PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you still keep Google Maps app after installing Garmin Mobile XT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
SInce some one revived this thread.
Garmin no longer supports the WM platform, to bad, I love Garmin Mobile XT, and I still use it, they told me they stopped supporting because they now have their Garmin phone, but they still support Black Berry, go figure! I am wondering if enough people contacted them requesting that they support WM if they would start again, I just can't imagine a company like Garmin abandoning all of us just to try and sell their phone, which is only available on AT&T, and T Mobile, if they knew how many people use WM, and are not with those two companies I wonder if they might rethink the whole deal.
It appears that SprintNav ie Telenav have started using GoogleMaps as their database, that dissapoints me because where I live there are a LOT of mistakes with Google maps, and when they fix them, they don't really fix them, I have a business, they had the street wrong, and my business on that street, they finily kind of fixed that mistake, I am on 580 East, they had 580 east on the next street over, now they have 580 east where it is supposed to be, and 580 east on the next street over, and my business is still routed to the next street over, just can't imagine that, and there are other streets that are like that all over...that said I do use Google Maps for some things.
Terry
IMHO, It's really not worth bothering Garmin. (I have their brand new map, with only NewEngland in the file, and its less than 200MB. PM me if interested)

M$ should be making leaps and bounds with their mobile Bing. For AndroidOS to have a free Nav app like Google Nav... I mean seriously! M$ get it together! How can they justify an app that works like molassas? It's THEIR OS! Write some decent code!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

gcianc is becoming a great contributor

Bing now does turn-by-turn and demolishes Google maps on like-devices. Better for everything. Some of you can't grasp WM devices have 1/2 the RAM and CPU as new Droid devices.

Bing runs great just close up background apps.

Garmin WM is useful since it doesn't need DATA. Also you can download 2009 maps if not newer. It's locked to the card it's installed with but search around for methods to move to a larger card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00b4s7eve View Post
IMHO, It's really not worth bothering Garmin. (I have their brand new map, with only NewEngland in the file, and its less than 200MB. PM me if interested)

M$ should be making leaps and bounds with their mobile Bing. For AndroidOS to have a free Nav app like Google Nav... I mean seriously! M$ get it together! How can they justify an app that works like molassas? It's THEIR OS! Write some decent code!
#1 smartphone annoyance: wasting 40% of home screen on a clock.
FINALLY! - with Windows Phone 7 Series... we are taking accountability for the entire experience. That means you will not see layers, like HTC Sense or TouchFLO built on top of the UI by OEMs or MOs (mobile operators). - Aaron Woodman, Microsoft Director of Consumer Experiences
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have mine moved to a larger card, I figured since they no longer support I can do what I want, anyway where can I download new maps?
Terry
Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcianc View Post
Bing now does turn-by-turn and demolishes Google maps on like-devices. Better for everything. Some of you can't grasp WM devices have 1/2 the RAM and CPU as new Droid devices.

Bing runs great just close up background apps.
haha, Oh I get it... I had the Mogul...

Maybe it time to try bing again if you're for it. It's just that it's menus are frustrating and they made it sooo heavy since it went bing :/
Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Bing is pretty cool, now that they have turn by turn, my problem is that I travel out of phone service quite a bit, but in coverage it is great, and I think it is easy to use, I jut wish they still had gas prices.
Terry
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

I have TomTom installed on my phone but, I have never used Google maps on my Windows Phone device (it's no longer called a PocketPC, or a PPC, or Windows Mobile, or....eh, forget it)

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 07-26-2010, 01:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: VZW

blackmeto is becoming a great contributor

Gmxt ftw!!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

The big Three for me are:
Garmin Mobile XT (for offline use, no data needed)
Bing Mobile (starting to like this one better than any others honestly)
Google Maps

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Tilt2
Carrier: ATT

omgtrey is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
Is there any reason to still keep Google Maps app after installing Garmin Mobile XT?
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Garmin Mobile XT now incorporates google search.
So, I'm wondering if there is incremental benefit to keeping Google Maps app.

I have both installed on my phone and use both. I only use the Garmin Mobile XT on occasion, though, as I found Google Maps to be much easier and it runs better on my phone (HTC Tilt2/Touch Pro 2/Rhodium) for some reason. Garmin takes up a LOT more space, which may also be something to consider. However, I have and use both..
When I went on longer (3+ hours) trips, I would use Garmin, as sometimes GM's locator doesn't always show the correct location.. it's not all the time, but I did find the Garmin to be better on longer trips.
/2cents
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

quick searches: bing
gps directions: garmin xt

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software