PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: print

magohn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: |VICT|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** || Built Aug 11 || w Manila

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn View Post
Iv never had my location work on google maps unless I had the use GPS option checked
Exactly - thats my question - why do I need to enable the GPS chip if the iPod Touch can figure out a location from cell tower triangulation when connected to the Diamond over WiFi Router (GPS disabled) ?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch alltel diamond
Carrier: Alltel (now Verizon)

inferno1 is becoming a great contributor
Re: |VICT|ROM|6.5|WWE| ** EnergyROM 'Warhawk' (23016) ** || Built Aug 11 || w Manila

Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Thank you Sir !!!

In Google Maps why do I need to have the Diamond's internal GPS running to use "My Location" - I tried enabling AGPS but "My Location" still does not work. If I use the Diamond as a WiFi Router and connect to it with my iPod Touch, the Google Maps on iPod Touch instantly shows me "My Location" - logically if "My Location" works on the Touch it should work on the Diamond seeing as both devices get the location details from the Diamond's location via cell triangulation - this issue has drove me crazy on a number of roms -
been wondering this for a while.....

i know the My Location works if you turn on wifi and pick up a known wifi signal.... but i always thought our phones could get an estimated location almost instantly using cell tower triangulation, is that not true?
anyone...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Lurker

magohn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno1 View Post
been wondering this for a while.....

i know the My Location works if you turn on wifi and pick up a known wifi signal.... but i always thought our phones could get an estimated location almost instantly using cell tower triangulation, is that not true?
anyone...
Thats the strange thing. Using the WiFi router software running on the diamond with the iPod Touch connected, I travelled over 100 miles and Google maps on the Touch displayed "My Location" pretty accurately for the whole journey. This confirms that the Diamond is using cell tower triangulation to provide co-ordinates to the Touch as the only connection to the Touch was from WiFi and thats coming from the Diamond's Wifi Router software AND the WiFi has no idea of its co-ords as its running from the Diamond (not static) - very strange as to why it would not work....

Last edited by magohn; 08-14-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Imagio
Carrier: Alltel

o2l8 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn View Post
If any of you Alltel guys come up with a better working version of Arcsoft than the 3.0.26.12 that Im using now please let me know!
Thanks guys!
Im using 5.0.69.44 looking for it now "calkulins arcsoft alltel mms 5.0.69.44
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...0&d=1232915606
I am going to try jd 5.2.1.22 next and let you know here.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Thats the strange thing. Using the WiFi router software running on the diamond with the iPod Touch connected, I travelled over 100 miles and Google maps on the Touch displayed "My Location" pretty accurately for the whole journey. This confirms that the Diamond is using cell tower triangulation to provide co-ordinates to the Touch as the only connection to the Touch was from WiFi and thats coming from the Diamond's Wifi Router software AND the WiFi has no idea of its co-ords as its running from the Diamond (not static) - very strange as to why it would not work....
has anyone actually gotten it to work?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

chhilliewillie is just getting started

the My Location features does work with the cell tower alone. haven't you tried?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

chhilliewillie is just getting started

also, quick questions, can i download any picture mail cab made for manilla 2.1? or do i have use one specifically for this ROM? the cab isn't in the files list for this ROM
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Lurker

magohn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhilliewillie View Post
the My Location features does work with the cell tower alone. haven't you tried?
Please expand - are you using a Diamond with "Use GPS" UNCHECKED (and WiFi disabled on the device) in Google Maps? That way you are attempting to use cell tower triangulation alone ... please respond with your settings etc
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Please expand - are you using a Diamond with "Use GPS" UNCHECKED and WiFi disabled in Google Maps? That way you are attempting to use cell tower triangulation alone ... please respond with your settings etc
please do...
Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX
Carrier: Verizon

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2l8 View Post
Im using 5.0.69.44 looking for it now "calkulins arcsoft alltel mms 5.0.69.44
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...0&d=1232915606
I am going to try jd 5.2.1.22 next and let you know here.
Thats what Im trying right now, just did a hard reset and am going to install the Arcsoft from this post and see what happens.-->

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...postcount=8593

And thanks for the reply

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development