is exactly the same.

To your point about the signal being all over the place. Trust me this is not a result of the new rom. Both the standard factory rom(no root/no superuser) and my old OMJ 1.3 ROM displayed the exact same iffy 4G coverage. I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area where Sprint/Time Warner/Clear all offer 4G service for mobile and home. Mind you all of these services are based on Clearwire (the former Sprint WiMax company rebranded). The service here has been offered for about a year as either a mobile broband device or a standalone home router. The experience is the same no matter what direction or device you chose. My home boy has his 360 pluged into one of the home Gate ways needless to say it's nowhere near as fast as they claim but fast enough to get VoIP and play call of duty with the ocasional lag.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Yeah, I'm sure the signal was related to the service/coverage, not the phone/ROM.

@winmonewbie - I did do a PRL update after I flashed the new ROM and the new_wimax.zip. After the PRL update I also rebooted the phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
Nand backup backsup your entire rom and is very important to have one available in the instance of your phone not booting and you need to reflash from recovery.

Titanium is used to restore all your programs and data after you flash a new rom. It works very well and is worth the money imo.

You click the backup/restore tab on the top, then click menu>batch to select what you want (ie Backup all user apps + system data) then run it

To restore do the same but select restore all user apps + system data (if you don't buy the app you will have to click yes on every app - hint BUY IT.. Its worth it.) Flash a new rom and in 1 min everything is reinstalled and setup "EVERYTHING'... wallpaper, settings, logons, data, etc.
Ok now that that's done what about a quick tutorial on ROMmanger and how that works lol Thanks a bunch
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure the signal was related to the service/coverage, not the phone/ROM.

@winmonewbie - I did do a PRL update after I flashed the new ROM and the new_wimax.zip. After the PRL update I also rebooted the phone.
Thank you sir! That is essentially the fix I posted last night from XDA provided users don't have a bad mac address.
They break it down a little differently but I'll take it as a confirmation
Thanks for the 411.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

hindjew is keeping up the good workhindjew is keeping up the good work

Quote:

I've done this already, I think ill redownload new_wimax.zip - reboot in recovery via ROM Manager and flash the new_wimax.zip again. Apply PRL and reboot again. Hope this works...

UPDATE: No go

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntiger View Post
Well from my experience we have two EVOs in my house the one I have has OMGs latest ROM the other is factory all the way. I've noticed that my internet runs faster as far a downloading and stuff but the actual bars shown on both of the devices is exactly the same.

To your point about the signal being all over the place. Trust me this is not a result of the new rom. Both the standard factory rom(no root/no superuser) and my old OMJ 1.3 ROM displayed the exact same iffy 4G coverage. I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area where Sprint/Time Warner/Clear all offer 4G service for mobile and home. Mind you all of these services are based on Clearwire (the former Sprint WiMax company rebranded). The service here has been offered for about a year as either a mobile broband device or a standalone home router. The experience is the same no matter what direction or device you chose. My home boy has his 360 pluged into one of the home Gate ways needless to say it's nowhere near as fast as they claim but fast enough to get VoIP and play call of duty with the ocasional lag.
DFW Clear is hit and miss in areas. I've had a problem where I have full signal on either my Clear card or Sprint 4G Overdrive and then it cant make a connection. I'm afraid we're at full saturation and may be in an oversaturated market (unless they're actively adding more towers).

Last edited by hindjew; 07-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development