PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ubuntu linux, what to expect

I have gotten my last and final virus on Windows and will attempt to migrate everything to ubuntu. How will this effect my touch pro?
  • Will active sync still work?
  • will i be able to sync my calendar?
  • will internet sharing work?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Blackberry Tour
Carrier: sprint

facemob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfacemob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfacemob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfacemob is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to facemob
Re: ubuntu linux, what to expect

you can active sync with WINE or install windows in sunbox.... sync calendar im not sure and internet sharing i think u need ndiswrapper for that

Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: SPRINT

orionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
I have gotten my last and final virus on Windows and will attempt to migrate everything to ubuntu. How will this effect my touch pro?
ive had my laptop going on three years now and my pc for only a year...and have never once had an issue with viruses or spyware. and i dont use any protection programs as they invade every part of your computer and slow it down....

the reason is cus i use a program called DeepFreeze...so i can go to any website i want and download anything i want and test it out to see how well it works...and i dont have to worry about anything....check it out...just google it or something

HTC Mogul>HTC Touch>HTC TP>HTC Snap>Palm Pre>HTC TP2(PUKE)>HTC Hero>HTC Evo
htc... is it in ur blood?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I wish I can Install ubuntu on my laptop... every time I try I end up giving up because of drivers installation issues.. I wish was more newb friendly..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kayfouroh is keeping up the good workkayfouroh is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a **** or anything but if you're the type of person to actually get viruses I think Ubuntu/Linux in general will be a hard process for you...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch> Touch Pro> Droid
Carrier: Verizon

pknyo is becoming a great contributor

As far as internet sharing goes, I used my touch pro`s internet sharing to install updates to be able to use wifi on my computer. I never really tried syncing with Ubuntu so I can`t comment on that. I might get arround to Installing this 9.04 disk I made tonight, then I`ll post again.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Over-simplified answers:

No.
No.
No.

Yes, you can probably get ActiveSync to work, through WINE... I wouldn't know where to look for the specifics, though.
Yes, you can probably also sync your calendar, still using MS Office, though... Again - WINE
Yes, internet sharing will probably work, if you can find a driver. Someone out there has to have written one by now, again, I wouldn't know where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I wish I can Install ubuntu on my laptop... every time I try I end up giving up because of drivers installation issues.. I wish was more newb friendly..
Linux builds will never see the same level of polish that Windows and MacOS have because there's no large corporate sponsorship behind Linux, and very little profit to be made. Why would someone -pay- for your build of Linux when they can get most of the rest of the code themselves for free, legally? Linux is finally reaching the point of viability, but it still has a long way to go before it really can be considered competitive.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Former Midwest Wireless forced to Alltel and soon to be Verizon

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

A niffty tool called SynCE is what your looking for it has the rndis driver for the internet sharing and allows syncing of WM, well at lease it did years ago with an iPaq, There is also a program to flash roms but it tends to keep you in the bootloader, which can be fix with the set command,

Website for SynCE is http://www.synce.org/moin/
How-to for rndis(internet) is http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho...7&postcount=54
Flash from linux with http://code.google.com/p/htc-flasher/
Code:

+-+--Restart the device,
    |
    +--Click "Bootloader Cmd prompt" from HTCFlasher
    +--Type "set 16 0" minus the "
    +--Type "ResetDevice"
and for those that think ubuntu is a bad move, kde 4.0 is VERY similar to windows, it actually make my sleep and hibernate work with no configing and im a gentoo guy

Last edited by zeurx; 05-02-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added rndis howto link, added linux flashing stuff
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

elgreek84 is keeping up the good workelgreek84 is keeping up the good work

Just use GoogleSync for Calendar/Contacts
Use imap/pop for e-mail
Use storage card method to flash your roms.

If internet sharing doesn't work out of the box use this:

FOR UBUNTU RNDIS Internet Hosting

apt-get install subversion
svn co http://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svn...usb-rndis-lite
cd usb-rndis-lite/
make
sudo ./clean.sh

sudo make install

and then connect internetsharing and you're ready to go

Done deal pal.

Last edited by elgreek84; 05-02-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Fascinate
Carrier: VZW

Daemonax is becoming a great contributor

These are exactly the type of answers one would expect from a Windows Mobile forum, excepting zeurx & elgreek84, of course. Every OS has its place and reasons to be used. For me, Ubuntu works quite well as my primary OS, but I do dual-boot with Vista for some games. I also use XP in a virtual machine for testing Windows apps. Rather than debate the legitimacy of each, let me just answer your questions from my limited experience.

Quote:
* Will active sync still work?
I have never done this as I use NuevaSync to sync OTA with Google and Plaxo. I have seen many users have success with SyncCE (as zeurx mentioned) and Evolution, Linux's answer to Outlook. As always, Google will be your friend here. I had 2.1 million responses to "sync windows mobile with evolution". I did successfully install and use MS Office 2007 (work paid for it), but I never used Outlook on it.

Quote:
* will i be able to sync my calendar?
See above. However, I can't stress enough how well NuevaSync works. GoogleSync offers a similar service as elgreek84 says.

Quote:
* will internet sharing work?
This has worked out of the box on the past several version of Ubuntu. I'm currently on a clean install of 9.04 and tethered to my TP. In fact, I just rebooted to a LiveCD of Ubuntu 9.04, tethered to my TP, and was cruisin' the Internet in a matter of seconds.

You can run Linux from a LiveCD (I obviously recommend Ubuntu) and test drive everything without affecting your computer at all. The ultimate try before you buy. If everything works well, you can start the install right from the desktop.

If you have 10+GB of free hard drive space, dual-boot with your Windows install. Most Linux distros make this so easy that one of my 3 yr olds could do it. If you are a heavy user, it may take some time to familiarize yourself with Linux. Dual-booting allows you time to transition.

Two things won't work for your TP. You can't install apps from Windows install programs as many Windows Mobile programs do. I've always hated using them anyway, grabbing CAB's whenever possible. To get around the ones I can't get, I install the program in WINE and lift the CAB from the ActiveSync queue (again, Google). I then keep the CAB for future re-installs as I flash often.

Which brings me to the other thing, flashing new ROM's, AFAIK, the collective genius here have not found a way to do this on Linux. You need to use Windows or an SD card. Edit: I happily stand corrected, see zeurx's edited post above.

Good luck and enjoy freedom and choice.

Last edited by Daemonax; 05-02-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Learned somethin' new!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro