View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
neodorian
Halfway to VIP Status

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint getting HTC Rhodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
since the iphone, as by far the best selling PDA phone on the market, is the gold standard for this genre, this HD is the first WM phone to meet or exceed its features. However, i find it dissapointing that this phone still lacks the raw processing power of the iphone.

all that being said, this phone would be a leap in WM phone tech, and I would buy it. (unlike the pro/diamond, which i see as just a small step upgrade over the touch/mogul)
While the iPhone is an excellent device, I would hardly call it the gold standard for "PDA phones". Most people who get iPhones aren't as concerned with PDA features as they are multimedia and entertainment features. Even my last gen WM phone beats the iPhone in PDA features (instantly syncs email, calendar, contacts, tasks with my Exchange server) and offered 3G data, true GPS, and a proper keyboard long before the iPhone offered such things. What it lacks is the screen of the iPhone and the UI of the iPhone which makes things simpler for the less technically inclined. The battery on my device is easy to swap whereas this is an impossible task on an iphone. iPhone has me beat with the headphone jack which makes music listening easier.

My long-winded point is that the iPhone may be miles ahead as far as popularity and market awareness but as far as functionality there are still quite a few things lacking on that platform. I think if a competitor (RIM, MS, etc.) wants to put out a killer device, they will do so by succeeding in those places where the iPhone has failed, not where it is strong.

edit: and the HD or Rhodium are also nothing but small steps over the Touch/Mogul until they get some serious hardware and software upgrades. Until then, they are basically the same software running on the same hardware with a bigger screen and a bit more RAM.