PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint getting HTC Rhodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
since the iphone, as by far the best selling PDA phone on the market, is the gold standard for this genre, this HD is the first WM phone to meet or exceed its features. However, i find it dissapointing that this phone still lacks the raw processing power of the iphone.

all that being said, this phone would be a leap in WM phone tech, and I would buy it. (unlike the pro/diamond, which i see as just a small step upgrade over the touch/mogul)
While the iPhone is an excellent device, I would hardly call it the gold standard for "PDA phones". Most people who get iPhones aren't as concerned with PDA features as they are multimedia and entertainment features. Even my last gen WM phone beats the iPhone in PDA features (instantly syncs email, calendar, contacts, tasks with my Exchange server) and offered 3G data, true GPS, and a proper keyboard long before the iPhone offered such things. What it lacks is the screen of the iPhone and the UI of the iPhone which makes things simpler for the less technically inclined. The battery on my device is easy to swap whereas this is an impossible task on an iphone. iPhone has me beat with the headphone jack which makes music listening easier.

My long-winded point is that the iPhone may be miles ahead as far as popularity and market awareness but as far as functionality there are still quite a few things lacking on that platform. I think if a competitor (RIM, MS, etc.) wants to put out a killer device, they will do so by succeeding in those places where the iPhone has failed, not where it is strong.

edit: and the HD or Rhodium are also nothing but small steps over the Touch/Mogul until they get some serious hardware and software upgrades. Until then, they are basically the same software running on the same hardware with a bigger screen and a bit more RAM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

And I was so looking forward to the HD.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodorian View Post

edit: and the HD or Rhodium are also nothing but small steps over the Touch/Mogul until they get some serious hardware and software upgrades. Until then, they are basically the same software running on the same hardware with a bigger screen and a bit more RAM.

Not to make a obvious statement but that's what everyone truly wants is a larger screen...Also if Win Mobile was easier to ise for first time users the popularity would sky rocket...Nice clean interface so "simple" people have what they want while others like "PPCGEEKS" can turn their phones into what they like...

Last edited by hooover; 12-18-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooover View Post
Not to make a obvious statement but that's what everyone truly wants is a larger screen...Also if Win Mobile was easier to ise for first time users the popularity would sky rocket...Nice clean interface so "simple" people have what they want while others like "PPCGEEKS" can turn their phones into what they like...
I agree that people want a nice large screen. I was just responding to the idea that the HD is somehow miles ahead of the Diamond/Touch Pro. In my opinion, keeping the same device but adding a bigger screen is an incremental update, not a groundbreaking one. New OS or some serious new internal hardware would be a groundbreaking update but there is no real functional or ease-of-use upgrade from the HD. My main concern is with buying something like HD for $400-500 when all signs point to a serious update to the WM line within the next 6 months to a year. I guess maybe some folks can buy a new high-end device every 6 months but for those of us with budgets it seems silly to shell out that kind of scratch for an incremental update when there is a lot more on the near horizon.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Threadstarter

jlechner is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
since the iphone, as by far the best selling PDA phone on the market, is the gold standard for this genre, this HD is the first WM phone to meet or exceed its features. However, i find it dissapointing that this phone still lacks the raw processing power of the iphone.

all that being said, this phone would be a leap in WM phone tech, and I would buy it. (unlike the pro/diamond, which i see as just a small step upgrade over the touch/mogul)

Actually, it has the same hardware as the Diamond or TP. Only diff is it's quad band and has a WVGA screen and an mSD slot.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I agree that people want a nice large screen. I was just responding to the idea that the HD is somehow miles ahead of the Diamond/Touch Pro. In my opinion, keeping the same device but adding a bigger screen is an incremental update, not a groundbreaking one. New OS or some serious new internal hardware would be a groundbreaking update but there is no real functional or ease-of-use upgrade from the HD. My main concern is with buying something like HD for $400-500 when all signs point to a serious update to the WM line within the next 6 months to a year. I guess maybe some folks can buy a new high-end device every 6 months but for those of us with budgets it seems silly to shell out that kind of scratch for an incremental update when there is a lot more on the near horizon.

I completely understand what you mean and I could'nt agree more...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Lurker

gatortrim is a n00b

yeah true it would be perrty slick to see the touch hd with sprint would give them a serious all touch screen phone in there line up. But i am a lil doubtful that it will be coming, with the pending news of a updated G1 more than likely coming turn of the year.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortrim View Post
yeah true it would be perrty slick to see the touch hd with sprint would give them a serious all touch screen phone in there line up. But i am a lil doubtful that it will be coming, with the pending news of a updated G1 more than likely coming turn of the year.
Not to mention that these WM devices just don't always "do it" for the majority of users. Face it, the same way I don't know how to muck around in my car's engine, most people don't know how to flash ROMs, find and install cabs, or cook up something in the kitchen. Most people want the flashy and the pretty but they also want the easy. While these devices are great for us, they don't seem to sell enough to convince carriers to pick them up. Not to mention, the giant-screen-no-keyboard thing is totally consumer-oriented. People like that because it is attractive and good for watching movies or playing games. That form factor isn't always the best for business or power users. I couldn't imagine handing my mom a Touch HD but she would grasp an iPhone out of the box.

Love it or hate it, Apple has made their fortune by idiot-proofing and making things pretty. They have invented the personal tech version of the automatic transmission. How many people buy manual shift anymore now that they don't need to? I imagine it's about analogous to the percentage of us using WM devices

(and yes, I drive a stick too)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue + Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

CenFlo is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I agree with you, but I'll be happy with a larger screen than my Diamond has, that's what I'm wanting. A little more real estate without to much weight any hopefully not to much more thickness or none at all. With the increased footprint a larger battery will also be nice as it should be in there. More power in these devices is a definite +

WM7 will eventually be out, but who knows exactly when? I'll deal with WM6 for the time being and upgrade as needed. It's part of the process and I accept it.

As for the incremental upgrades it's the norm in the tech world. Look at AMD, Intel, HTC, (insert technology company here) and they all do it. Yeah, it sucks but it's part of the product life cycle and it helps offset development costs by giving a return on the investment(s) [ROI].

Most of these companies could easily leap frog their own products and bring to market their developing technology sooner than they do. Again, it's the ROI they look at as well as the consumer need and competitive forces that play in to when a product will drop and be sold to the masses.

If I wanted an HD NOW, I'd pay the $800 + and go to a GSM provider. Sure it'd be cool to be the 1st guy in my neighborhood to have one, but that's the reason I want it.

Hell, with all the issues I've had with my Diamond and the GPS not consistently working I may go back to my Vogue and use it until the HD comes available at Alltel.

At the end of the day it really comes down to how much $$ you want to spend for what makes you feel happy.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6700 > Mogul > TP > TP2 > Ego 4G > Evo3D > Evo-ltE

PhyscoAssassinx knows their stuffPhyscoAssassinx knows their stuffPhyscoAssassinx knows their stuffPhyscoAssassinx knows their stuffPhyscoAssassinx knows their stuffPhyscoAssassinx knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlechner View Post
Ya I know. I might be gettin the HD since it'll work here. But I'm curious what this thing is.
im hearing rumors that HTC Rhodium is a HD Pro Oh GOd I WOuld Soooooo Love that i Love the SLide Out Keyboards

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives