PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

mikeflynn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Epic 4g EC05 - 3/21?!?1 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I am now playing around with ACS 1.1.0 custom rom which has a NEW kb fix..as far as I tried it works well...

But atm they only have a EXT4 rom with no journaling..if thats ok with you you can try that...

Edit: actually from looks of it thats part of the kernel...you can just load up the latest Twilight Kernel v1.1.0 and use that with stock rom..that "should" work
Thanks for the reply. To load up that Twilight kernel do I need Odin or something? I am a Mac user, and as far as I know Odin isn't available for us.

The vibrate/silent thing has been addressed elsewhere I saw...new setting in 2.2 that makes no sense at all.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflynn View Post
Thanks for the reply. To load up that Twilight kernel do I need Odin or something? I am a Mac user, and as far as I know Odin isn't available for us.

The vibrate/silent thing has been addressed elsewhere I saw...new setting in 2.2 that makes no sense at all.
No, you dont need odin, it can be loaded up with clockworkmod

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Lurker

mikeflynn is a n00b

Quote:
No, you dont need odin, it can be loaded up with clockworkmod
Okay thanks, I have seen CWM instructions for Mac users around, I will load that up asap.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:27 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Also, if you need to ever use Odin in the future on a mac there is this tool:

Heimdall – Glass Echidna

BUT! do not use it in Android 2.1..only 2.2 on a mac!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 AM
Lurker

mikeflynn is a n00b

Quote:
Also, if you need to ever use Odin in the future on a mac there is this tool:

Heimdall – Glass Echidna

BUT! do not use it in Android 2.1..only 2.2 on a mac!
Perfect, thank you.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, Sprint Touch Pro 2, Samsung Epic 4G

NipTuck170 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to NipTuck170

I have EB13 on my phone from the factory. The only thing i did so far was root the phone with the "one click root + clockwork" (haven't had the balls to flash a new rom yet, seems so much more complicated than windows). I was just wondering if the fact that the phone is rooted is going to mess up my upgradeto EC05 OTA. I just got the upgrade notification on my phone last night.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipTuck170 View Post
I have EB13 on my phone from the factory. The only thing i did so far was root the phone with the "one click root + clockwork" (haven't had the balls to flash a new rom yet, seems so much more complicated than windows). I was just wondering if the fact that the phone is rooted is going to mess up my upgradeto EC05 OTA. I just got the upgrade notification on my phone last night.
You can OTA, it shouldn't interfere..
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

NipTuck170 is a n00b

I just tried...after it rebooted, and i got the robot with the box, the green bar underneath moved as if it was downloading for about 3 seconds, and then i got an exclamation point in a triangle next to it. I hit the home key to get to CWM, and it said that it failed to verify a signature. Any ideas? Should i flash to a stock EB13 with Odin so its not rooted and has the samsung recovery console? Or can i avoid that?

Im still afraid of just going to a custom rom. It seems really complicated and it seems like a lot of things can go wrong. I use my phone all day long and can't be without it for too long if anything goes wrong. This is the best guide ive found for flashing: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...s-dummies.html . Is there a better one i should follow for my first time flashing an android rom? Do i need to flash anything else? I keep seeing people talk about flashing modems and stuff. I havent been able to find a complete noob guide for android.

By the way gTen, you've been really helpful. Always have great advice and input. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipTuck170 View Post
I just tried...after it rebooted, and i got the robot with the box, the green bar underneath moved as if it was downloading for about 3 seconds, and then i got an exclamation point in a triangle next to it. I hit the home key to get to CWM, and it said that it failed to verify a signature. Any ideas? Should i flash to a stock EB13 with Odin so its not rooted and has the samsung recovery console? Or can i avoid that?
Did you remove anything from within the rom after rooting like sprint stuff?

Quote:
Im still afraid of just going to a custom rom. It seems really complicated and it seems like a lot of things can go wrong. I use my phone all day long and can't be without it for too long if anything goes wrong. This is the best guide ive found for flashing: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...s-dummies.html . Is there a better one i should follow for my first time flashing an android rom? Do i need to flash anything else? I keep seeing people talk about flashing modems and stuff. I havent been able to find a complete noob guide for android.
Its pretty straight forward...if your going for an EXT4 rom, just flash clockworkmod 3 if you havent already (same way you did rooting)..then inside clockwork pick the rom you want to flash..

Just make sure your data is backed up..and know this in 99% of the time you can always Odin back..so don't worry too much about messing up...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

NipTuck170 is a n00b

Quote:
Did you remove anything from within the rom after rooting like sprint stuff?
Nope, didn't remove anything. Although I feel like I was missing apps when I rooted.

Quote:
Its pretty straight forward...if your going for an EXT4 rom, just flash clockworkmod 3 if you havent already (same way you did rooting)..then inside clockwork pick the rom you want to flash..

Just make sure your data is backed up..and know this in 99% of the time you can always Odin back..so don't worry too much about messing up...
I think I may try to to flash a custom rom this sunday when I'm not too busy. How do i boot into CWM by the way (what 3 buttons do i push)? And I also tried the power button + the 1 button to go to download mode, and that doesn't seem to be working for me (was just testing it out). Am I missing something?

And one more thing, I like backing up with Titanium Backup. Will it restore everything to whatever rom i put on?

Last edited by NipTuck170; 03-30-2011 at 02:46 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G