PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 PM
latinlover515's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Reputation: 30
latinlover515 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

hi guys. i dont know if this has been posted or not. i did a few searches with no luck here on the forums..but then again my eye sight isnt that great so how knows.. Ok Iam using the FROYO that came out 2 weeks ago. I flashed the phone using the 200 MB full ROM for the Epic.. So in other words iam on stock ROM..and my phone has been rooted with clockwork mod 2.5.1.0...

But here is my question or my questions. When I go clockwork mod and choose back up and restore feature ,What are the things that are backed up and what are the things are restored when ever I use those features???? appz , settings or what?

Iam only asking becuase I have a backup and restore software for computer called Acronis. and with that software Iam able to restore the computer in minutes..
For example I reformat my computer then after i finssh installing windows and all my apps then I boot the computer and Acronis and create a full restore Image. so that way if i ever get i virus or my PC crashes I can restore my computer in like 5 minutes using the back up IMAGE that I created using this Acronis method.....

So my question is the back up and restore on clockwork mod is the similar thing as Acronis.? or what are the things that are backed up when ever i used the backup feature on clockwork? Iam asking because i was playing around and I created a backup using this feature and just for hahas i did a factory reset on my phone and I went back to clockwork and used the restore feature and i restored the phone. so when I booted the phone all my installed apps and settings were installed again almost similar to Acronis software for computer..

So in this case I wonder what would happen if after a restore the phone using the restore thingy on clockwork, if I do another factory reset will the phone go back to the stocks settings like if i have never used to backup / restore before?

Or if in order for me to return to a full factory reset after using the backup /restore feature do I have to reflash my phone with the 200 MB ROM again? Or just doing a factory reset should make my phone to go back to full stocks settings????

I know its preaty confusing topic but i will like to know... Thanks in advance....

Last edited by latinlover515; 03-07-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

When you clockwork mod you make a backup image yes...you can restore either then entire rom or via Advanced restore the settings and apps only

Factory reset effectively just wipes all the user data
__________________
Earn some spare cash and get cash back at stores like NewEgg and more:

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 AM
latinlover515's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE
Threadstarter
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Reputation: 30
latinlover515 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
When you clockwork mod you make a backup image yes...you can restore either then entire rom or via Advanced restore the settings and apps only

Factory reset effectively just wipes all the user data
ok but what about if i just do a facory reset after i used the restored that i did on the phone using restore on clock work. if i factory reset willl the phone fully reset to factory stock settings or i will not longer get the stocks settings since the restore moddified the stock ROM that I was using before I restore with clockwork? meaning doing a factory reset and go back to stock setting like if i had never used this clockwork thingy. like i said before this is a confusing question but iam trying to make my self as clear as possible. and by the way thanks for your reply GTEN..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlover515 View Post
ok but what about if i just do a facory reset after i used the restored that i did on the phone using restore on clock work. if i factory reset willl the phone fully reset to factory stock settings or i will not longer get the stocks settings since the restore moddified the stock ROM that I was using before I restore with clockwork? meaning doing a factory reset and go back to stock setting like if i had never used this clockwork thingy. like i said before this is a confusing question but iam trying to make my self as clear as possible. and by the way thanks for your reply GTEN..
it will effectively wipe your user data and apps..if you load a custom rom for exampe..it wont take you to stock.it will take you to how the rom was when you initially installed it...

so if you restore data only via advanced restore via clockwork...then it will wipe that restored data yes...if you restore the entire rom.then it will just clear the data and apps of that flashed rom..it wont return you to previous rom.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
latinlover515's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE
Threadstarter
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Reputation: 30
latinlover515 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
it will effectively wipe your user data and apps..if you load a custom rom for exampe..it wont take you to stock.it will take you to how the rom was when you initially installed it...

so if you restore data only via advanced restore via clockwork...then it will wipe that restored data yes...if you restore the entire rom.then it will just clear the data and apps of that flashed rom..it wont return you to previous rom.
I guess iam not explaining my self clear.. i guess my main question is. lets say that I flahedmy phone with totally stock ROM . ok i downloaded and installed over 50 apps (as an example.) and now i want to create a backup on clockwork.. so eventually i go to clockwork and crate a back up into my SD card.. now after the backup its made my phone boost normal into the desktop. and of coarse i seee all my installed apps and all my settings are there. now just to make sure that my backup work ill do a factory reset on the phone wich I undeerstand from the begining that this will delete or i should say erase all my personal data like contacts and settings (even the 50 apps that I iinstalled...) ok now aster factory reset Ill go back to clock work and do restore and after restore is complete my phone will reboot as normal. and once its on my desk op i see that all my apps and settings are back to nomal.. OK here is my main question out of this whole topic.. OK now i want to do another factory rese OK factory reset for the second time has been done again... MAIN QUESTION >>>> after i do the second factory reset of coarse right after using RESTORE on CLOCKWORK MOD will my stock ROM will fully reset to factory reset like if had never used the RESTORE on CLOCKWORK? Or after you used RESTORE the stock ROM will never return to be the same doing a FACTORY RESET as it was before using RESTORE? iam asking because this restoring thing could be like flashing a phone so maybe the stock ROM or what ever ROM you are using it could never be the same after RESTOREING on CLOCKWORK... Iam trying to be as clear possible. that way I explaind the things that i had donde or that i want to do to be sure that iiam doing the right thing... By the way where is that ADVANCE RESTORE that you are talking about??

Last edited by latinlover515; 03-08-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 AM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlover515 View Post
I guess iam not explaining my self clear.. i guess my main question is. lets say that I flahedmy phone with totally stock ROM . ok i downloaded and installed over 50 apps (as an example.) and now i want to create a backup on clockwork.. so eventually i go to clockwork and crate a back up into my SD card.. now after the backup its made my phone boost normal into the desktop. and of coarse i seee all my installed apps and all my settings are there. now just to make sure that my backup work ill do a factory reset on the phone wich I undeerstand from the begining that this will delete or i should say erase all my personal data like contacts and settings (even the 50 apps that I iinstalled...) ok now aster factory reset Ill go back to clock work and do restore and after restore is complete my phone will reboot as normal. and once its on my desk op i see that all my apps and settings are back to nomal.. OK here is my main question out of this whole topic.. OK now i want to do another factory rese OK factory reset for the second time has been done again... MAIN QUESTION >>>> after i do the second factory reset of coarse right after using RESTORE on CLOCKWORK MOD will my stock ROM will fully reset to factory reset like if had never used the RESTORE on CLOCKWORK? Or after you used RESTORE the stock ROM will never return to be the same doing a FACTORY RESET as it was before using RESTORE? iam asking because this restoring thing could be like flashing a phone so maybe the stock ROM or what ever ROM you are using it could never be the same after RESTOREING on CLOCKWORK... Iam trying to be as clear possible. that way I explaind the things that i had donde or that i want to do to be sure that iiam doing the right thing... By the way where is that ADVANCE RESTORE that you are talking about??
*block of text crits gten* :P

You are confusing me.so ill explain how clockwork works and how factory reset works..

Clockworkmod makes a full nand backup..aka it freezes everything you currently have into an image.

When you do factory reset all it does is wipe all the cache and delete user data and user installed apps. If your say using a custom rom with apps pre-installed..it will wipe all apps that are 3rd party, even the pre-installed apps unless they are registered as system apps..

Advanced restore is under Backup and Restore, its an option to do advanced restore in clockwork...its the opposite of factory reset..it restores your user data from one rom to another without restoring the actual rom..note that this can have side effects when transferring from one rom to another..
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 AM
latinlover515's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE
Threadstarter
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Reputation: 30
latinlover515 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

thanks GTEN.. so in otherword your saying that using the restore feature on clockwork should not moddifed permanently the stock ROM that iam using. so that means that everytime that i do a factory reset the phone should go back 100% to stock ROM like if i had never used restore before right? or is there a way to harm the stock ROM that iam using by using the wrong restore option on clockwork? iam only asking becuase there several ways. there is back up restore then the advance one that just just told me. i dont know what difference will it be restoring from just restore and going to just adavance ...

Ok so for me to just restore my apps and settings on the adance restore I only have to restore DATA right? bcuz i see like 4 different option like boot sytem data and i forgat the other ones.. i dont know if i need to restore another one from tthat list.... and what is thios other cache in there. davilk o david how ever its ever its called. what is that for?

Last edited by latinlover515; 03-09-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM
shane6374's Avatar
O-Matic
Offline
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink
Location: The Frozen Tundra
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,131
Reputation: 2980
shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
To just restore you apps&data use backup&retore/advanced restore/data. This will also restore call logs, google login data, txt msgs. I use it every time I flash. It works great as long as you have't installed anything that might cause a conflict. So inother words, flash (or odin), let the phone reboot, root if you're not rooted, let the phone restart, boot in to recovery, then do the restore.

Sent from my Epic 4G running the midNIGHT rom via Tapatalk
__________________

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
gTen's Avatar
"The Fuzzy One"
Offline
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Internet
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,855
Reputation: 9080
gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinlover515 View Post
thanks GTEN.. so in otherword your saying that using the restore feature on clockwork should not moddifed permanently the stock ROM that iam using. so that means that everytime that i do a factory reset the phone should go back 100% to stock ROM like if i had never used restore before right? or is there a way to harm the stock ROM that iam using by using the wrong restore option on clockwork? iam only asking becuase there several ways. there is back up restore then the advance one that just just told me. i dont know what difference will it be restoring from just restore and going to just adavance ...

Ok so for me to just restore my apps and settings on the adance restore I only have to restore DATA right? bcuz i see like 4 different option like boot sytem data and i forgat the other ones.. i dont know if i need to restore another one from tthat list.... and what is thios other cache in there. davilk o david how ever its ever its called. what is that for?
Well thats assuming that you are always sticking to stock yes..if you say flash a custom rom..then do a factory reset..you wont go back to stock...
Reply With Quote
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
latinlover515's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: SPRINT EPIC 4G
Carrier: BOOST MOBILE
Threadstarter
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
Reputation: 30
latinlover515 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: Backup & Restore feature on Clockwork Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well thats assuming that you are always sticking to stock yes..if you say flash a custom rom..then do a factory reset..you wont go back to stock...

iThanks again i always knew that flash a costum ROM and doing a factory reset wil not bring you back to a stock ROM. i always knew that even on the old days of TP2.. i only had that worry about using the restore thing and if decide to do a factory reset i wasnt able to fully go back to stocks settings thinking that the restore will modify the stock ROM or cuase some permanent changes that even doing factory reset will not reset those changes.. and i thought that if that was the case i had to reflash the stock ROM again. ok but now so i only care to restore apps and settings. so on the adance restore i only choose data right? or do i have to chooose another one from the list as well in order to do so? or what will happened if i dont go to advance and just hit restore and let it do its thing?

Last edited by latinlover515; 03-09-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com