PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21
Exclamation will they just admit it

Okay so I have a palm pre and a thread/poll asking which OS interests my fellow peers the most(link in signature) and of course this site is ppcgeeks so windows is winning. I'm basically trying to prove that most current windows users are simply blindly supporting microsoft and aren't willing to admit windows shortcomings.. Everyone swears the touch pro2 is such an amazing device, yet if it is...why are they waiting on an unlocker to flash custom roms?? See what I'm trying to say is windows needs to be tweaked all the time because its too slow and unstable.. Its always a battle of adding and subtracting files just to get it(windows) to run in an acceptable manner.while those of us that have moved on to the pre's,hero's and even iphones have complete satisfaction(as far as performance) right out the box. I also find it funny that the #1 argument windows users make is that its the most customisable OS, yet when you look at the thread titles..a majority of the themes or shells they add are to make their phones look like a hero(hello spb and sensuite) or someone is asking whether or not android or webOS can run on their phones.. Doesn't this mean you're interested in another OS outside of windows?? I'm trying to prove this to everyone and I need help. Please direct others to this thread and vote in my OS poll by clicking the link in my signature. Help me show that its not all about windows anymore. I'm headed to the android and very small iphone forum as well. If anyone agrees with me I would really appreciate ur show of support by hitting the thanks button..
Playstation 3/Xbox360/Wii/PC..Which is best? Join the debate!>> http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112741
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution!

heydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on repheydjbobby74 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Yahoo to heydjbobby74 Send a message via Skype™ to heydjbobby74
Re: will they just admit it

Ok can we put this thread where it belongs...? In a discussion forum or somethin, and why the double post man?

http://www.heydjbobby.com/
Audiovox 6700> Samsung i760> HTC Touch Pro> HTC Touch Pro2> HTC HeRooted> HTC EVOlutionized!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Tour

nebula is keeping up the good worknebula is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to nebula Send a message via MSN to nebula Send a message via Yahoo to nebula

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove21 View Post
Okay so I have a palm pre and a thread/poll asking which OS interests my fellow peers the most(link in signature) and of course this site is ppcgeeks so windows is winning. I'm basically trying to prove that most current windows users are simply blindly supporting microsoft and aren't willing to admit windows shortcomings.. Everyone swears the touch pro2 is such an amazing device, yet if it is...why are they waiting on an unlocker to flash custom roms?? See what I'm trying to say is windows needs to be tweaked all the time because its too slow and unstable.. Its always a battle of adding and subtracting files just to get it(windows) to run in an acceptable manner.while those of us that have moved on to the pre's,hero's and even iphones have complete satisfaction(as far as performance) right out the box. I also find it funny that the #1 argument windows users make is that its the most customisable OS, yet when you look at the thread titles..a majority of the themes or shells they add are to make their phones look like a hero(hello spb and sensuite) or someone is asking whether or not android or webOS can run on their phones.. Doesn't this mean you're interested in another OS outside of windows?? I'm trying to prove this to everyone and I need help. Please direct others to this thread and vote in my OS poll by clicking the link in my signature. Help me show that its not all about windows anymore. I'm headed to the android and very small iphone forum as well. If anyone agrees with me I would really appreciate ur show of support by hitting the thanks button..
Given the name of this site *P (pocket) P (pc)geeks.com* and the user base that initially joined this forum because they either have or want a windows based device, it would make logical sense that windows OS would be winning in the polls?

Don't write off Windows Mobile just yet. Microsoft has money and money does almost everything.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Pre 2, Evo

tersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stufftersoth knows their stuff

I have a hero, pre, and diamond and windows mobile is by far my favorite OS. And you are wrong about windows being the only one that needs to me tinkered with. I've had to patch the heck out of my pre to make it enjoyable (I have 18 patches on my pre). And I'm desperately waiting for the cdma hero to be rooted so I can do basic things like tether, install programs to the as card, take screen shots, etc. Don't get me wrong, i like web os a lot (its just so elegant), but it pales in comparison. If I dont want to interact with my phone the palm way, im screwed. windows (desktops and mobile devices) is all about choice and individuality. Plus I'm really loving 6.5.1 it is really sprucing up the os and making it more modern. I respect your opinion, but in my opinion I disagree. I have used all three and window mobile is still on top

Last edited by tersoth; 10-24-2009 at 05:41 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersoth View Post
I have a hero, pre, and diamond and windows mobile is by far my favorite OS. And you are wrong about windows being the only one that needs to me tinkered with. I've had to patch the heck out of my pre to make it enjoyable (I have 18 patches on my pre). And I'm desperately waiting for the cdma hero to be rooted so I can do basic things like tether, install programs to the as card, take screen shots, etc. Don't get me wrong, i like web os a lot (its just so elegant), but it pales in comparison. If I dont want to interact with my phone the palm way, im screwed. windows (desktops and mobile devices) is all about choice and individuality. Plus I'm really loving 6.5.1 it is really sprucing up the os and making it more modern. I respect your opinion, but in my opinion I disagree. I have used all three and window mobile is still on top
I kind of get what you are saying here. The one main thing that sucks about Windows Mobile, is well, Windows Mobile! Let me explain. In the past few years there are probably no WM users who are actually using the WM UI. Cause the WM UI is the most unusable piece of garbage out there. Your diamond, TP, TP2, Omnia, etc etc all put different shells on top of WM to even make it an enjoyable experience. It would be nice if WM actually put some thought and design behind their UI instead of relying on 3rd party vendors to do it for them. And until they do that, and do it successfully I'm not going to touch another WM phone. Cause honestly, Android is by far and away a better user experience then WM, which is pretty sad considering WM has been out for almost 10 years and Android just over a year.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordevil95 View Post
I kind of get what you are saying here. The one main thing that sucks about Windows Mobile, is well, Windows Mobile! Let me explain. In the past few years there are probably no WM users who are actually using the WM UI. Cause the WM UI is the most unusable piece of garbage out there.
Windows mobile was designed for business users. Due to the high cost of the devices, normal consumers weren't buying into them. Microsoft is growing the product line and updates to the WM OS are coming out faster than two years now. They are seeing that people are dropping a dime on phones like the iPhone and realizing they can do the same with WM.

As far as needing to cook a rom up. Even if the OS came shipped great I'd still cook my own customizations into it. Everyone is different and it would be difficult to please everyone. I'd rather cook it then sit there and dig through cab files for a night.

I have heard of nothing but problems with the Palm PRE. I visited a sprint store the other day and they wouldn't even offer it to me as they said they are tired of fixing them. I played with the HERO pretty sweet but the keyboard is a tad too small for my liking.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light
Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO, Blackberry Style

MrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuffMrChainsaw knows their stuff

Every phone has it's pros and cons. Nobody has a perfect experience with any phone. Are you saying that ALL iPhone and Pre users didn't mind that video recording capabilities were not out of box? That not being able to forward texts wasn't an issue? Don't get me wrong, I have a Hero and love it. But, if you are trying to 'prove' that WM is an inferior OS, you need much more than a poll of a few people's opinions, and if you want an unbiased one, don't ask on a pro WM site! Hahhahaha.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesty16277 View Post
I have heard of nothing but problems with the Palm PRE. I visited a sprint store the other day and they wouldn't even offer it to me as they said they are tired of fixing them. I played with the HERO pretty sweet but the keyboard is a tad too small for my liking.
The palm pre isn't any different than any other phone, with regards to problems. The TP had major overheating issues. And keyboard issues. Early TP2s, in the US, were coming over with dead pixels. Heros getting dust under the screens. But Palm has been very quick to post updates to fix software bugs on the phones. Which is something that can't be said for WM phones, and Sense UI android phones (only the Hero at this time). Everyone I know of that has a Pre loves it, and has no real issues, other than complaining that the phone is too simple.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, with regards to updates, I'm talking about updates from the manufacturer. Not roms from XDA, or this site.

Last edited by tokuzumi; 10-29-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Good luck trying to convince other people they are wrong But I hear what you are saying though. One of the bigggest appeals to switching to a windows mobile phone was the ability to customize anything and everything. This site has been great in helping me do that. But I'm at the point where I don't really have the time nor energy to read through posts like I used to and tweak my phone just the way I want it.

I'd rather have something I can pull out of the box and use from day one without having to do some registry edit to increase the screen sensitivity or running a cab to improve the call quality on the phone. I shouldn't need to hard reset a device once I get it to make sure everything is set to go before I start tweaking. I just dropped a lot of money on a phone and I just want it to work.

To the average cellphone consumer, they haven't the slightest clue what their windows mobile COULD be because they aren't geekers like most of the people who visit this site. They don't know how to unlock their phone and flash new ROMs or use PHM Regedit or Total Commander to edit the registry and drag and drop different files to achieve it's fullest potential.

That's why I think a lot of people like blackberries and iphones. From the get go, out of the box, no hacking is necessary for it to work as it SHOULD. You can customize it however you want but being a "geeker" isn't necessary.

Personally, I'm done fiddling around with my phone to make it work like it should. Which means I'm done with WM phones for now. I hate how the Iphone is so overpriced and the plans are ridiculous. I'm perfectly happy with my service with sprint so I'm waiting on an android phone. Right now I'm debating on the Hero or the moment. I don't doubt that there will be issues with either phone but I'm hoping I won't need to do much tweaking to get it to work right.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2
Threadstarter

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesty16277 View Post
Windows mobile was designed for business users. Due to the high cost of the devices, normal consumers weren't buying into them. Microsoft is growing the product line and updates to the WM OS are coming out faster than two years now. They are seeing that people are dropping a dime on phones like the iPhone and realizing they can do the same with WM.

As far as needing to cook a rom up. Even if the OS came shipped great I'd still cook my own customizations into it. Everyone is different and it would be difficult to please everyone. I'd rather cook it then sit there and dig through cab files for a night.

what the hell? They wouldn't offer you a phone because they were tired of fixing them?? Do you realize how many moguls,pro2's o and that ****ty touch pro keyboard continuesly going out? I've already had two pro2's and went through four moguls and was going on my sixth pro went they sent me to the corporate store and eventually upgraded me to the pro2. I haven't had any hardware issues with my pre like with my ppc's so please don't talk about a phone needing to be fixed. And I seriously doubt a phone company would reject your business for fixing phones their getting your insurance fee for. They use refurbished parts fromthe same phones we turn in because of defects.

Last edited by smoove21; 10-31-2009 at 10:02 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
android, hero, touch pro2, webos, windows6.5