PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Wingzfan is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best way to watch tv

BTW, check craigslist for slingbox. I got my slingbox pro for $50
Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I honestly don't care if the Hava has very slightly better video quality (& if it does, I never saw it although I didn't compare them side by side), the equipment is junk & their customer service is horrible & that's not something that will be shown in an internet test comparing the two.

Do a fast Google search & you will pretty quickly turn up tons of Hava horror stories. That is not true at all of Sling.

~John
Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post
When I had sling the audio would lag very badly. It also took longer to set up. Hava has better picture quality period. If you look at the specs it will stream in a higher rez. They do have some issues to work on for remote quality and the mobile player but this can be fixed via firmware update which will hopefully be soon. Take a look for yourself
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/travel...slingbox-solo/ You can't argue with the pictures - Also had a built in dvr or you can add a usb hard drive. I don't know why anyone would buy a sling - I have owned both and sling was a big pile of poop

Actually if you set the streamming rate and such manually like I do, and have the capacity for upstream (2mbps up for me at home), the quality is just as good as the others.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I bought one of those pices of garbage originally because it was cheaper than a slingbox. I gave up on it aafter the third one broke in six weeks. Hava has some of the absolute wort CS I have ever dealt with & the equipment is junk.

At that point, I bought a SlingBox & have never had one single problem with it. I watched HBO in my truck last week while driving on a six hour roadtrip & it worked perfectly the entire way.
Wow you watch TP screen for 6 hours or did you use the video out?

Quote:
When I had sling the audio would lag very badly. It also took longer to set up. Hava has better picture quality period. If you look at the specs it will stream in a higher rez. They do have some issues to work on for remote quality and the mobile player but this can be fixed via firmware update which will hopefully be soon. Take a look for yourself
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/travel...slingbox-solo/ You can't argue with the pictures - Also had a built in dvr or you can add a usb hard drive. I don't know why anyone would buy a sling - I have owned both and sling was a big pile of poop
Your the only one going for the hava the specs dont lie but idk keep selling me i love all the input thanks everyone for keeping it on topic too
Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator03 View Post
Wow you watch TP screen for 6 hours or did you use the video out?

video out hooked to my 7" DVD/NAV screen.

~John
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
video out hooked to my 7" DVD/NAV screen.
Thanks money right there for sure

What about the quality of orb vs. the other methods and does orb have the hiccups it use to?

Last edited by Skelator03; 01-27-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: htc evo3D

Sim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuffSim-X knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Sim-X Send a message via Yahoo to Sim-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
Actually if you set the streamming rate and such manually like I do, and have the capacity for upstream (2mbps up for me at home), the quality is just as good as the others.
hmmmm, I know locally it will do up to 8 megabits - quality is fantastic. It won't let you set it higher than about a megabit if you are not local. At least for me anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator03 View Post
Your the only one going for the hava the specs dont lie but idk keep selling me i love all the input thanks everyone for keeping it on topic too
Trust me get a hava - I had no problems with set up. Better video quality, supports windows media center, mpeg2 for local and mpeg4 for internet. Also you can stream the same stream up to 5 local players at the same time. The sling doesn't do any of that. I have owned both, the hava worked much better and works much better on my older work computer. The remote quality needs some work and I never tried the mobile sling player (which is extra by the way) since I didn't have a smart phone at the time. It does need some work but overall for the price how can anyone possibly argue the facts. The sling didn't work for me and I'm sure people have had problems with the hava. Let's say they have equal amount of setup trouble. The hava still blows the doors off sling feature/quality & cost. The mobile player still not working in landscape mode which sucks but hopefully will be fixed soon.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

well hava has crappy support no doubt, and they really suck on mobile support, but it does work. I too had a landscape problem with th TP and Hava but downloaded the 640x480 version and it seems to work, you may try that. I tried the other "touch" files and they both had issues. Try the other file. the local viewing is great but alas the remote viewing does at least work, although the software lacks a few things.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

ysweatme is a n00b

Don't take this the wrong way, but you guys are on ppcgeeks. You write codes for all kinds of stuff and you can't set up a slingbox?

I totally agree with the frustrations toward having to buy the mobile slingbox app, but it definitely works well.....especially if you have a wifi signal. The only other thing I don't like about slingbox is that you literally control your tv, so that means if someone is home watching something on the connected tv, you have to watch what they are watching or vice versa. The ability to watch your dvr programs is priceless, though.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Wingzfan is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysweatme View Post
The only other thing I don't like about slingbox is that you literally control your tv, so that means if someone is home watching something on the connected tv, you have to watch what they are watching or vice versa. The ability to watch your dvr programs is priceless, though.
Get the pro version and this isnt an issue. Its got a seperate tuner input for basic cable so if someones watching the cable box you can switch inputs and watch basic cable.

Im not sure why people are having issues with slingbox. Ive had orb, my-iptv and slingbox setup and sling by far runs the smoothest and was the easiest to setup.

As far as hava goes. Ive never seen it used so all I know is what Ive read on it. Not charging for a mobile player is very nice however I didnt mind buying slings. Everyone keeps pointing to the price but not realizing what you get for that price. $99 gets you the basic box which means you have to watch whats on your cable box. And if you dont have a cable box forget it because it doesnt have a tv tuner built in to accept coax. The model that youd want from hava runs 249 which is $50 dollars cheaper than slings pro hd box. Hava does come with built in wifi on that box however.

The biggest issue for me is if something goes wrong you have to ship it o hava and wait for it to return and Im reading alot of people waiting weeks to get back they're systems. At least with sling you can take it to the store and exchange it and be done in minutes.

Im not sure how havas customer service really is but it doesnt look friendly from reviews online and they sound quite uneducated on they're product. I called sling the day I got mine because the guy I got it from lost the IR blaster and sling overnighted me 2 new ones at no charge even though I wasnt the originally owner.

Lastly, make sure you have enough bandwith to use hava or sling. Hava requires significantly more because they're encoding with mpeg where as sling uses wm9. Sling does a great job optimizing on the fly to adjust for signal strenght on my phone and I never get a dropped feed even with 1 bar. Hava's got a great price point but its under the hood that counts and who you have to deal with if something breaks down.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software