PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM
newdey

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Aye thanx a lot Windows!! Im 1.47. I hadn't seen that explained anywhere in my VAST searches. Polly cuz I was searching the wrong thing! I'll do that and report back.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdey View Post
Aye thanx a lot Windows!! Im 1.47. I hadn't seen that explained anywhere in my VAST searches. Polly cuz I was searching the wrong thing! I'll do that and report back.
LOL @ "Windows"
No prob, if you get stuck you can "cheat" and do as Fast says and use Simple Root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

Then come back here and follow the rest of the tutorial to complete the process. Simple root gives you root on a non-rooted ROM so you do need to follow Fast's advice and at least flash a rooted version of stock. Read back a few post from last PM. I mentioned the various options for rooted stock.

I say "cheat" because even if you are a total Droid n00b I think the manual method is the best way to learn. Just my .02
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Jspecrx7 is just getting started

Ok I got it working all the way through, ends up I had the wrong PC36img. When you do the "SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition" it loads a a PC36img file on your sd card. Apparently it was the wrong one that I needed. I downloaded the other version from whitslacks thread and that did the trick. Thanks for the help man, so whats my next step? I see the Superuser permission icon in the apps menu, but when I click it, its blank. My current software is back to 1.47.651.1 and my 4G is working again thank god.

[QUOTE=winmonewbie;1870267]OK, in the light of a new day I think I see you issue. You need to run the batch file WHILE you are at the the screen with the /i\.
So boot into Recovery and while you screen is "stuck", run that file.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

[QUOTE=Jspecrx7;1870359]Ok I got it working all the way through, ends up I had the wrong PC36img. When you do the "SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition" it loads a a PC36img file on your sd card. Apparently it was the wrong one that I needed. I downloaded the other version from whitslacks thread and that did the trick. Thanks for the help man, so whats my next step? I see the Superuser permission icon in the apps menu, but when I click it, its blank. My current software is back to 1.47.651.1 and my 4G is working again thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
OK, in the light of a new day I think I see you issue. You need to run the batch file WHILE you are at the the screen with the /i\.
So boot into Recovery and while you screen is "stuck", run that file.
Sweet!
Superuser will be blank initially until you start running apps that require root permission. As you do Superuser will prompt you to Allow and then if you click on the icon you'll be looking at your Whitelist (allowed apps). I generally "set it and forget it" as all my apps need to have constant, permanent access.

As far as your next step-so if you successfully flashed whitslack then you are on a rooted version of the 1.47 Stock ROM. You can run with that.
OR you can nand back that up for safe keeping and try out some custom ROMS.

Either way run ROM Manager (either DL from the Market or it'll most likely be included with a custom ROM) and use the options I talked about last night to install your Recovery image. You will always be able to run the manual recovery I told you about last night but it's much more convenient to have it permanently installed.
Flash Clockwork Recovery and stay with that or do that THEN select Flash Alternate Recovery form the ROM Manager menu and use a version of amon RA Recovery (that's what I'd do).
Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Jspecrx7 is just getting started
Smile Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Thanks again for the all the help, if you were closer I would buy you a 12 pack and give you a big kiss..... on the forehead of course. But I will have to read your last couple paragraphs bellow to fully comprehend what you typed...LOL..!! This whole android rooting is crazy stuff and is totally alien to me. Oh also to get the free tethering I just need to check the app market for one, down load it and I'm good to go?

[QUOTE=winmonewbie;1870370]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Ok I got it working all the way through, ends up I had the wrong PC36img. When you do the "SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition" it loads a a PC36img file on your sd card. Apparently it was the wrong one that I needed. I downloaded the other version from whitslacks thread and that did the trick. Thanks for the help man, so whats my next step? I see the Superuser permission icon in the apps menu, but when I click it, its blank. My current software is back to 1.47.651.1 and my 4G is working again thank god.

Sweet!
Superuser will be blank initially until you start running apps that require root permission. As you do Superuser will prompt you to Allow and then if you click on the icon you'll be looking at your Whitelist (allowed apps). I generally "set it and forget it" as all my apps need to have constant, permanent access.

As far as your next step-so if you successfully flashed whitslack then you are on a rooted version of the 1.47 Stock ROM. You can run with that.
OR you can nand back that up for safe keeping and try out some custom ROMS.

Either way run ROM Manager (either DL from the Market or it'll most likely be included with a custom ROM) and use the options I talked about last night to install your Recovery image. You will always be able to run the manual recovery I told you about last night but it's much more convenient to have it permanently installed.
Flash Clockwork Recovery and stay with that or do that THEN select Flash Alternate Recovery form the ROM Manager menu and use a version of amon RA Recovery (that's what I'd do).
Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Thanks again for the all the help, if you were closer I would buy you a 12 pack and give you a big kiss.....
12 pack? A big kiss?

LOL
Quote:
But I will have to read your last couple paragraphs bellow to fully comprehend what you typed...LOL..!! This whole android rooting is crazy stuff and is totally alien to me. Oh also to get the free tethering I just need to check the app market for one, down load it and I'm good to go?
Yeah, it should become more clear as you run ROM Manager
If you need to DL Wireless Tether you want the one from Muller, Lemons, and Buxton.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo

landerson is a n00b

I'm a less than a noob but I was able to follow FastRx8 videos and root my phone. I did not understand the process but I followed the videos as stated and I get wifi tethering. Now, I'm considering accepting the OTA update but I'm nervous about re-rooting my phone and keeping my settings. Is this possible? (I did read post 1015 but I just don't understand.)

Are there step-by-step directions or a video that explains this process for someone at my level, ie less than a noob?

Thanks in advance for any response
Old 07-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by landerson View Post
I'm a less than a noob but I was able to follow FastRx8 videos and root my phone. I did not understand the process but I followed the videos as stated and I get wifi tethering. Now, I'm considering accepting the OTA update but I'm nervous about re-rooting my phone and keeping my settings. Is this possible? (I did read post 1015 but I just don't understand.)

Are there step-by-step directions or a video that explains this process for someone at my level, ie less than a noob?

Thanks in advance for any response
STOP!!!!

DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OTA UPDATE. EVER.
Put down the phone and walk away slowly.

Was I clear enough? While there is currently a root for the latest OTA you always run the risk of that process not working on your device.
Now that you have root you just need to find a ROM that is rooted that has the OTA updates built in. If you ever hear about another OTA then just wait-in most cases a matter of days-and a developer will crack it and put out a ROM that you can use and maintain root.

So your next step if you want the OTA benefits is to get them the proper way.
This link will give you the OTA and a Stock (rooted) ROM.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915

This is OMJ's ROM. While custom it is very stock-esque and rock solid.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123534

I linked it because I use it and know it's great. Also aside from whitslacks Stock ROM it is the only custom ROM I know of atm, that updates the OTA files correctly.

This is Fast's video from Post #2. Watch the whole thing but the part about doing the Nand backup starts around 5:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oja2a6O96wQ

To restore you would do the exact same steps but if you needed to restore you would simply select that option in the menu. Remember restoring the whole Nand will put you back to where you started, it's not a way to restore you data.
If Post 1015 was over your head then once you get your ROM set up the way you like it you could use an app like Titanium Backup from the Market to backup/restore your apps and data.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

Loman is a n00b

Hi, new to Android here, past 4-5 phones were Winmo. All I can say is Android rocks! Have a couple questions about rooting the Evo. My Evo is on 1.32.651.6, is it better to root it as it is or do the OTA update to 1.47.651.1 and root? What is the difference in the end outcome whether you rooted from 1.32 or 1.47? Are the Recovery the same? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loman View Post
Hi, new to Android here, past 4-5 phones were Winmo. All I can say is Android rocks! Have a couple questions about rooting the Evo. My Evo is on 1.32.651.6, is it better to root it as it is or do the OTA update to 1.47.651.1 and root? What is the difference in the end outcome whether you rooted from 1.32 or 1.47? Are the Recovery the same? Thanks in advance.
Look up one post
IMO I'd go with root then get the OTA in it's rooted form like I said above. If everything goes correctly then there is no difference in the end result.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos