PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Carrier: Sprint

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm on the fence on whether I love or hate WP7

I am not going to senselessly bash the phone but isn't turning a blind eye to how much it's locked down.

I purchased my Arrive yesterday to test it in real life.

I dislike the lack of file explorer, no custom ringtones, so socket support (yet). Those are the only possible deal breakers for me. I also hate the fact that the screen auto tilts, and really nit-picking here about the power button is no longer recessed causing it to turn off in my case. Far from deal breakers.

Those things may be fixed in the future but even with those issues, the COMPLETE lack of lag, INSANE speed and the fact that the phone just works are some major pros.

I had a rom on my TP2 which caused the phone to run like shit and froze, lagged and was all around crappy. Even with the stock rom, I rarely found it useful to just think of something and browse as it was so slow, it wasn't worth it. IE runs so damn fast on this phone.

LOL after typing this, I will most likely keep it as the phone just works. The phone is also more responsive than my Cousin's EVO even though it can only preform a fraction of what android is capable of At the moment.

Sorry for the rant, just felt like typing something.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Htc Arrive: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus S 4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Wp7 is a love or hate .. I must say HTC arrive is a purely efficient device and that holds weight.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: I'm on the fence on whether I love or hate WP7

all of that is coming with mango except the file explorer so no worries (will be implemented via SkyDrive instead). also when u slide out the keyboard done slide it all the way and it won't tilt. I rarely use the keyboard anyway and the onscreen one is more than good enough. I get everything entered accurately and fast.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Threadstarter

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
all of that is coming with mango except the file explorer so no worries (will be implemented via SkyDrive instead). also when u slide out the keyboard done slide it all the way and it won't tilt. I rarely use the keyboard anyway and the onscreen one is more than good enough. I get everything entered accurately and fast.
I'll have to read up on what Mango is. I noticed that about the keyboard but it sometimes still slides fully open. Just gonna have to get used to it tilting.

Last edited by esqueue; 05-14-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I don't use it much but you get used to the keyboard. I like it better now because you can access the top row easier.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo/HTC Arrive

purian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the communitypurian23 is a trusted member of the community

I absolutely love my Arrive, I am 100% on board with Microsoft on this one. Their new OS will keep me sticking with them as mentioned above, the Mango update will just enhance some of the awesome features WP7 has to offer.

I came from a tp2 then Evo, I did start liking android a lot, it had a great marketplace. But I found myself flashing it and tweaking it as much as I did my tp2. So I made the switch to Wp7, ( Also all the time I spent tweaking my tp2, I felt like I was cheating on windows mobile w/android lol) Again though, i'm very impressed with this phone, yes it does lack some features, but it's young and they're def coming. The Marketplace is growing rapidly, great games, great apps...!! They have a winner OS in my opinion.

Android vs Windows Phone is all about the end user and what you care about from a phone. I love the windows and will stick with it!

Just give the phone a rolling chance, you'll begin to love it very quickly.!!

Last edited by purian23; 05-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Htc Arrive: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; Nexus S 4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purian23
I absolutely love my Arrive, I am 100% on board with Microsoft on this one. Their new OS will keep me sticking with them as mentioned above, the Mango update will just enhance some of the awesome features WP7 has to offer.

I came from a tp2 then Evo, I did start liking android a lot, it had a great marketplace. But I found myself flashing it and tweaking it as much as I did my tp2. So I made the switch to Wp7, ( Also all the time I spent tweaking my tp2, I felt like I was cheating on windows mobile w/android lol) Again though, i'm very impressed with this phone, yes it does lack some features, but it's young and they're def coming. The Marketplace is growing rapidly, great games, great apps...!! They have a winner OS in my opinion.

Android vs Windows Phone is all about the end user and what you care about from a phone. I love the windows and will stick with it!

Just give the phone a rolling chance, you'll begin to love it very quickly.!!
Well said p23.. I have similar feelings about windows. The arrive and wp7 is a breathe of fresh air for us++.

I think the addition of the physical KB was sprint/htc playing it safe. Basically a safe business move to satisfy the largest base of customers. More customers like the option of a physical KB, than full touch screens. They just took physical KB to another level with the addition of popping out and tilting. Its well designed and built if you ask me.

Enjoy your Arrive, wp7 and the efficiency of them both.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

No front facing camera is the thing.

Dual core 1.2 ghz processor would be nice.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
No front facing camera is the thing.

Dual core 1.2 ghz processor would be nice.
cutting edge hardware like that really isn't necessary with wp7 everything is already zippy and stable with no lag. its also even faster than the newer Android phones, Nokia however did say that they would make wp7 phones with that hardware tho. it does sound nice but I don't think I could leave HTC.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
cutting edge hardware like that really isn't necessary with wp7 everything is already zippy and stable with no lag. its also even faster than the newer Android phones, Nokia however did say that they would make wp7 phones with that hardware tho. it does sound nice but I don't think I could leave HTC.
I wholeheartedly agree. This OS is really fast. It almost seems like no faster hardware is necessary. Stuff just WORKS. We'll see after the mango update and if the OS becomes more customizable if it will make a difference on speed. I seem to think it won't bog it down.
The lag on some of these "top of the line" phones running Android really is comical how they start to slow down after they've been on for a while. I've seen first hand a slow EVO and a sluggish Thunderbolt. Not what I would have expected.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro