PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: Sprint

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you still keep Google Maps app after installing Garmin Mobile XT?

I have been playing with other GPS programs, I liked Destinator but it could not find the onboard GPS, I finilly got it to connect with a blue tooth GPS, but who wants to carry that around when they have onboard gps, I still like Garmin the best, I just wish they would recosider not supporting WM, I know they have their own phone now but from what I have read it is not that great of a phone, and it is tied to T mobile, anyway, I think what I will end up doing is using Garmin for long trips, and trips out of coverage, then if where I need to be is in a new part of town I will use Bing, or Google, since there is coverage in most growing towns, and cities.
Terry

Last edited by Tmair; 08-14-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

IT_Architect is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Would you still keep Google Maps app after installing Garmin Mobile XT?

Can someone test 2 routes for me in Garmin?: I'm looking for NAV for my TP2 so I can navigate and talk. I've narrowed it down to Garmin XT and the 2011 maps, and Navigon with the lane help. What I would like is if I could send someone a two sets of beginning and end points and see what Garmin comes back with for a route.

A Vendor showing WM Commitment: Posts on this thread highlight the lack of vendor commitment to WM. I was thinking at first I had it narrowed down to Garmin and IGO. However, that has changed. After my research of people's posts across a lot of forums, IGO is looking pretty weak on their commitment to WM while Navigon, one that I didn't expect to consider, has good maps, both city and country, and current WM support. Navigon is the current darling of WPhone 7, and supports the older phones. Unlike Garmin, you need to pay for your map updates. They are starting a new program now where you can just buy a map update when you want to. The only complaint I've heard so far is, while it supports portrait and landscape, some people are having problems with it switching. Their latest maps as Q4 of 2009, which is surprising since they own NAVTEQ and Garmin leases data from them, and Garmin has 2011 maps, even for Garmin XT, which they no longer sell. But buying the company and assimilating it are two different matters, and perhaps Navigon has to pay like everyone else.

Notes about on-line maps that I've used:
*None of these are a solution for me because they don't let you take calls and navigate nor do they work when you are lose signal.
- Sprint NAV is free with my service, but it will route me through the middle of a woods and have me go the wrong way down an expressway ramp that they changed years ago. That's inexcusable for an on-line service. Another time I asked for the expressway and unnecessarily ran me through the middle of town, bypassing closer on-ramps. If it works that way on simple trips in areas that I do know, there is no way that I'm going to trust it for areas that I don't know.
- Google Maps for the desktop beats anything else out there because you can drag routes. However, you can't do that for the mobile version, leaving it in a position where it has nothing noteworthy to add other than the Google name.
- Bing surprised me. TTS just got out of beta. I loaded it with the "whatever" attitude. However after I tried it, it got me to uninstall Google Maps. I couldn't find ANYTHING Bing doesn't do better than Google maps. It's faster, finds attractions better, navigates to them easier, you name it.

Last edited by IT_Architect; 02-21-2011 at 06:05 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software