Wingzfan
PPCGeeks Regular

Wingzfan is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best way to watch tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysweatme View Post
The only other thing I don't like about slingbox is that you literally control your tv, so that means if someone is home watching something on the connected tv, you have to watch what they are watching or vice versa. The ability to watch your dvr programs is priceless, though.
Get the pro version and this isnt an issue. Its got a seperate tuner input for basic cable so if someones watching the cable box you can switch inputs and watch basic cable.

Im not sure why people are having issues with slingbox. Ive had orb, my-iptv and slingbox setup and sling by far runs the smoothest and was the easiest to setup.

As far as hava goes. Ive never seen it used so all I know is what Ive read on it. Not charging for a mobile player is very nice however I didnt mind buying slings. Everyone keeps pointing to the price but not realizing what you get for that price. $99 gets you the basic box which means you have to watch whats on your cable box. And if you dont have a cable box forget it because it doesnt have a tv tuner built in to accept coax. The model that youd want from hava runs 249 which is $50 dollars cheaper than slings pro hd box. Hava does come with built in wifi on that box however.

The biggest issue for me is if something goes wrong you have to ship it o hava and wait for it to return and Im reading alot of people waiting weeks to get back they're systems. At least with sling you can take it to the store and exchange it and be done in minutes.

Im not sure how havas customer service really is but it doesnt look friendly from reviews online and they sound quite uneducated on they're product. I called sling the day I got mine because the guy I got it from lost the IR blaster and sling overnighted me 2 new ones at no charge even though I wasnt the originally owner.

Lastly, make sure you have enough bandwith to use hava or sling. Hava requires significantly more because they're encoding with mpeg where as sling uses wm9. Sling does a great job optimizing on the fly to adjust for signal strenght on my phone and I never get a dropped feed even with 1 bar. Hava's got a great price point but its under the hood that counts and who you have to deal with if something breaks down.