PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey
Re: Anyone ever tempted by the Dark Side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiedog View Post
Hehe...A guy cannot have too many gadgets. I just gave away an ipod and sold a zune to cut back(I still have 3 ipods).
That's right, never a such thing as too much gadgets.
Look at Batman, he's got LOTS of gadgets and he's cool as hell.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichss View Post
That's right, never a such thing as too much gadgets.
Look at Batman, he's got LOTS of gadgets and he's cool as hell.
yeah the Mogul and most PPC phones are definitely a gadget lovers device. It almost begs to be tweaked...

... but so far, no amount of tweaking has made the mobile browser great.

The cube is nice but in the end, it's all about the Apps.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ToucH

ScandaLex is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ScandaLex Send a message via Yahoo to ScandaLex

Quote:
Originally Posted by badutahboy View Post
I was tempted by the iphone until I played with one... I tried to do the things I do with my pocketPC, and couldn't successfully do any of them... I had the same issue with the touch...

As for internet... safari may kick PIE's butt, but both AT&T and Tmo have horrible data speeds (that may change inthe near future, but it's still largely true)... I do hate the PIE browser and try to avoid surfing on my phone as much as possible, but I'd rather have fast internet with a mediocre browser than an awesome browser with dial up speeds.
I actually had an iPhone for several months and sold it. Great device, but since it doesnt do everything I needed it to do, its just became another overpriced gadget.

Ive been a Palm user since the Treo 600 came out- up to and including the 755p. I became a PPC (6700) user 3 months before the Mogul came out. IMO, the Mogul is a horrible device. The Touch is OK; I wouldnt call it superb.

As far as tweaking devices, I can honestly say I am bored out of my mind with doing so. I want a phone that works great and continues to work great after several months of usage. I dont want to have to keep checking my phone- as I did with the Mogul and now with the Touch- just to make sure I havent missed a call cause the damned thing wont wake up.

I dont have a clue what my next phone will be; but right now, I am not feeling the WM6 love.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

Frankiedog is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLex View Post
... I want a phone that works great and continues to work great after several months of usage...
Have you tried one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_school_cellphone[1].jpg (35.6 KB, 18 views) Click for barcode!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLex View Post
I actually had an iPhone for several months and sold it. Great device, but since it doesnt do everything I needed it to do, its just became another overpriced gadget.

Ive been a Palm user since the Treo 600 came out- up to and including the 755p. I became a PPC (6700) user 3 months before the Mogul came out. IMO, the Mogul is a horrible device. The Touch is OK; I wouldnt call it superb.

As far as tweaking devices, I can honestly say I am bored out of my mind with doing so. I want a phone that works great and continues to work great after several months of usage. I dont want to have to keep checking my phone- as I did with the Mogul and now with the Touch- just to make sure I havent missed a call cause the damned thing wont wake up.

I dont have a clue what my next phone will be; but right now, I am not feeling the WM6 love.

I'll agree.. the titan does have it's flaws.. and I'm also rapidly burning out on tweaking the device to get it to achieve it's intended capabilities... but the iphone and touch had some basic deficiencies that I couldn't stand dealing with on a daily basis.. primarily a lack of a qwerty keyboard... I sent 6 text messages on my touch and used it for half a day before I decided I was done with it.. I loved my 6700 from the first moment I touched it (the titan took a little whileto love, but mostly because of the things they changed from the 6700 to the 6800.. now I go nuts using a 6700)..

As for the non-ringing issue.. I've heard a lot of people talk about it, but never really experienced it. On occasion It'll only ring once or twice before going to VM, and I've had a few phantom missed calls, but I've had that problem with every phone I've ever owned and every carrier I've ever used... I haven't noticed that the WM devices are any more prone to it than a standard cellular handset.

The truth of the matter is, the perfect device doesn't exist... my thought is that the tilt is the closest thing to perfect, but even it has major driver issues... Ultimately, there's nothing out there that I think is better than my titan.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

otacon72 is a n00b

I like the idea of an all in one unit that will do everything but since I use my Mogul for work as well, Exchange, etc. I like to put it down sometimes and fire up the iTouch for music, etc. For what the Titan does I think it's the best thing going right now. I do really miss the one-handed op of my 700p though. I have a feeling when the 800w finally comes this summer I'll be switching.

If the iPhone 2 and above ever comes to Sprint... I'd consider it. The iPhone as it now is just a glorified iPod. Add Outlook/Exchange mail, Rev A and few other things I might try it.

Last edited by otacon72; 04-02-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

oh wow! the OP just gave me a flashback to my Cassiopeia E-100... ahh the days of Avantgo mobile 'channels' in leau of an actual browser and real websites. thanks for the stroll down memory lane on that one!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6800

warlock is a n00b

slap a keyboard on the iphone and let it run linux and i'm on it faster than you can blink.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

digdug is a n00b

I'm in my 30 day trial period now on my Mogul, I'm leaning towards the the Touch (which my my wife has). I'll definitely miss the WiFi, keyboard, and built-in GPS (hopefully, I'll gain back the GPS, please, oh, please let there be a real rom update soon). I won't miss the weight/bulkiness or the dismal speaker volume. Oh, the aweful placement of the power button and stylus is in the top 3, why the hel#$#?

My history with CE devices goes back to the Phillips Velo, then Casio E-11, then E-125, then Sharp 4500, then to the Dell Axim X51. I tried a Palm and it was just too limited for me. Tried a Blackberry and it just didn't seem intuitive to me. Probably because I've been a CE man for too many years.

My idea device would be physically similar to a HTC Touch, with a number pad, WifI, and GPS. I hope Sprint releases the HTC Dual before my 30 days is up, yeah right. I would easily pay another $100, maybye $200 for a keyboard/Wife/GPS. Heck, they already got me in for couple of C note, what's another one.

And if Apple made Safari for the CE device, lights out PIE.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There is no such thing as a perfect device... but if just some of the issues could be worked out, it would be pretty darn close.

For me, it would be a decent browser... for others it probably different.

(I also wonder why there isn't a CDMA version of the TILT... that also would be tempting...)

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison