View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Daemonax
N00b

Daemonax is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ubuntu linux, what to expect

These are exactly the type of answers one would expect from a Windows Mobile forum, excepting zeurx & elgreek84, of course. Every OS has its place and reasons to be used. For me, Ubuntu works quite well as my primary OS, but I do dual-boot with Vista for some games. I also use XP in a virtual machine for testing Windows apps. Rather than debate the legitimacy of each, let me just answer your questions from my limited experience.

Quote:
* Will active sync still work?
I have never done this as I use NuevaSync to sync OTA with Google and Plaxo. I have seen many users have success with SyncCE (as zeurx mentioned) and Evolution, Linux's answer to Outlook. As always, Google will be your friend here. I had 2.1 million responses to "sync windows mobile with evolution". I did successfully install and use MS Office 2007 (work paid for it), but I never used Outlook on it.

Quote:
* will i be able to sync my calendar?
See above. However, I can't stress enough how well NuevaSync works. GoogleSync offers a similar service as elgreek84 says.

Quote:
* will internet sharing work?
This has worked out of the box on the past several version of Ubuntu. I'm currently on a clean install of 9.04 and tethered to my TP. In fact, I just rebooted to a LiveCD of Ubuntu 9.04, tethered to my TP, and was cruisin' the Internet in a matter of seconds.

You can run Linux from a LiveCD (I obviously recommend Ubuntu) and test drive everything without affecting your computer at all. The ultimate try before you buy. If everything works well, you can start the install right from the desktop.

If you have 10+GB of free hard drive space, dual-boot with your Windows install. Most Linux distros make this so easy that one of my 3 yr olds could do it. If you are a heavy user, it may take some time to familiarize yourself with Linux. Dual-booting allows you time to transition.

Two things won't work for your TP. You can't install apps from Windows install programs as many Windows Mobile programs do. I've always hated using them anyway, grabbing CAB's whenever possible. To get around the ones I can't get, I install the program in WINE and lift the CAB from the ActiveSync queue (again, Google). I then keep the CAB for future re-installs as I flash often.

Which brings me to the other thing, flashing new ROM's, AFAIK, the collective genius here have not found a way to do this on Linux. You need to use Windows or an SD card. Edit: I happily stand corrected, see zeurx's edited post above.

Good luck and enjoy freedom and choice.

Last edited by Daemonax; 05-02-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Learned somethin' new!