PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

CMeys is keeping up the good workCMeys is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrade from Treo755p

We're on Sprint and I need to get a new phone for my husband who has had a Treo755p for years. I think he'd be best off with Android and with a physical keyboard, but he will consider a virtual keyboard. His needs are very minimal. Mostly voice, some texts, a little email, calendar, very little other stuff used regularly.

It would be nice if we could easily get his contacts and calendar stuff out of the Palm Desktop and still have a way to sync with Windows XP (maybe through Outlook 2003), but could probably live with GMail sync if we can get the stuff out of Palm Desktop.

Must have is battery life of one day with moderate voice use and almost no data use.

I've been looking at the Samsung Replenish, especially since it presently is without the $10/mo. date surcharge.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro Dos

vzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Transform ultra

Sent from my Touch Pro 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

If your husband likes it simple and easy, check out the Arrive.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: Upgrade from Treo755p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

If your husband likes it simple and easy, check out the Arrive.
I see that's a Windows phone. I think he'd be better off with Android since that's what I'm using and I am familiar with to help him. He is rather clueless about these things.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzihome View Post
Transform ultra

Is the Transform Ultra better than the HTC EVO Shift 4G which they've got on special now (free to upgrade)?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The transform is a low end phone and I wouldn't recommend it. Most people that start using Android on a low end phone end up not liking Android. I recommend a phone like the evo, Samsung galaxy s2. I'd he wants a keyboard then for now the best choice is the htc arrive which is windows but its still a great phone. If he can get the original evo for under $150 on Ebay or craigslist and save his upgrade for a little longer that may be a better choice as more new phones will be released some which may have a keyboard. Good luck deciding!

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
The transform is a low end phone and I wouldn't recommend it. Most people that start using Android on a low end phone end up not liking Android. I recommend a phone like the evo, Samsung galaxy s2. I'd he wants a keyboard then for now the best choice is the htc arrive which is windows but its still a great phone. If he can get the original evo for under $150 on Ebay or craigslist and save his upgrade for a little longer that may be a better choice as more new phones will be released some which may have a keyboard. Good luck deciding!

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
I think the Samsung Galaxy S2 is way overkill for his needs (and its a $200 upgrade price). He probably isn't interested in getting something from eBay or Craig's List, but I'll check. What do you think of the HTC EVO Shift 4G which at the moment is on special for a free upgrade?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker

vzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvzihome is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMeys View Post
I think the Samsung Galaxy S2 is way overkill for his needs (and its a $200 upgrade price). He probably isn't interested in getting something from eBay or Craig's List, but I'll check. What do you think of the HTC EVO Shift 4G which at the moment is on special for a free upgrade?
Why is the ultra a low end phone? Besides it doesnt carry the "4g" fee...i can play onlive really good...anyways i was under the impression that you didnt want a phone that had the $10 "4g" fee. In that case evo 4g from ebay would be a good start or get a used touch pro 2 and use winmo or android

Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzihome View Post
Why is the ultra a low end phone? Besides it doesnt carry the "4g" fee...i can play onlive really good...anyways i was under the impression that you didnt want a phone that had the $10 "4g" fee. In that case evo 4g from ebay would be a good start or get a used touch pro 2 and use winmo or android

I'm not the one who said the Ultra is a low end phone. That was someone else. The Spring page for the Ultra says "Plans for this phone require our $10/mo. Premium Data add-on charge in addition to one of the plans below". The only smartphone there that seems to not require this is the Replenish which is why I am considering it.

I had a TP2 and am thrilled to be rid of it and using Android (Evo 3D) -- the TP2 was unbelievably laggy (using a custom Rom).

What about the HTC EVO Shift 4G which I can presently get free for upgrade from Sprint?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMeys View Post
I'm not the one who said the Ultra is a low end phone. That was someone else. The Spring page for the Ultra says "Plans for this phone require our $10/mo. Premium Data add-on charge in addition to one of the plans below". The only smartphone there that seems to not require this is the Replenish which is why I am considering it.

I had a TP2 and am thrilled to be rid of it and using Android (Evo 3D) -- the TP2 was unbelievably laggy (using a custom Rom).

What about the HTC EVO Shift 4G which I can presently get free for upgrade from Sprint?
Sorry didnt mean you just didnt want to create two posts, my bad. Actually im running android on my tp2 and it runs like a champ thanks to ACL, if you dont want to spend money shift 4g would be the smart choice but in my opinion id rather pay for something i want and like rather than just settling for something free

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison