PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone ever tempted by the Dark Side?

I've been a loyal PPC user for since almost the inception. (anyone remember the Cassiopeia E-125?). I am currently a generally satisfied Mogul user but my friend has an iphone. Yes, I'm aware of the limitations of the iphone but when I use it, I just can't help thinking... "why can't PPCs be like this"... in particular the browser. Yes, I know about skyfire, mini opera, opera, etc... but in reality none of them really hold a candle to mobile safari. Like most people, I have unlimited Data but other than ICS, I don't really feel like I'm fully using my data plan... besides using PIE in an absolute pinch.

I'll probably never switch because I'm too cheap to leave Sprint but is it just me or does anyone else wonder "wow, Windows Mobile is already on version 6+ and the Apple did a remarkable job on version 1 of the iphone... (OK, I guess the Newton was a bomb...)

I'll likely stick with my GPS enabled, Internet sharing, Kitchen-Enabled... Mogul but ... it's tempting sometimes.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

Frankiedog is just getting started
Re: Anyone ever tempted by the Dark Side?

Get the iTouch like I did and just use WMWifiRouter on your Mogul with it.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiedog View Post
Get the iTouch like I did and just use WMWifiRouter on your Mogul with it.
Ideally, I don't want to be carrying two devices around.

The Mogul is capable of playing music and has a mobile browser... Why do you have to get another device? Just getting a iTouch just REINFORCES the idea in my original post.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Huggybear is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post

The Mogul is capable of playing music and has a mobile browser... Why do you have to get another device? Just getting a iTouch just REINFORCES the idea in my original post.
The only thing better for my is the keyboard on my p4000. I can't stand that virtual thing. It doesn't allow for speed or practicality. Other than that, you're right it's basically the same thing.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

I know some people love the iPhone, and there are some that hate it.
Is one actually better than the other? No, it depends on what the person likes.
Yes PPC being version 6 and iPhone being the first version for Apple (let's not count the Newton). BUt also remember how much longer PPCs have been around before the IPhone. ALso remember the tech abilities today compared to when the PPCs first came out.
Apple was able to sit down with current tech and say "Here what we can do, and here what we want."
PPCs had to evolve from what they were, and alot of times the evolution process of things like PPCs are slow, due to the fact that not everybody and their brother have one, so it remains at a level that people are used to, and the changes are done slowly to keep loyal PPC users using and buying PPCs.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichss View Post
I know some people love the iPhone, and there are some that hate it.
Is one actually better than the other? No, it depends on what the person likes.
Yes PPC being version 6 and iPhone being the first version for Apple (let's not count the Newton). BUt also remember how much longer PPCs have been around before the IPhone. ALso remember the tech abilities today compared to when the PPCs first came out.
Apple was able to sit down with current tech and say "Here what we can do, and here what we want."
PPCs had to evolve from what they were, and alot of times the evolution process of things like PPCs are slow, due to the fact that not everybody and their brother have one, so it remains at a level that people are used to, and the changes are done slowly to keep loyal PPC users using and buying PPCs.
I agree with everthing you said but I just hope that the PPC gets a hint and starts to... do I dare say... copy some of the innovations soon. I'm just afraid it will take WM8 or 9 to actually see some of it.

Like I said, I'm sticking with my Mogul but it's tempting to see what is out there and what is possible in mobile devices today.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
dearls

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

face it as males we are never happy with what we have and always want to try the other one..... might play but will stick with my windows since I love to mess with it so much thats half the fun of owning one
Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Robin Hood of CyberSpace
Pocket PC: Lumia 635
Carrier: T-Mobile

CyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuffCyberMonkey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to CyberMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to CyberMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearls View Post
face it as males we are never happy with what we have and always want to try the other one..... might play but will stick with my windows since I love to mess with it so much thats half the fun of owning one
Absolutely. PPCs have been out long enough to have sites like this one, and other that people can share info on how to do pretty much anything with it.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

badutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good workbadutahboy is keeping up the good work

I was tempted by the iphone until I played with one... I tried to do the things I do with my pocketPC, and couldn't successfully do any of them... I had the same issue with the touch...

As for internet... safari may kick PIE's butt, but both AT&T and Tmo have horrible data speeds (that may change inthe near future, but it's still largely true)... I do hate the PIE browser and try to avoid surfing on my phone as much as possible, but I'd rather have fast internet with a mediocre browser than an awesome browser with dial up speeds.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

Frankiedog is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post

Hehe...A guy cannot have too many gadgets. I just gave away an ipod and sold a zune to cut back(I still have 3 ipods).

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison