PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Since using midNIGHT ROM, have you become more Autism Aware?
Yes. Keep up the good work. 66 94.29%
No. You need to focus a bit more on that. 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

abednego is keeping up the good workabednego is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v4.0 (BYOR Edition) 2/24/2011

Good evening,

Having difficulties flashing the ROM. Watched the video - but it's slightly blurry:

Quote:
Instructions:
1) Odin EB13 full tar..
2) Root with the NEW CW3.0.0.6 OneClick by Dameon
3) Copy the midNIGHT ROM v4.0 (BYOR Edition) to your SD card.
4) Delete the current “midNIGHT ROM Extras” folder from your SD Card
5) Boot into CW3 and let it convert. DO NOT REBOOT.
6) Flash midNIGHT V4.0 and reboot (THIS WILL WIPE DATA and DOES NOT BACK UP AND RESTORE)
7) The Process WILL TAKE ABOUT 5 MINUTES TO FLASH SO DON’T PANIC. Also you will sit on the Samsung screen for at least a minute.
Using Quickboot, boot back into CW3
9) Navigate to the midNIGHT ROM Extras folder and flash individual zips to build you custom ROM.
and/or
10) Navigate to the midNIGHT ROM Extras folder and flash the midNIGHT ROM v4.0 Standard Edition UPGRADE.zip and you will enjoy the “Typical” or “Standard” midNIGHT ROM release..
ALL SUPPORT WILL BE GIVEN AT THE XDA and PPCGeeks
I don't understand what Odin is or why it's necessary.

My phone is rooted - and converted... but how do I flash the new rom? I don't understand what option I select...

Also - why am I deleting the "Extras" folder, only to put it back on?

*EDIT*

There was no option for Step 4... so I restarted my phone to use "ODIN" (even though I thought this was to root and flash?) and now my device is stuck on the Samsung logo....

Going through Odin steps as we speak... so I can at least boot up my phone.

Last edited by abednego; 03-06-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
Good evening,

Having difficulties flashing the ROM. Watched the video - but it's slightly blurry:

I don't understand what Odin is or why it's necessary.

My phone is rooted - and converted... but how do I flash the new rom? I don't understand what option I select...

Also - why am I deleting the "Extras" folder, only to put it back on?
If your phone is already upgraded to stock froyo EB13, it's not necessary. If not, using odin to flash the stock EB13 rom will install the modem.

Deleting the "Extras" folder only applies to people that have been using previous versions of the midNIGHT rom.

Boot into recovery by vol up + vol down + camera + power and hold until the buttons on the bottom of the phone light up.

vol down button to "Install zip from sdcard" and press the camera button, then vol down to "choose zip from sd card" and camera button, then navigate to where you saved midNIGHT rom (camera button is like the enter button in recovery), then install the rom.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.

Last edited by shane6374; 03-06-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Ok, looks like the main issue - was I had extracted the contents ... instead of keeping everything archived in the zip.

What was odd though, was Android System Recovery was booting up, not Clockwork Recovery.

I started over - re flashed and re installed... and midNIGHT ROM v4.0 (BYOR).zip installed correctly.

Looks very bare bones. But what's odd.... is why include Launcher Pro by default if it's a paid app?

And also, when I check Settings -> About Phone, it gives the error:
"The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

When I select the chat button on the home screen it gives the error:
"Could not launch the requested activity"

When I select the globe button on the home screen it gives the error:
"The application Launcher Pro (process android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Last edited by abednego; 03-06-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker

What would be helpful - would be clarification on the video I watched.

This is a BYOR edition ... the video communicated that copying over files would include what features/apps would be installed. The ROM file itself was 300 MB+ ... I just assumed that that included everything.

I don't want to install the upgrade... if I have to re flash the original one to include the needed apps.

Thoughts..? Because as it stands now, I don't even have a web browser...

Last edited by abednego; 03-06-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Evo, BB9670, Samsung Epic

wudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
What would be helpful - would be clarification on the video I watched.

This is a BYOR edition ... the video communicated that copying over files would include what features/apps would be installed. The ROM file itself was 300 MB+ ... I just assumed that that included everything.

I don't want to install the upgrade... if I have to re flash the original one to include the needed apps.

Use a file explorer such as astro and find the midNight Extras folder on your SD card. Flash the standard zip. Then you can add the individual apps within the folder if you want them. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

Are you talking about the 4.1 Upgrade? You really should flash that because it has some bug fixes in it. He made it as an upgrade to avoid having to do a whole new ROM just to fix a few problems.

Quote:
Looks very bare bones. But what's odd.... is why include Launcher Pro by default if it's a paid app?
LauncherPro is available in the Market as a free app. There are some more features that will become available to you if you pay for the full version.

Quote:
And also, when I check Settings -> About Phone, it gives the error:
"The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
The OP clearly states that the initial ROM has a bug that causes the About Phone app to Force Close. We have not identified exactly where the problem is but if you flash the Standard Edition zip it will fix it. I personally think the issue is because the bare bones initial flash is missing all the Google Apps, so maybe if you flash just the Google Apps folder (in midNIGHT Extras) that might fix it.

Quote:
When I select the chat button on the home screen it gives the error:
"Could not launch the requested activity"
Any time you get that message it means that the app that shortcut is associated with is not installed. Is that chat button you are talking about on the home screen proper or is it in the scrolling menu bar at the bottom of LauncherPro? If its a shortcut on your home screen just delete it, go to your app drawer and see if the app is even installed. If its on the scrolling menu bar that is part of LauncherPro, long press the icon and select "change Shortcut" and then make sure its mapped to the correct app.

Quote:
When I select the globe button on the home screen it gives the error:
"The application Launcher Pro (process android.process.acore) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."
If you have not flashed the 4.1 upgrade this is probably one of the side effects. This could also happen if you have not flashed the Standard Edition zip. Also check and make sure that you have to stock browser installed. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that you have to have it installed even if you never use it or it creates problems.

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 03-06-2011 at 09:21 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

The current issues we are all having (which are the subject of 99% of the discussions on this thread) are all because midNIGHT 4.0 was released before the Bonsai ROM was done. ptfdmedic just wanted us to get something that is based on the official Froyo release, but we all know its full of bugs. It looks like the Bonsai team has finished their ROM and they released it on xda a couple of days ago. When ptfdmedic gets the time has has already told us that he intends on re-doing the whole ROM using the Bonsai base, and that should fix most of the issues we are all having.

Everyone using the current version of midNIGHT ROM needs to pay attention to the OP's blog Lost and Tired. He is going through a lot at home right now and hasn't had time to get the updates out that we would all love to have. We just need to have patience. Rob has a lot on his plate these days....
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Evo, BB9670, Samsung Epic

wudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
The current issues we are all having (which are the subject of 99% of the discussions on this thread) are all because midNIGHT 4.0 was released before the Bonsai ROM was done. ptfdmedic just wanted us to get something that is based on the official Froyo release, but we all know its full of bugs. It looks like the Bonsai team has finished their ROM and they released it on xda a couple of days ago. When ptfdmedic gets the time has has already told us that he intends on re-doing the whole ROM using the Bonsai base, and that should fix most of the issues we are all having.

Everyone using the current version of midNIGHT ROM needs to pay attention to the OP's blog Lost and Tired. He is going through a lot at home right now and hasn't had time to get the updates out that we would all love to have. We just need to have patience. Rob has a lot on his plate these days....
Well said Johnny. Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
Let's give abedmego a bit of a break on some of this since he just upgraded from the TP2 to the Epic less than a week ago. We all know that there is a leaning curve that comes from switching from winmo to andriod.

With that said, abednego, do yourself a favor and read the blog on the www.lostandtired.com home page if you haven't already. This will shed some light on what Rob, ptfdmedic, goes through on a daily basis in his life.

Oh, and welcome to our world.

Sent from my Epic 4G running the midNIGHT rom via Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

thegameksk is a n00b

Hey guys. I just installed this rom and everything is going good so far. My question is how do I go about installing apps to my sd card? Thanks
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development