PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Upgrade from Treo755p (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148564)

CMeys 01-01-2012 07:20 PM

Upgrade from Treo755p

We're on Sprint and I need to get a new phone for my husband who has had a Treo755p for years. I think he'd be best off with Android and with a physical keyboard, but he will consider a virtual keyboard. His needs are very minimal. Mostly voice, some texts, a little email, calendar, very little other stuff used regularly.

It would be nice if we could easily get his contacts and calendar stuff out of the Palm Desktop and still have a way to sync with Windows XP (maybe through Outlook 2003), but could probably live with GMail sync if we can get the stuff out of Palm Desktop.

Must have is battery life of one day with moderate voice use and almost no data use.

I've been looking at the Samsung Replenish, especially since it presently is without the $10/mo. date surcharge.

What are your thoughts?

vzihome 01-01-2012 11:28 PM

Transform ultra

Sent from my Touch Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Dr.8820 01-02-2012 09:04 AM

Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

If your husband likes it simple and easy, check out the Arrive.

CMeys 01-02-2012 09:45 AM

Re: Upgrade from Treo755p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2162683)
Wirelessly posted (ACS WP7 Guide Mango'd: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

If your husband likes it simple and easy, check out the Arrive.

I see that's a Windows phone. I think he'd be better off with Android since that's what I'm using and I am familiar with to help him. He is rather clueless about these things.

CMeys 01-02-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vzihome (Post 2162637)
Transform ultra

Is the Transform Ultra better than the HTC EVO Shift 4G which they've got on special now (free to upgrade)?

yankees45us 01-02-2012 11:53 AM

The transform is a low end phone and I wouldn't recommend it. Most people that start using Android on a low end phone end up not liking Android. I recommend a phone like the evo, Samsung galaxy s2. I'd he wants a keyboard then for now the best choice is the htc arrive which is windows but its still a great phone. If he can get the original evo for under $150 on Ebay or craigslist and save his upgrade for a little longer that may be a better choice as more new phones will be released some which may have a keyboard. Good luck deciding!

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network

CMeys 01-02-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees45us (Post 2162702)
The transform is a low end phone and I wouldn't recommend it. Most people that start using Android on a low end phone end up not liking Android. I recommend a phone like the evo, Samsung galaxy s2. I'd he wants a keyboard then for now the best choice is the htc arrive which is windows but its still a great phone. If he can get the original evo for under $150 on Ebay or craigslist and save his upgrade for a little longer that may be a better choice as more new phones will be released some which may have a keyboard. Good luck deciding!

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network

I think the Samsung Galaxy S2 is way overkill for his needs (and its a $200 upgrade price). He probably isn't interested in getting something from eBay or Craig's List, but I'll check. What do you think of the HTC EVO Shift 4G which at the moment is on special for a free upgrade?

vzihome 01-02-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMeys (Post 2162708)
I think the Samsung Galaxy S2 is way overkill for his needs (and its a $200 upgrade price). He probably isn't interested in getting something from eBay or Craig's List, but I'll check. What do you think of the HTC EVO Shift 4G which at the moment is on special for a free upgrade?

Why is the ultra a low end phone? Besides it doesnt carry the "4g" fee...i can play onlive really good...anyways i was under the impression that you didnt want a phone that had the $10 "4g" fee. In that case evo 4g from ebay would be a good start or get a used touch pro 2 and use winmo or android ;)

CMeys 01-02-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vzihome (Post 2162734)
Why is the ultra a low end phone? Besides it doesnt carry the "4g" fee...i can play onlive really good...anyways i was under the impression that you didnt want a phone that had the $10 "4g" fee. In that case evo 4g from ebay would be a good start or get a used touch pro 2 and use winmo or android ;)

I'm not the one who said the Ultra is a low end phone. That was someone else. The Spring page for the Ultra says "Plans for this phone require our $10/mo. Premium Data add-on charge in addition to one of the plans below". The only smartphone there that seems to not require this is the Replenish which is why I am considering it.

I had a TP2 and am thrilled to be rid of it and using Android (Evo 3D) -- the TP2 was unbelievably laggy (using a custom Rom).

What about the HTC EVO Shift 4G which I can presently get free for upgrade from Sprint?

vzihome 01-02-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMeys (Post 2162735)
I'm not the one who said the Ultra is a low end phone. That was someone else. The Spring page for the Ultra says "Plans for this phone require our $10/mo. Premium Data add-on charge in addition to one of the plans below". The only smartphone there that seems to not require this is the Replenish which is why I am considering it.

I had a TP2 and am thrilled to be rid of it and using Android (Evo 3D) -- the TP2 was unbelievably laggy (using a custom Rom).

What about the HTC EVO Shift 4G which I can presently get free for upgrade from Sprint?

Sorry didnt mean you just didnt want to create two posts, my bad. Actually im running android on my tp2 and it runs like a champ thanks to ACL, if you dont want to spend money shift 4g would be the smart choice but in my opinion id rather pay for something i want and like rather than just settling for something free