PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

last night I got a notice of a software update coming soon which when I looked into it wasn't anything informative .. today I got the ota for ec05 but I'm going to hold off on installing since I was very disappointed with eb13 .. anyways I'm on di18 so for those that were discussing about us folks getting it first chalk me up as 1
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Epic 4g EC05 - 3/21?!?1 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpringz View Post
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

last night I got a notice of a software update coming soon which when I looked into it wasn't anything informative .. today I got the ota for ec05 but I'm going to hold off on installing since I was very disappointed with eb13 .. anyways I'm on di18 so for those that were discussing about us folks getting it first chalk me up as 1
i waited on sprint this time(i got the eb13 from sammy, after the problems i saw with the 1st ota, i wasnt messin with that ota update) but they came thru this morning. woke up to an android update available. installed it, hard reset(for shits n giggs).
not bad..what i really like is that at the end of a call..i DONT have to hit the end call button. It returns to the previous screen automatically, seems that small quirk has been fixed. camcorder seems better than eb13 stock. gps seems improved, got the closest lock on me, ever in my apartment. usually it would say i was in the courtyard behind me, but the arrow is directly over my side of the roof, nice.
havent rooted or anything. also havent noticed faster data speeds, but i never had a problem with that, so i guess as long as it isnt worse its a win situation.
they just might've gotten this one right, this time.

Last edited by skeegcpp; 03-25-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeegcpp View Post
i waited on sprint this time(i got the eb13 from sammy, after the problems i saw with the 1st ota, i wasnt messin with that ota update) but they came thru this morning. woke up to an android update available. installed it, hard reset(for shits n giggs).
not bad..what i really like is that at the end of a call..i DONT have to hit the end call button. It returns to the previous screen automatically, seems that small quirk has been fixed. camcorder seems better than eb13 stock. gps seems improved, got the closest lock on me, ever in my apartment. usually it would say i was in the courtyard behind me, but the arrow is directly over my side of the roof, nice.
havent rooted or anything. also havent noticed faster data speeds, but i never had a problem with that, so i guess as long as it isnt worse its a win situation.
they just might've gotten this one right, this time.
BIGTIME CONGRATS, skee! You're the first recorded EB13 to EC05 OTA so far! The EB13 people still going crazy over at XDA over no access to it. I'm with you on the previous probs avoidance. If you've got it, there's hope for the rest of us.

BTW, Here's a late-breaking note from someone at XDA for anyone interested:

--------------------------------------------------------------
This was just posted over at the sprint boards by a tech:

~ Additional information for the FROYO 2.2 Update for the Samsung Epic ~
EB13 phones ARE receiving the update notification. Many posters have claimed there are ZERO reports of EB13 phones receiving the EC05 update or that EB13 phones will not receive the update; this is factually not true. If you are on this version and haven’t received the update notification, make sure your phone is visible to the Google servers by updating or downloading an app or game from the market. And, since the update is pushed from Google, Sprint is and was being told that all Epics would get the update within the previous mentioned 4 days but as we’ve seen, it may take a few days longer, so please be patient. Some Sprint Service & Repair Centers have received the Android 2.2 software to update the Samsung Transform manually via OTW or Over the Wire. They have not received the software for the Epic as of today, but have been told they will receive it by the end of March. Check with your local Sprint Service & Repair Center for an Epic OTW update if you still have not received the update notification by the end of March.
“Buggy” EB13 phones – We have several posts stating that EB13 was buggy from the initial install, but performing a factory data reset resolved many of the issues and made EB13 quite stable. For those stating their EB13 is problematic, we recommend a factory data reset or even better the Sprint ##RTN, (which clears the programming info as well), prior to updating to EC05. Factory reset can be done through menu, settings, Privacy. The ##RTN requires a special code that customer care can give you. These resets have been quite successful in clearing many software anomalies experienced by some Epic owners. There are many backup applications in the market for those wishing to backup more than just contacts prior to performing the reset. For those unaware of the import/export feature for contacts, it’s a menu option when in the contact application and it copies your contacts to the SD. Export sends them to the SD; Import brings them back after the reset.
Speak Incoming Caller ID Feature – This feature was available on DI18 (Android 2.1) listed under the “Text-to-Speech” setting. Text-to-Speech has been changed to “Voice Input and Output” with the Text-to-Speech being a sub option. The Speak Incoming Caller ID feature was removed. There are, however, many apps available in the market that can add this feature back to your phone. Just search Speaking Caller ID in the market.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Wait someone got a EB13 to EC05 update and didn't make a dump/track logcat? *sigh*..oh well...I'm sure people would have wanted it :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Nah, I never said I was on eb13 when I installed the ota. I meant I didn't get the eb13 from sprint.
I was on di18 when I installed. My bad for not clarifying.

Last edited by skeegcpp; 03-28-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

did they pull back the ota ? I'm not getting the notification anymore & from what I read it sucks more than eb13
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

hc3cuz is a n00b

I am currently on eb13 manuel update and I just got the OTA about 15 mins ago. I hit update now and it restarted now has just been sitting a black sreen with little green droid alien and a yellow exclamtion point for the past 15-20 mins
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

Mine just came through easy-breezy. All my apps are in the right places and working (so far). GPS is MUCH faster and more accurate. Haven't used video cam (ever) so I don't know about that.

There's a OTA file on XDA: EB13 to EC05 OTA link - xda-developers

Like I said elsewhere, the trick was to go to Market and dl something. Anything. Right after that, the EC05 came through over EB13.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

mikeflynn is a n00b

I got the OTA and updated from EB13, which I had installed manually. Still seeing all the same problems with EC05 that I saw with EB13...keyboard is laggy and I am constantly having to go back and fix typos that I know I didn't make. I never did a factory reset before updating to EB13, so I did a factory reset and wiped all my data and it automatically put EC05 back on...but the keyboard is still making me really mad. Any suggestions? I am a total noob at this stuff, just want my phone to work as well as the day I bought it.

edit: also the volume will not go any lower than "vibrate"....I no longer can go to silent. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflynn View Post
I got the OTA and updated from EB13, which I had installed manually. Still seeing all the same problems with EC05 that I saw with EB13...keyboard is laggy and I am constantly having to go back and fix typos that I know I didn't make. I never did a factory reset before updating to EB13, so I did a factory reset and wiped all my data and it automatically put EC05 back on...but the keyboard is still making me really mad. Any suggestions? I am a total noob at this stuff, just want my phone to work as well as the day I bought it.

edit: also the volume will not go any lower than "vibrate"....I no longer can go to silent. Any help will be appreciated.
I am now playing around with ACS 1.1.0 custom rom which has a NEW kb fix..as far as I tried it works well...

But atm they only have a EXT4 rom with no journaling..if thats ok with you you can try that...

Edit: actually from looks of it thats part of the kernel...you can just load up the latest Twilight Kernel v1.1.0 and use that with stock rom..that "should" work

For your second thing, have you tried hitting mute in the notification bar?

Last edited by gTen; 03-30-2011 at 01:18 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G