PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD
Threadstarter

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: just got a free airvana

i have issues with the connectivity of mine. it works when it wants to.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The problems with this thing are widely reported. Mine doesn't go offline as frequently as some others from what I've read, but I do get the lovely double or multiple text message bug. The boost in signal is definitely worth the trouble IMO.

Oh, and I don't like how you lose "My Location" functionality with it, despite excellent GPS signal
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yeah its kind of buggy, I am working out the kinks on it now as we speak. the coverage is definitely worth it. i live in a home that was built in the 30's so of course you know the materials that were used back then were different and thicker
Old 12-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Unlimited is um, limited
Pocket PC: Razr MAXX
Carrier: Verizon

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I had an free of charge airave since they came out and really liked it. Sprint provided me with an "upgraded" airvana that is supposed to be better than the airave...as long as you reset it several times a day.

I notice that I start losing my signal at first and then I start getting error messages that my (and my family's) text messages fail to send. Dialing the *99 still tells me that I'm connected but can not send texts. So, unplug the airvana and plug it back in and things start working again.

Sprint says they can't "see" anything wrong with it.

David
Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I had the airave before, its ok but overall it still sucked, I expect the airvana to be similar. Yes, you still get charged for minutes even though its really using your own internet. Also, you need to set it up so that only your phone number and people you know can use it, especially if you live in an apartment or else everyone near by can use it and it will slow down your internet connection.

If you download alot or stream netflix, the airrave/airvana will get missed/dropped/bad quality calls because of low bandwidth. I guess it better than nothing, but alot of times you get a false sense of confidence with these things.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Nexus S - E3GT - Epic 3G
Carrier: SERO $30

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
I had the airave before, its ok but overall it still sucked, I expect the airvana to be similar. Yes, you still get charged for minutes even though its really using your own internet. Also, you need to set it up so that only your phone number and people you know can use it, especially if you live in an apartment or else everyone near by can use it and it will slow down your internet connection.

If you download alot or stream netflix, the airrave/airvana will get missed/dropped/bad quality calls because of low bandwidth. I guess it better than nothing, but alot of times you get a false sense of confidence with these things.
QoS resolves the bandwidth issues. They also recommend putting the Airvana in front of the modem so it can reserve its own bandwidth, but 2 minutes of reading will get it done more effectively through your router. I personally have the Airvana, an Ooma line, 5 wireless devices, and two wired without any issues (torrent, XBOX Live, or idling) when using QoS.

As for being charged for minutes... well, where do you think that signal goes once it passes the Airvana and your internet connection? You're still on Sprint's network and you gots to pay :P There's an unlimited plan as well, but it's not free like the regular one obviously.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965

Is there a monthly service charge with this?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo1965 View Post
Is there a monthly service charge with this?
Not from what I can see and I have had mine for three billing cycles so far

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion