View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: ubuntu linux, what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
I have gotten my last and final virus on Windows and will attempt to migrate everything to ubuntu. How will this effect my touch pro?
  • Will active sync still work?
  • will i be able to sync my calendar?
  • will internet sharing work?
Over-simplified answers:

No.
No.
No.

Yes, you can probably get ActiveSync to work, through WINE... I wouldn't know where to look for the specifics, though.
Yes, you can probably also sync your calendar, still using MS Office, though... Again - WINE
Yes, internet sharing will probably work, if you can find a driver. Someone out there has to have written one by now, again, I wouldn't know where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
I wish I can Install ubuntu on my laptop... every time I try I end up giving up because of drivers installation issues.. I wish was more newb friendly..
Linux builds will never see the same level of polish that Windows and MacOS have because there's no large corporate sponsorship behind Linux, and very little profit to be made. Why would someone -pay- for your build of Linux when they can get most of the rest of the code themselves for free, legally? Linux is finally reaching the point of viability, but it still has a long way to go before it really can be considered competitive.