PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omina I910
Carrier: Verison

Anthrax79 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Thinking of dumping my I910 for a Blackberry

After more than two week of constant use I am still not happy with the darn TS keyboard. I have tried 4 or 5 replacement keyboard, and so far FingerKey V2 is the best, giving me about 90% correct key rate.

The whole TS interface on this device just seem off. In large pages when I try to scroll it selects items. When I do want to select, it scrolls!!! And there appears to be no way to adjust the inertia of the scroll. Most of the time when I do manage to get it to scroll it just FLYS to the bottom of the page.

Then there is the phone interface to the TS. Too many times I have not been able to answer a call or switch to a waiting call because the screen was just lost.

I had a Moto Q for two years and really like the SmartPhone version of WM5 on it, and I really think if they had used the SmartPhone version of WM6 with the added touchscreen the phone would have been much more usable. I am really really displeased with how un finger friendly PPC is.

OK I am off my soapbox now. I would really really like to hear feed back from anyone to help me decide about this switch. Primarily if you have switched from a blackberry to an PPC type device OR if you have given up on the Omnia as well.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work
Re: Thinking of dumping my I910 for a Blackberry

this phone rocks!
i would not take it back because of the keyboard.
though i do get frustated at times when i mis-type.
especially when im driving!
but now i text and drive better
i just found out how to record what my phone does so...take a look at my demo and see if it gives you some ideas of how to make your phone more finger friendly
its just the SPB mobile shell with an imarche theme.
Attached Files
File Type: zip demo.zip (426.6 KB, 39 views) Click for barcode!

Phandroid!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omina I910
Carrier: Verison
Threadstarter

Anthrax79 is a n00b

I have played around with the SPB Mobile shell and while it has some really cool features. I could not figure out how to make it stay on top of everything. I was always ending up on my Today screen and having to select SPB menu soft button.

I have also loaded and played with the Manila2D interface and really liked it, but it just takes up too much memory. Maybe when we get a viable ROM that can be used for a Kitchen it will get better.

What about the scroll vs select problem? How have you addressed that?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

I honestly feel people can get way too caught up in "tricking" out winmo, whether they do it, or the OEM does.

I think you need to re-evaluate hjow you use the device.

Samsung menus do not have great, nor accurate, kinetic scrolling. That said, with you using a Q with WM5, I am guessing you can probably live without that.

Use the slider bar to the right. It is included on every Samsung Omnia app that needs scrolling. It can be controlled as slow, or fast as you like, you just have to keep your finger in place, because there is no kinetic scrolling gesture for that bar.

Next, you need to find an interface that works for you as a phone, first.

If the Samsung dialer bothers you, then siwtch to the Windows Mobile dialer. I am sure you are familiar with that one. Personally, I like the Samsung dialer, expecially since I hacked the touch lock out of it.

As for losing them....got me there. Can you elaborate?

If you like an icon based Today screen, consider Samsung Today 2. It is simple, efficient, includes one touch access to many settings, as well as favorites. It plays with other plugins as well, so you can add another plugin or so, for something like the calendar. Its not a terribly exciting interface, but it has a lot of utility.

Samsung widgets is eye candy, with no sustenance or usability.

Smasung Today 1 is a poor attempt at an iPhone like UI. It works well, but lacks flexibility.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

fastevolutionviii is keeping up the good workfastevolutionviii is keeping up the good work

Install SPB Watcher http://www.4shared.com/file/41444901...pbwatcher.html and you will never see your Today screen again.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

smilepak is keeping up the good worksmilepak is keeping up the good work

I've been pondering about this for a few days now. I wonder if BB Storm stable now enough to start mocking with. I play with it on initial launch and went to TP and now Omnia. Might go back heehhe
http://knguyentu.com/wordpress/categ...g/cell-phones/
(Support The Site By Visiting Google's Link)
Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

What would you accomplish with the Storm, that the Omnia cannot, aside from GPS?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid
Carrier: The Now Network

rafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good workrafyrod is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to rafyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax79 View Post
After more than two week of constant use I am still not happy with the darn TS keyboard. I have tried 4 or 5 replacement keyboard, and so far FingerKey V2 is the best, giving me about 90% correct key rate.

The whole TS interface on this device just seem off. In large pages when I try to scroll it selects items. When I do want to select, it scrolls!!! And there appears to be no way to adjust the inertia of the scroll. Most of the time when I do manage to get it to scroll it just FLYS to the bottom of the page.

Then there is the phone interface to the TS. Too many times I have not been able to answer a call or switch to a waiting call because the screen was just lost.

I had a Moto Q for two years and really like the SmartPhone version of WM5 on it, and I really think if they had used the SmartPhone version of WM6 with the added touchscreen the phone would have been much more usable. I am really really displeased with how un finger friendly PPC is.

OK I am off my soapbox now. I would really really like to hear feed back from anyone to help me decide about this switch. Primarily if you have switched from a blackberry to an PPC type device OR if you have given up on the Omnia as well.

Thanks.

well i feel you brother cuz i'm been there to, but i tell you, you gonna see the difference between both well if you change...
what don't you get ppc with a physical keyboard like the touch pro....
i used to have blackberry and i like then dont get me wrong that they suck cuz they dont but, when it come to the thing you do on both is not the same..

first on winmo you could write your custom app, games and download everything that you want on it, but in blackbbery most of the time the app that you download on bb are mostly 3rd party app that usually you have to pay for....

guys pliz correct me if you think a make no sense...
count all the "but" i used on this post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

yojoe600 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyojoe600 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyojoe600 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyojoe600 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if ur gona get a blackberry dont get the storm bc when i tried texting with it... the clickable screen was way to slow for me
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II SCH I920
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpdub73 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I would recommend the Touch Pro before the Storm....you get ur keyboard back and all the custom roms you can stand...

I don't know what ur actually looking for in a Phone but I believe you will be more unhappy with the Blackberry, maybe you should look into the Saga...I normally get upset when I see post like this but I will tell you like everyone else, 30 days is not enough time to get used to the keyboard, and the other features...but since ur patience seems to be at an end, good luck...

Last edited by pdub73; 04-02-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia