PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Epic 4g EC05 - 3/21?!?1 Discussion

Found this..checking if its valid from other sources while we all go crazy..:P

And am I blind or does it say "add Sprint ID" O.o????!??!

Quote:
Action Required: 3/21/11 Software Updates: Samsung Epic, Galaxy Tab, & Transform
Effective Monday, 3/21/11, these software updates will be available through Google Over-the-Air (OTA). All these devices will recognize a software update is required and will prompt the customer. See the device specific documents at ISC > Quick Links > Software Updates for required actions and associated screen shots. These device specific documents also include FAQs on how to use Sprint ID on the Epic and Tab. Other details:

Samsung Epic Upgrading to EC05

Update will be pushed to customers over a 4-day period
OTA duration time = 10-20 minutes; install time = 8-10 minutes
After the update completes, verify the new software version (Menu > Settings > About Phone)
Enhancements/fixes: upgrade to Android 2.2.1 (Froyo), add Sprint ID, install apps to external storage, improved Bluetooth device support, Bluetooth voice dialing, Flash Player 10.1, GPS enhancements improved OS performance.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Upgrading to EB28

After the update completes, verify the new software version (Menu > Settings > About My Galaxy Tab)
Enhancements/fixes: adding Sprint ID, adding DSA to check usage
Samsung Transform Upgrading to EB28

If a customer doesn�t initiate the update when prompted, the customer can install it manually after 3/24/11 (Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates > Update Android)
After the update completes, verify the new software version (Menu > Settings > About Phone)
Enhancements/fixes: upgrade to Android 2.2 (Froyo), addition of Swype, Sprint Zone 2.5, Sprint ID activation improvements, Google Syncing errors, landscape mode issues on Home Screen, Search shortcut key, Sprint 3G mobile Hot Spot, updating from version DI01 to DI11 with Bluetooth on.
Note: All software updates are subject to change.
Update: There is a screenshot:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...print-march-21

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 03-17-2011 at 08:42 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
Re: Epic 4g EC05 - 3/21?!?1 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Found this..checking if its valid from other sources while we all go crazy..:P

And am I blind or does it say "add Sprint ID" O.o????!??!

Update: There is a screenshot:

Samsung Epic, Galaxy Tab, and Transform OTA's coming from Sprint March 21 | Android Central
Damn, I thought it would be EC26.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

It does say add sprint ID. WTF please tell me this is something we can either deny to install when getting the update or is something we can remove.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
It does say add sprint ID. WTF please tell me this is something we can either deny to install when getting the update or is something we can remove.
The good news is we can remove it..the bad news is its extra bloat that may make updating to say Gingerbread more painful..
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

im sure the developers which do a great job will find a way to remove this bloatware heck they were able to remove the carrier IQ mess.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
im sure the developers which do a great job will find a way to remove this bloatware heck they were able to remove the carrier IQ mess.
Removing it is not a problem..the problem is the more bloat is added to the device, the longer it takes the manufacturer/sprint to release updates...as they gotta make sure the bloat still works properly :/
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

pringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpringlet is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pringlet

Sounds to me like Sprint ID is crapware/bloatware. Hopefully it's an apk that can be removed SDX Stock App.

Link to a review of Sprint ID
Sprint ID for Android smartphones (review) | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews
Old 03-18-2011, 12:57 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pringlet View Post
Sounds to me like Sprint ID is crapware/bloatware. Hopefully it's an apk that can be removed SDX Stock App.

Link to a review of Sprint ID
Sprint ID for Android smartphones (review) | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews
Well Sprint ID is nice for those that dont know how to root or etc...but the problem is Sprint ID is built into the system..not optional...so updates are delayed by it :/..similar to a custom UI...
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2

josidhe is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My impression of SID isn't so much as a sense/twiz/blur desktop replacement as it is an 'experience' packager. If your phone is primarily social, a particular configuration and collection of apps can come all at once at you. Likewise if you travel, work business, etc.

It definitely sounds potentially less bloaty than other crap we see in the Android world, and if I had to choose between motoblur and SID, well hell.

At some point we have to realize that pure AOSP is never going to be the norm without enforcement from Google, and the best we can do is support the least boggish carrier additions, cuz blanket whining won't accomplish a dang thing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josidhe View Post
My impression of SID isn't so much as a sense/twiz/blur desktop replacement as it is an 'experience' packager. If your phone is primarily social, a particular configuration and collection of apps can come all at once at you. Likewise if you travel, work business, etc.

It definitely sounds potentially less bloaty than other crap we see in the Android world, and if I had to choose between motoblur and SID, well hell.

At some point we have to realize that pure AOSP is never going to be the norm without enforcement from Google, and the best we can do is support the least boggish carrier additions, cuz blanket whining won't accomplish a dang thing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Yes its not a replacement..its a themer thing...as stated its nice for average users..for us we can load up our own themes/profiles..

Truthfully Intercept/Moment/Transform have ASOP launcher..

The problem here is whe they say work on Gingerbread for our phones..we will get delays because they have to make sure both TW and SprintID work..thats extra work...thus delays..:/

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G