PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 850e' / HTC Touch Pro 2 / Sprint Evo 4G !
Carrier: Sprint

Sprints700wx is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 800w Reviews

Im thinking of upgrading to the 800 i been a 700wx user for 2 years and think its time for an upgrade.. was thinking for the Mogul but not really into sliding something up to text.. love that keys at ure finger tips... Main Questiions....

1) Is the Speaker phone louder on this then the crappy 700wx ..?

2) And could i use/Or will the the 700wx stylus fit in the 800 being that i hear the stylus is flimsy....?

3) And is the battery from the 700wx and the 800 a big differnce?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sza3434 View Post
I find it funny how a lot of people whine about battery life. Well guess what, if it wasn't the battery, you'd be complaining about the size of the device.
What would be the size increase for a battery with 1800 mAh? Same footprint and one mm thicker, and seven to eight grams of additional weight at most? I work in industrial design and I would not say those noting the paltry battery life are "whining" they are making an observation.

Was there a hue and cry and demand for the Palm line to be thinner? I don't see it. Palm buyers seem to be utility focused.

My own feeling is the "whiners" were probably a handful of iPhone focused marketing people at Palm six months ago overruling ID people concerned with utlity, and forcing the use of a grossly underpowered battery.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

mnxd9 is a n00b
Unhappy Throwing in the towel

Well it's been 10 days, and I find myself getting more annoyed daily with the Treo, first the battery, Yeah, yeah I know, I've given it it's chance, took proper care of it, and it's still rediculously poor, I can't get through the day with minimal use, and if i want to really use it, the charger won't charge it as fast as I can use it. I'm fighting a losing battle... I've tried the tweaks, I've turned everything off, I did the update...

All that being said I still concider that somewhat minor. I'm tired of it freezing up and I'm tired of soft resets, I'm tired of the poor phone, it's always has some static, I never EVER get a perfect clear call, doesn't matter where or if I have perfect service. Let alone trying just to use the phone is difficult enough. The headphones suck. Sure some if the interface is me, and not being used to the phone or software, but I really wonder what it has to be so difficult?

I do have to say I think there is promise that I'll have another PPC again, I'm going to wait and see the offers from HTC, might take one of those for a test spin.

I'm really going to miss the anytime internet that actually works, it's so darn cool to stream media through Orb, and I'm watching live TV or recorded programs I tivo'ed or instanly accessing my 50K mp3's. Lets not even start on how much I'm going to miss the ability to tether again....

I guess I want a better phone before PPC, I'm not willing to compromise a decent sounding phone for the internet.

So it goes back tomorrow, I'll be back to my katanya and atleast I'll have a good working phone again, and I'll be back to being miserable.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

What a shame, as my 800W has been trouble free. I use it for work, email, spread sheet, and so forth. I just installed the Seidio 2600ma battery today and that has really done a lot toward increasing usage.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 6800

hippity.hoppity is keeping up the good workhippity.hoppity is keeping up the good work
Re: Throwing in the towel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnxd9 View Post
Well it's been 10 days, and I find myself getting more annoyed daily with the Treo, first the battery, Yeah, yeah I know, I've given it it's chance, took proper care of it, and it's still rediculously poor, I can't get through the day with minimal use, and if i want to really use it, the charger won't charge it as fast as I can use it. I'm fighting a losing battle... I've tried the tweaks, I've turned everything off, I did the update...

All that being said I still concider that somewhat minor. I'm tired of it freezing up and I'm tired of soft resets, I'm tired of the poor phone, it's always has some static, I never EVER get a perfect clear call, doesn't matter where or if I have perfect service. Let alone trying just to use the phone is difficult enough. The headphones suck. Sure some if the interface is me, and not being used to the phone or software, but I really wonder what it has to be so difficult?

I do have to say I think there is promise that I'll have another PPC again, I'm going to wait and see the offers from HTC, might take one of those for a test spin.

I'm really going to miss the anytime internet that actually works, it's so darn cool to stream media through Orb, and I'm watching live TV or recorded programs I tivo'ed or instanly accessing my 50K mp3's. Lets not even start on how much I'm going to miss the ability to tether again....

I guess I want a better phone before PPC, I'm not willing to compromise a decent sounding phone for the internet.

So it goes back tomorrow, I'll be back to my katanya and atleast I'll have a good working phone again, and I'll be back to being miserable.
I'm in the same boat. The 800w is a really awful phone and only a decent PDA. The buggy GPS and dim screen are annoying but the terrible earpiece clarity and outgoing sound quality are deal breakers for me.

You'll like what you see from HTC though. They do a much better job with the phone side than Palm ever has. Palm's forte was minor customizations and tweaks that got the most out of WM. With WM6.1 and the great minds here and at xda, Palm's tweaks aren't needed any longer and their lack of engineering knowledge and quality control has become totally unacceptable.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Have you tried a different theme in the dim screen arena? Awful phone? Ok, but mine is not and I have had 3 other WM convergent devices to compare it against. Quality control? No device new to the public is worry free. As for battery life, the 2600ma battery is running great since 5AM this morning - down to 82% with the usual stuff being done.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM
N00b

Amber00Dak is a n00b

I am also diisgusted with this phone. Im on my 3rd one in less than a month. Between the battery life, speakerphone, lack of soft-reset, and quite a few other things im just sick of it. I have contacted Sprint, they will send me a Diamond once they are available and if I decide I still want a keyboard, I was told I can exchange the Diamond for the Touch Pro once it is available. Just an idea for anyone else tired of messing with this POS.

As far as the battery life goes, I dont think that a higher mah version should be mandatory to get the phone to last more than 8 hours with normal use.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Touch Pro

afbond03 is becoming a great contributor

I had high praises for this phone after using it for a month I guess you could say I am overly bored with it. I managed to hang onto my Mogul for a year but this has just become so boring to use. I think I might have to move on before to much longer.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 PM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber00Dak View Post
Between the battery life, speakerphone, lack of soft-reset, and quite a few other things im just sick of it. .
My speakerphone went to heck today. 45 minutes with support, two soft resets, a hard reset later it still sounds terrible. It was working fine and now is completely unintelligible
Old 09-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 800w

gralmic is a n00b

Hello thought i would add 1 or 2 thoughts to the discussion. Use my 800W typically as a modem (sprint phone as modem plan) and mobile web access while on the road. I have a regular cell i use for most of my phone calls so i can't tell what the battery life on the treo is for voice calls. Bought it on aug 5th to replace my apache (the battery life was deteriorating on the apache).

Was on the internet today for 3 hours 28 mins before the Treo gave me a warning at 9% battery remaining. I didn't notice what the battery was at before hooking up this morning probably above 90% (charged it last night then unplugged and left it on standby overnight)

Tethered using bluetooth, EVDO connection & screen on the whole time. (you can't let it go to sleep or you lose your b/t and internet connection.

I can't say how long the apache used to go between charges as i never measured it like i did with the treo this morning. To me it seems like the treo lasts longer when hooked to the internet as a modem and it also seems to keep an EVDO connection better than the apache did.

All in all i like the design of the Apache better but the Treo hasn't locked up on me yet, so i'm happy with the Treo so far but i do miss the slide out keyboard with the larger keys. Can't have everything i guess.

Just my 2 cents worth.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w